Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 02-17-2013, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Several suggestions that may help:

1. With LED tell the client they can easily add on at a later time. Go to the end of the last fixture, add wire and there you go. No more voltage drop criteria to contend with or hubs. I keep adding on mine at home, same transformer, and just add fixtures. Huge beauty of LED.

2. With LED you can use 14-2 or 16-2 wire. With halogen, depending on runs, your stuck with 10-2 or 12-2. The thinner wire is less expensive.

3. Check with your rep on long term savings on LED versus Halogen. Most have documentation that shows the cost difference long term. I know our FX rep did.

4. Warranty is big for our client. 15 years on the LED fixtures versus 2-3 on Halogen. Keep in mind too that with technology changing the way it is, you may not be able to find parts for a fixture that is 3-4 years old and out of warranty, then their replacing it at full cost out of their pocket. But if it has a 15 yr warranty its not your problem, its the manufacturer. I'd buy that 15 year warranty all day long if I were buying it personally. Imagine if you got a 15 year warranty on your computer?

These are a couple selling points on LED versus Halogen, hope this helps some.

I appreciate all the compliments that many post. I'm not ignoring them, but keep in mind too that I didn't learn everything from looking at trees either. I rely alot on friends, forums, books, and experience. Like I said before never stop learning.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 02-17-2013, 01:42 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the pointers. The warranty info will help tremendously.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-17-2013, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We use FX as well. Do y'all not use kichler anymore?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-17-2013, 01:56 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

no we just use FX
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 02-17-2013, 02:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey ETW any chance i could email you a couple question? i lost your email when i got a new one
Old 02-17-2013, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ok moving on.

So Jarod how many employees do you have right now?
Are all your crews still working together on that big project you recently posted pics of?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-17-2013, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

we will have 10-11 guys in the field this year. 4 in the offices. its a slow go now between two big project because the weather has been a menace. 14 tonight is going to halt us again, but this is the winter for you. Take it one week at a time.
Old 02-17-2013, 09:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Over here in Ca we are able to work year round just a couple bad weeks. Our work is mostly maintenance so its a little different. I read in recent post you were starting your GROW division to maintain current and past clients, did that end up working out for you?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-17-2013, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Everything looks great!!! Just finished Category of One its great starting Pumpkin Plan now thanks for the suggestions. Do you every find that you need a bigger truck? Would you containers fit on full size Roll-off rails if you ever upsized?
Old 02-18-2013, 08:07 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

In my honest opinion the best truck for landscape / hardscape construction is that vehicle between 26-33k GVW. with airbrakes. Beyond that you can have stuff trucked in. I've talked in length on this here in this thread. You can barely haul 5 yards of mulch in a 1 ton dump without being overloaded. It's not just unsafe, its illegal and your running the risk of seriously hurting someone on the road because you can't stop quick enough.

I just don't see the need for a bigger roll off truck. Its been interesting to watch those friends that have graduated to this size truck based off what what has been said here. I'd venture to say if you checked with anyone of them they'd never go back to the 350 or 450. My maintenace costs for these larger trucks is half, if not less, than my F-550. They are just built for the workload.