Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 10-04-2013, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is a very interesting topic. I definitely have my opinions on this. I went to college for human resource management.

Here's my two cents on college, and I'm probalby going to pinch some nerves here. If you have the drive and determination to build your company and be successful in life that certificate holds no significance in my opinion. I have friends that run multi-million dollar company's that don't even have a high school diploma and are some of the smartest people I know. I have a great friend that graduated top from and ivy league school that will tell you college degrees are the most over rated thing around. In addition, I have walked the dirt roads of third world countries and seen first hand what small business loans can do for those who are determined to provide for their families. Have I taken anything from college that has helped me build this company to where it is today? Some, but very little. Latin American music and culture for 3 credits did absolutely nothing.

So to answer your question, yes I guess degrees help some. More so if you want to be in corporate america. If you want to build a company bring skilled people to the table. If you are dead set on going for a degree go for business management.

Are my kids going to go to college? When that time comes we are going to have a very strong conversation about it. I see no need to spend $200k on a 4 year college. They can go to a community college for 2 and transfer, etc. I worked for 5 years before going to college, that was a huge benefit in itself.

There's my take.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 10-04-2013, 10:22 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwman View Post
So to answer your question, yes I guess degrees help some. More so if you want to be in corporate america. If you want to build a company bring skilled people to the table. If you are dead set on going for a degree go for business management.

Are my kids going to go to college? When that time comes we are going to have a very strong conversation about it. I see no need to spend $200k on a 4 year college. They can go to a community college for 2 and transfer, etc. I worked for 5 years before going to college, that was a huge benefit in itself.

There's my take.
I'm a fan of education at all levels but I agree with the first statement completely. When you venture into corporate america, or whatever you want to call it, the degrees you earn in college get you into resume pile "A" vs resume pile "B". That's how I see it. Also I want my physicians to be the smartest and most educated people I know. I have a masters and that's as far as I'll take it.

Education is not just about college. Attending seminars, how to workshops, and those types of things are a form of education and probably more important when they are industry specific. My main complaint with college was the first 2 years wasted on unnecessary courses. Once I got in my major it was great because it pertained to what I wanted to go to school for!! I did learn more than school could have ever taught me when I had internships, it's hands on real world stuff. Just like seminars and trade workshops do.

I mean ETWman is always talking about the people he keeps in his back pockets for help, or the Marty Grunder events he has attended, and the books he has read. ALL forms of education to help him in is mission for his business. Heck, his thread is an education in itself!

Regarding the second highlighted point, you'll probably read the same book for whatever course it is whether the community college or the big ivy league school. You're just paying more to fund the schools ivy tastes.
Old 10-16-2013, 02:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwman View Post

There's my take.
I am 18 and currently going to a community college. $900 a semester to get all those stupid courses out of the way. Then I am transferring to a public university for a whopping $3k a semester. Why people spend 50k+ on a year of college is beyond me...
Old 10-16-2013, 07:09 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ormond32176 View Post
I am 18 and currently going to a community college. $900 a semester to get all those stupid courses out of the way. Then I am transferring to a public university for a whopping $3k a semester. Why people spend 50k+ on a year of college is beyond me...
I wouldnt say that....college has its place for people wanting to learn business as well as certain other fields of industry. As little as it actually means, the college degree is important to clients and when being hired for a job at a bigger firm.

I am going for a landscape contracting/landscape architecture degree, as it will be beneficial to my family business. My mother has been hand drawing plans since day one, and not being able to give proper visuals, or share pdf files/autocad files with builders has been a setback. I am going to try and fill that problem, without having to hire someone, which has always been a debate.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ormond32176 View Post
If you go into say, investment banking, or corporate america at all, you simply WONT get it (or it will be incredibly hard, starting from the bottom of bottom), without that piece of paper from an esteemed college. Names and titles are everything to the big guys in suits.

2013 Toyota Highlander

A mower
Another mower
A trimmer
A blower
A trailer

17 years old
Old 10-18-2013, 07:32 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

This is one of those topics you could discuss 30 ways and have 200 opinions on. It comes down to drive and want you want to make of your life.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 10-18-2013, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaysLawnServices View Post
If you go into say, investment banking, or corporate america at all, you simply WONT get it (or it will be incredibly hard, starting from the bottom of bottom), without that piece of paper from an esteemed college. Names and titles are everything to the big guys in suits.
I'm actually going into financial planning and the University of Central Florida is a pretty big name school.
I am working with a good friend who I plan to have manage my lawn business while I pursue a Series 7. Depending on how well that goes, I will either sell the company or give him a lot more control over it and use it as a plan b in case something doesn't work in the realm of finance. Engineering, Architecture, and Medicine could cost more, but transferring, especially with dual enrollment, is the best bang for your buck.

Etw, your work is amazing by the way.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 10-18-2013, 08:03 PM
LawnSite Member

It depends on what you go to college for.
Liberal arts, not so much.
But teaching, medical, Lawyer, pharmacy, doctor, etc. you need to spend the money on a good school and expensive education.

Self employed contractor, the school of hard work and getting to pay for the on the job training (mistakes) works fine.

That's my $.02 worth. I have been self employed for 30 years with a associates degree in wood tech (wood shop at a college level). Never used any of it really. Good mentors, hard work, drive and desire, and a little luck along the way will get were you want to go.

For you guys just starting out, protect your credit, build your FICA score and don't think it all comes quickly, it does not.

Build your reputation, not only in business but personal life also.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Member

Thank you for all the opinions on education. I will take them into consideration. Its nice to get opinions from people in the industry on education not just some random person who's never done any of this type of work.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-02-2013, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Member

Etwman, do you use muratic acid for when you acid wash your pavers?