Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-18-2012, 01:44 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would go to the grow conference if you can. It's one of the better ones out there.

After three long months our new sites live. A lot of time and money invested in it. One of my big pet peeves is "Harry homeowner" sites. Folks we are in a day and age where people google your site to get a phone number or address. The phone book is dead. You have one shot at a first impression. Don't skimp on this aspect.

Earthturfwood.com.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 12-18-2012, 02:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

You have a very nice site!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-18-2012, 02:38 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwman View Post
I would go to the grow conference if you can. It's one of the better ones out there.

After three long months our new sites live. A lot of time and money invested in it. One of my big pet peeves is "Harry homeowner" sites. Folks we are in a day and age where people google your site to get a phone number or address. The phone book is dead. You have one shot at a first impression. Don't skimp on this aspect.

Earthturfwood.com.
In Louisiana we get taxed for everything! I get taxed on the equipment that I paid taxes on when I made the purchase. I noticed that your company is Inc as apposed to being an LLC. What was your reasoning for going that route?
www.Walkerslawn.com
kerry@walkerslawn.com
Like us on FaceBook @
Walkers Lawn and Landscape
See Our Ads on Craigs List @ Walkerslawn
Old 12-19-2012, 02:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a lot of questions but, on an average week (if there is such a thing), how many hours a week do you spend working, whether it be in the office or handling sales, etc.?
When you were still in the field working, how many total hours did you work and how many years into being in business, did you finally get yourself out of the field day to day?
2014 Diamond Cargo 8.5' x 20' Enclosed Trailer - Fully Loaded Interior
Exmark Lazer Z X-Series 52" w/ Ultravac
Exmark TTHP 36"

Graduate - Anoka Technical College w/ Associate's in Hort/Landscape - May 2013
In business since Feb 2011
23 Years Old

When you have systems, you have control.

If youíre born poor, itís not your mistake. But if you die poor, it is your mistake.
Old 12-20-2012, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Everyone here works between 40-50 hours a week. We don't work weekends. That's pretty consistant on the hours.

I pulled out of the field around year 5 or 6.

If you work 80 hours a week you're working harder, not smarter. If you say I can't get everything done, you don't deligate. If you say you can't afford to hire someone to do your job, you're not charging enough or you're spending too much. It's a balancing act,
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 01-07-2013, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here is something that is in the cab of all our our trucks. Why? Because everyday can be a Monday, no matter how hard you plan.

I cant get the image to attach but it says, "What is your Plan B?"
Old 01-07-2013, 01:07 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Everyone here works between 40-50 hours a week. We don't work weekends. That's pretty consistant on the hours.

If you work 80 hours a week you're working harder, not smarter. If you say I can't get everything done, you don't deligate. If you say you can't afford to hire someone to do your job, you're not charging enough or you're spending too much. It's a balancing act,
I say I can't hire someone to do my job because I don't have my business set up that way because I don't want to hire someone to do my job.

I enjoy being solo and enjoy being in the field. if I were able to hire someone the first person I would hire is someone to sit at a desk, take phone calls, do invoicing and go out and do estimates. allowing me to remain in the field at all times and unbothered.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:52 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
I say I can't hire someone to do my job because I don't have my business set up that way because I don't want to hire someone to do my job.

I enjoy being solo and enjoy being in the field. if I were able to hire someone the first person I would hire is someone to sit at a desk, take phone calls, do invoicing and go out and do estimates. allowing me to remain in the field at all times and unbothered.
I think you're the 1% that will just disagree with what anyone finds successful on here because they're not a solo operator. Numerous threads you've done this and not sure why...... It's almost as if anyone has a positive about not be a solo operator you arrive to just say.....whatever.....something negative about it. Sheesh.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-07-2013, 08:01 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post

Then don't and stay grossing $250k max a year. ETW trying to guide people to gross in the $2mil range. I try to learn as much as I can from him even though my business is just as big. We do 90% commercial maintenance, but I want to balance that out and hire another 10 guys and do 50% Maintenance and 50% Landscape/Hardscape.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:12 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLawn View Post
I think you're the 1% that will just disagree with what anyone finds successful on here because they're not a solo operator. Numerous threads you've done this and not sure why...... It's almost as if anyone has a positive about not be a solo operator you arrive to just say.....whatever.....something negative about it. Sheesh.
Posted via Mobile Device
I highlighted in red what my comments were in regard to.

etws statement is NOT 100% correct for all of us. I have nothing against those that want to have employees. but I do see a lot who have employees who seem to have something against those that are solo.

I feel the need to defend the solo side because of comments like you have a job not own a business if you can't take time off and still make money. solo guys own a business every bit as much as those with crews/employees.

it's almost as if I say anything about anything and someone shows up to say.....whatever.....something negative about it. sheesh.