Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-03-2014, 09:41 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiffyspark View Post
The biggest cause of problems on 6.0 is high idle hours and short trips. They need to be ran hard

What happened to it this time?
Posted via Mobile Device
Most modern diesels need to be run hard every once in a while.

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” – Ronald Reagan

"Treat employees like they make a difference and they will." - Jim Goodnight

Old 05-03-2014, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Head cracked, injectors, trans delays going into 1st. We drove it to the mechanic because we knew the head gasket was going then once it was all torn apart it was a mess. I would've had $12k in it to put Humpty Dumpty back together again and I'm just tired of it at this point.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-03-2014, 09:43 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etwman View Post
Head cracked, injectors, trans delays going into 1st. We drove it to the mechanic because we knew the head gasket was going then once it was all torn apart it was a mess. I would've had $12k in it to put Humpty Dumpty back together again and I'm just tired of it at this point.
Posted via Mobile Device
What will you let it go for?

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” – Ronald Reagan

Old 05-03-2014, 09:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallihergreen View Post
What will you let it go for?
They offered me $2500. The title is sitting on my desk. They've got some time in it that they took out before that offer. I had though about parting it out but I'm not sure I even want to bother with it.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-03-2014, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Freightliners

Quote:
I just don't care anymore. This truck has been a pain since day one, it's gone, and we're done buying fords. Whether or not it could have been repaired, should have been repaired, etc is irrelevant. It's obvious we maintain our fleet diligently but this thing was a train wreck. I know more landscapers that swear they will never touch another one, so I will assure you I'm not the only one.

I've been truck shopping and unless by some miracle I can find a pearl of a gmc 5500 from one of the last years they made them, it'll be a new dodge 5500 crew cab diesel. I drove one yesterday and they've come along way.

The dodges are hard to come by and there's only a $1000 rebate on them right now. This is in large part, like them or hate them, that they got into the mid size truck market at the perfect time. A lot of ford owners have jumped ship and dodge can't keep up with demand. There's talk that GM will get back in the mid size game in 2017 but it's too early to tell.
I know your looking for a crew cab and a newer truck, but for someone looking for a landscape truck to replace the F-450/550 size range, would a lower mileage FL50 or 60 be practical? Something with a cat or cummins with fairly low miles should still have a lot of life. Whats your opinion? Is it to big of a truck for both its gvw and for landscape maintenance?
Old 05-03-2014, 11:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I've been truck shopping and unless by some miracle I can find a pearl of a gmc 5500 from one of the last years they made them, it'll be a new dodge 5500 crew cab diesel. I drove one yesterday and they've come along way.
They've got the air ride suspension available, on the 2500/3500. You may inquire if they're offering it on their heavier chassis.

'13 Hustler X-ONE, 60", Kohler ECV749 EFI
'05 Hustler FasTrak, 42", Honda GXV530
'13 Toro Timemaster 30"
'02 Lawn Boy SilverPro 21"
Stihl BR600 blower
Stihl BG55 blower
Stihl FS55R trimmer
Stihl KM55R Kombi system
Stihl MS180C chain saw
Stihl HS45 hedge trimmer
RedMax Reciprocator
Echo SRM225 trimmer
Echo GT-2000 trimmer
Gravely WB edger
'14 Ariens Compact 24" Sno-Thro
'08 Troy Bilt Squall 2100
'06 Chevrolet Silverado
'13 Bravo Star, 7'X12', V-nose
Old 05-04-2014, 07:18 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I need one truck in the fleet that is four wheel drive. I could go to a terrastar but I've heard mixed bags on their truck. I could convert a lo pro M2 but that would be big bucks and I'd want a shorty. We would use this truck for plowing.

It's hard to fathom that these rams are $60k. I could put a Freightliner on the road for less than that. Our FL-70's are 13,14 and 15 years old and run strong. One of the best investments we've made. In that time frame I've had a 98 Dodge and the 550. Putting less miles on those and they're basically throw away trucks. Bigger is better for sure.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 05-04-2014, 09:08 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
I need one truck in the fleet that is four wheel drive. I could go to a terrastar but I've heard mixed bags on their truck. I could convert a lo pro M2 but that would be big bucks and I'd want a shorty. We would use this truck for plowing.

It's hard to fathom that these rams are $60k. I could put a Freightliner on the road for less than that. Our FL-70's are 13,14 and 15 years old and run strong. One of the best investments we've made. In that time frame I've had a 98 Dodge and the 550. Putting less miles on those and they're basically throw away trucks. Bigger is better for sure.
Why not set it up as a switch and go with a landscape bed. And then a salter

Someone around here has one. He also has a quad axle crew cab dump lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-04-2014, 09:21 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:

Do you really need another dump? Why not another 4x4 Duramax P/U and a dump trailer? I agree the prices on commercial trucks are crazy, but then again the price on just about everything is crazy nowadays.

Old 05-04-2014, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm looking at a SNG on the Dodge. Pulling numbers together now.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."