Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-26-2013, 07:20 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The winners in business aren't the ones that do the most things. The winners are the ones that do the most important things." Joe Calloway in his new book, another must read!
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 03-26-2013, 07:51 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Would you say that quote would be geared to what one offers in the landscape industry or rather the standard things are offered?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2013, 07:54 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Spring Tip

Here's a spring tip for everyone for equipment, because right now everyone needs more equipment than they have money for at the seasonal start up.

You have heard me mention that cash is king and that I look very closely at equipment before I purchase. We all now that equipment is expensive, especially in the specialized hardscape arena. It's not out of the question for a well equipment hardscape rig with a mini-ex, track skid loader, etc. to roll down the road at more than $275k worth of stuff. I've witnessed mine rolling out of our parking lot at times at just that.

So here's the tip to beat this sometimes: I will sometimes go into our local very reputable rental company and ask them if they have any _____ for sale. Or do they have any slightly used things they want to sell like tampers, pressure washers, etc. Most rental companies, that are decent will maintain their equipment well and won't run it into the ground. Now I'm not saying buy the worst thing on the floor, but ask for what you need that maybe a year or two old. You can save 20-30-40% over what a new one will cost. Plus, and this is a huge plus, they may even repair it for you when something breaks down because they have parts in stock, etc. and they know that model.

Chew on this for awhile, I've bought handful of things off of a great family owned local rental company over the years and its worked great.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 03-27-2013, 08:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwman View Post
Here's a spring tip for everyone for equipment, because right now everyone needs more equipment than they have money for at the seasonal start up.

You have heard me mention that cash is king and that I look very closely at equipment before I purchase. We all now that equipment is expensive, especially in the specialized hardscape arena. It's not out of the question for a well equipment hardscape rig with a mini-ex, track skid loader, etc. to roll down the road at more than $275k worth of stuff. I've witnessed mine rolling out of our parking lot at times at just that.

So here's the tip to beat this sometimes: I will sometimes go into our local very reputable rental company and ask them if they have any _____ for sale. Or do they have any slightly used things they want to sell like tampers, pressure washers, etc. Most rental companies, that are decent will maintain their equipment well and won't run it into the ground. Now I'm not saying buy the worst thing on the floor, but ask for what you need that maybe a year or two old. You can save 20-30-40% over what a new one will cost. Plus, and this is a huge plus, they may even repair it for you when something breaks down because they have parts in stock, etc. and they know that model.

Chew on this for awhile, I've bought handful of things off of a great family owned local rental company over the years and its worked great.
All very true, I picked up many x rental pieces over the years. Last great find was at of all places home depot. Was their to get some lumber and walked past their rental department, had 2 wacker plate compactors with wheel kits in real nice shape for sale. Both were 2 years old and showed little wear, got em for $500 each. Pays to look around.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Home depot can even tell you how many times the tools have been rented out and for how long.

I worked for a construction company when i was 18, they told me to go rent a compactor for 3 months from home depot. I told the secretary it would be cheaper to buy but they didn't want to understandably take the risk. So i asked if i could take the risk and then the company pays me, if it breaks i will have to replace it. I still have the compactor to this day and made almost 2,000 bucks on the deal.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by P.Services View Post
Home depot can even tell you how many times the tools have been rented out and for how long.

I worked for a construction company when i was 18, they told me to go rent a compactor for 3 months from home depot. I told the secretary it would be cheaper to buy but they didn't want to understandably take the risk. So i asked if i could take the risk and then the company pays me, if it breaks i will have to replace it. I still have the compactor to this day and made almost 2,000 bucks on the deal.
Can even get 0% for 6 or 12 months on their credit card.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Work hard, player harder to be smarter!
Old 03-28-2013, 10:09 AM
LawnSite Member

just wondering, i had read through this thread a while back and had saw some mowers, are you still involved in any lawn/landscape maintenance or you just primarily installation?
-97' F-250HD Ext. Cab Long Bed 5.8L 4x4
-08' Exmark Lazer Z 28HP EFI/60" Triton
-05' Ferris 15HP/48" Ultrabelt GD
-09' Craftsman 7.5HP/22"
-98' MTD 5HP/21"
-00' Shindaiwa T-230 Trimmer
-06'/12' Shindaiwa T-242 Trimmers
-12' Shindaiwa LE-242 Stick edger
-11' Redmax 7150 BP Blower
-00' Redmax 4300 BP Blower
-06' Craftsman 5HP Edger
-05' HaulinUt 6x12
-13' PoulanPro 18" Chainsaw
-02' Craftsman Bushwacker HedgeTrimmers
Old 04-19-2013, 06:47 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

95% installation.

What a crazy spring.
Attached Images

Old 04-19-2013, 06:49 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwman View Post
95% installation.

What a crazy spring.
Amazing work as always!
Posted via Mobile Device