Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-17-2013, 07:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Here's another one under construction. We're pushing on over the winter. With our spring backlog we have to make every day count in the field we can.

The pavilion with mahogany ceiling, real stone will go on the fireplace, and Techo inca on the flat.
Attached Images

"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 02-17-2013, 07:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Interior shot.
Attached Images

"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 02-17-2013, 09:29 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have to say Jarod, I am still reading through your thread. (I am on page 210) Can only do a few pages a sitting. But have truly developed an phenomenal company. It is truly inspiring to me in my new company. I mowed yards in high school, closed the business while I was in college 4 hours away but just now started back my company after working for 2.5 years (after graduation) for a local healthcare system as their regional grounds supervisor. Best move my wife and I have ever made. Loved by job, but love working for myself even more.

We had a great first year and are already looking like this year will be even better. Love the freightliners! I like that a lot better than 15 different trailers. Excited to read the rest of the thread. The installs you guys do are amazing. I hope to work myself up to jobs that size some day. It was encouraging on one of your pages of your thread, you said our average low voltage system is several 1200 watt transformers as opposed to 1- 300 watt transformers and 6-10 fixtures. We are doing are at the 300 watt systems right now. It was good to know that with experience and dedication the big jobs will come. I just have to be patient and learn a lot along the way. You & your team keep up the great work. Keep us posted!
Old 02-17-2013, 09:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Must say I am a big fan of Dave Ramsey's fpu. Like that advice. Was glad to hear you used a start-up loan. We had to as well, but we are "snowballing" our personal debt and are doing good with it. Next stop is the business loan before the house. Again thanks for sharing.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-17-2013, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

keep in mind some of the information in this 12 year thread has become obsolete. Prime example is the use of these 1200 watt transformers for lighting. That was the old school halogen lighting systems. Now most of the market is turning to LED, which is all that we use now. Halogen will become the CD of the music industry soon.

I use my own personal property as a testing ground for things. I have a 300 watt transformer now that has a 400 foot run on it with probably 30 pathlight fixtures. They have all worked fine for over a year now with no drop in voltage. Each pathlight is 3 watts. Its just technology. Most people that do a fair amount of lighting already know this, but I thought I would point that out.

Have a good spring everyone, there's definitely a different vibe in the air this year with landing projects. Not only am I seeing this, but several of my peers in the northeast are seeing this as well. Now the big question is will hyperinflation hit. Time will tell.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:16 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I hear you on the economic side. Which made me curious as to the demographics of your work zone in central PA. What industry(s) drives the economy where you are that afford people such discretionary income for projects of the scale you install? Looks to be a nice part of the country. Keep up the beautiful work.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:21 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

While it is a valid question, I just don't want to answer it on an online forum. Once I begin to discuss demographics it'll lead to other questions and I just don't want to go there.

I am a firm believer that if you focus really strongly on one or two good things, do them very well, over time it will pay for itself. The book, The Pumpkin Plan, focuses on this indepth.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:44 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

point taken and respected.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:47 AM
LawnSite Member

I'v read through this whole thread and must say you, and your company are truly an inspiration. I am 20, going into my second year and I love reading what you have to say.

Thank you for all of the indirect advice.
Old 02-17-2013, 11:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Good point. I guess the 30 fixtures should of been my focus more so than the transformers. We are using all LED spot lights 1, 3, 5 & 9 watts depending on height of what we are lighting. I am having a hard time selling the led path lights since they are twice the price. I try to sell them on the fact that they won't need new bulbs like halogen or incandescent, and the reduced power consumption, but their response is that they won't ever be able to save that much cost difference on bulbs and power alone. Any sales pointers on that or am I using the wrong brand of light that the cost difference between halogen and led is too much to make that sale
Posted via Mobile Device