Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 02-13-2012, 08:00 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I WILL be there next year! I look forward to meeting you.
Old 02-13-2012, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

These conferences, are they just for landscaping companies or is the information kind of interchangeable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!
Old 02-15-2012, 09:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

They are focused on the green industry, but I think any business can gather good insight from it.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 02-15-2012, 02:44 PM
LawnSite Member

Wow! What a great source of information, along with a remarkable business.

Subscribed
Old 02-16-2012, 02:27 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

From a good friend of mine: "You spend the first 10 years finding your way in your business and building infrastructure, the next 10 are spent improving processes / efficiencies, and the 10 after that (assuming a 30 year career), are spent reaping the benefits of what you have built."

I believe there is alot of truth to this and if you think for a moment that you are going to start a company and its going to be a well oiled machine I have news for you. Its gonig to take time and patience. If you don't believe the above quote take a look around at companies that are 10, 20, and 30 years old.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 02-16-2012, 02:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwman View Post
From a good friend of mine: "You spend the first 10 years finding your way in your business and building infrastructure, the next 10 are spent improving processes / efficiencies, and the 10 after that (assuming a 30 year career), are spent reaping the benefits of what you have built."

I believe there is alot of truth to this and if you think for a moment that you are going to start a company and its going to be a well oiled machine I have news for you. Its gonig to take time and patience. If you don't believe the above quote take a look around at companies that are 10, 20, and 30 years old.

I agree with you that there is a lot of truth to that. You don't build a successful company overnight.

I may of overlooked it, but what equipment are you running for your maintenance division? Still the old Hustler mowers?

My picture thread:
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=374000
Old 02-16-2012, 03:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:

I completely agree with this. A friend of mine has about 14 years into his business, although part time, and when starting out he just worked his tail off with only me helping and currently he has about 2-3 guys doing the work for him now. I know he's not doing this full time but it's a legit company and he's really reaping the benefits of it.

I've just wasted too many years Hopefully I can get things going better. This thread is always a good motivating tool. Along with Joe Calloway's book.
Old 02-16-2012, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I read that somewhere and for the life me I cant recall when or where but that quote is hanging on the wall in the office. Thing is I have a hard time conviencing the bank once in a while. They think 3,5,7 yr that project, equipment, expansion should be paid. I beleive you need a great banker, lawyer and accountant on speed dial and one that will take time to listen to your idea's, concerns and not just show up with numbers and say oh, maybe i can work with ya type of attitude.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

Awesome. I wish we had a like button on here...
Old 02-16-2012, 11:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
They are focused on the green industry, but I think any business can gather good insight from it.
I cant really get the time to go to one of these conferences, are there any dvd's or books or anything like that I could learn from, at home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobcat_ron View Post

Just run the god damn sh*t out of the machine and the hell with all the other crap, make money instead of worrying about crap that only accountants think about!