Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 01-25-2012, 07:20 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's an added bonus to the GROW conference in Dayton in February.

Marty and I chatted today and he asked me if I would be willing to be interviewed on stage for 30 minutes to discuss some of my sales tactics and how we market to the high end clientele so successfully. After thinking about it for awhile I decided to accept. I rarely talk about this in public and definitely not on a public forum as we keep this information very close to us. I'm sure you will find it insightful and will gain some tips if this is the market you are looking to penetrate.

There isn't much time left to sign up for this conference.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 01-25-2012, 09:40 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I think that is a smart decision and can certainly be a big privelege and opportunity for you. I'm sure anyone who listens intently will benefit greatly. Have fun ETW!
Old 01-31-2012, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddywater View Post
About the sweet spot. What do you think companies should net with a 1 mil gross? How much for 3 mil gross? It seems like the bigger you get, the lower and lower the profit percentage gets and at some point it isn't worth the headache.
I can assure you, this is not the case! Its all about the business you have, and how you run it. As Jarod mentioned its different depending on what part of the industry you are specializing in. Run a good business right and you will make good money no matter what industry you are in.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:19 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I plan to share some of those 3D imaging shots with my Landscape Design class, a lot of them have never seen anything like that before!
Old 02-12-2012, 09:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Grow 2012 update!

I returned late yesterday afternoon from another great GROW Conference in Dayton Ohio with Marty Grunder. It was another packed 48 hours of great ideas and things to help take your company to the next level. Larry Winget was there and he is as blunt as they come and lays it on the line. There was some great information from him too.

I truly enjoyed networking with other great business owners from around the country and have a lot of respect for those peers whom Iíve gotten to know well over the years. I learn an awful lot from them.

On Friday I had the opportunity to speak to everyone at the conference as Marty interviewed me on stage. Several of my other friends were interviewed as well over the 3 day conference. One of the questions Marty asked me was, ďwhat was your biggest mistake youíve made with ETW?Ē Powerful question, it should read what are my biggest mistakes. I thought about this for a moment and said something like this to the audience. ďNot sitting where each and every one of you were 5 years ago. Not realizing that as my business grows there are things in which I canít figure out on my own and need great consultants like Marty, strong peers in the industry, and awesome conferences like this one here in Dayton. As I look around the audience I see faces of young business owners who are probably doing $150k, $250k, $350k a year in sales and they have made the sacrifice to be here to learn. I commend them immensely in realizing this early on in their careers. I know some of them personally and Iíd buy stock in their companies in a heartbeat because I know where they will end up.Ē There's no excuse on why you shouldn't have attended this conference when I see people like this in the audience, unless you flat out don't care about building your business.

There was another item in which I was going to say that I didnít get a chance too. I was amazed at how many attendees mentioned to me this week that they are familiar with this thread so Iíll put it here. Taking from my notes it was something like this. ďAs you look at all these sales tools that I use on the screen, the shiny trucks, top notch architects we employ, 6 digits build photos, and everything Iíve talked about donít you DARE put us 10 notches above everyone in this room and think my life is a bowl of cherries. We face the same struggles that all of you do each and every day. Yes they may be on a larger scale, but we still have them. Clients, employees, equipment, and the list goes on and on. I donít come into my office, prop up my feet, watch Fox News, and play Angry Birds all day. I have those Mondayís where by 1 p.m. I feel like backing up and punting and trying it all over again tomorrow, afraid that if I touch the coffee maker the thing will catch fire and burn down the building, Iím there with you. I wake up at 4:30 on days, tossing and turning in bed solving problems in my head and eventually get kicked out by my wife and end up at the office by 6 a.m too. Hereís where Iím going with this; we all have issues and we all learn from our mistakes. Each and every one of them makes our companies better. Conferences like this one, which are amongst the best of the best, will help you suppress those issues and be so much better, but the problem solving will never end, the unexpected problems will always be there, and life will go on. Weíre just like everyone else.Ē

GROW 2013 will be moving to Nashville Tennessee! I would encourage you to all attend. The networking times in the evenings with peers are just as valuable as the day sessions. Joe Calloway will be back and Iím sure Marty will have some other great speakers as well. Make your company the best it can be in 2012 folks. Best of luck.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 02-12-2012, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I am sorry that I missed it. I am also glad that i didnt pay for it either because like i said earlier my wife was pregant and due Feb 6. She delivered feb 10th. Next year I will be there unless I am dead.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:26 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willretire@40 View Post
I am sorry that I missed it. I am also glad that i didnt pay for it either because like i said earlier my wife was pregant and due Feb 6. She delivered feb 10th. Next year I will be there unless I am dead.

Thanks for sharing your experience.
Congratulations man.....
Old 02-12-2012, 12:19 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

As "one of the younger guy in the room", I can say this was the MOST valuable thing I have ever done for my business!! You can be the big fish in your local market, but just because you're swimming a little off the bottom of the barrel - doesn't mean you're really winning. Hearing the experiences of others, people sharing honestly about how they've failed and succeeded is something from which you will gain a wealth of insight.

Find a good consultant EARLY! I wish I had made the effort to head to a Grow event 3 years ago when ETW started talking about them. By the way, Jarod, I hope Marty is comping you big time for all the guys sitting in that room, based on your reviews!
Old 02-12-2012, 12:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

thanks for sharing the pics of the design program.
Old 02-13-2012, 03:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Well said etw