Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 11-30-2011, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

etw - the stupid meeting thing is awesome. I try to have a meeting once a month. We even just discusses the same thing - tire plugs! Easy, cheap, but yet never really thought about. The big thing is keepiing everyone informed or feeling part of the company.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:00 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swampy View Post
but if you get a CDL your personal car insurance goes up.
Mine didn't. Maybe it's time for you to get a new insurance company.

There is no logical reason to raise it. Should get a discount of anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Oomkes
Your argument falls flatter than a 3 day old roadkill squirrel.
Old 12-01-2011, 10:34 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwman View Post
Couple quick shots of various projects going on. Setting the ground work for a boulder wall which will stage the pool, fireplace, outdoor kitchen, pergola, and landscape to be installed shortly.

Second project is a natural stone we brought in from China, pretty neat. We are getting into more and more natural stone work and mortored walls, though we still have some paver patios sold. We are installing all the landscape over the next two weeks.

Third project is a pool project featuring natural stone steps, spa, landscape and lighting.

Busy spring.
When you are laying natural stone, I see that you are laying the base out of modified and and then using sand. My question is what do you use in the joints do you use mortar or do you use polymeric sand like for pavers?
Old 12-03-2011, 07:19 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

You can't use mortor in our climate. It'll crack without a concrete base with the cold temps. We use poly sand.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-05-2011, 03:44 PM
LawnSite Member

ETW,
I noticed you have ICPI stickers on some of your trucks, which looks pretty good. I have always wanted to get into basic hardscaping since I am studying civil engineering and it is amazing to see how precise/complicated your line of work can be.
I have a few questions though:
1. Is ICPI the main organization for certifying contractors to install pavers professionally?
2. After being certified, do you have to request permission to put their logo on company trucks?

Thanks,
Blake
Old 12-06-2011, 07:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes ICPI is the main certification. I think you have to be an ICPI member, not just pass the test, to put the stickers on your trucks, but don't quote me on that. It's been a while, that may have changed.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 12-07-2011, 09:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Do you feel its a negative at all that you dont say something the landscaping or hardscapes in you name eg. earth turf & wood landscapes? or not?
Old 12-08-2011, 08:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

No not at all. We have the tagline underneath it which explains what we do, and we have become well enough established in the area that people recognize the name and know what it represents.

There were two criteria when I came up with the name. First, I didn't want my personal name in it at all. I know alot of companies have thier own last name inbedded in their company name, and that is fine. I look at it from the perspective if way down the road I wanted to sell the company I think it'll be alot more appealing if someone business with a neutral name. Face it, would you want to own "Bob's Landscaping" if your name was Bill Smith? Second, I wanted it to contain elements of what we do.

Once again, just my opinion on it.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 12-08-2011, 08:32 AM
LawnSite Member

I just wanted to drop you a note and say I enjoyed reading about your company in September 2011's Lawn and Landscape magazine. Great business you have there. Keep up the good work!
Old 12-08-2011, 04:33 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwman View Post
we have become well enough established in the area that people recognize the name and know what it represents.
at the begining did you ever have anyone asking you what you guys did?