Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 12-21-2002, 01:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

etwman.
Very nice! I have a similar set up. My trailer is an 8x20. I just sold a 7x14 that I used for residential lawn routes. The 8x20 is just used for a commercial account carting 2 DCs.

??? Do you use that 28 footer to service residential properties? If so, is it a major PITA to get that in and out of neighborhoods?

Again...nice photos....liked the story about how you started out.

Chris
Old 12-21-2002, 02:04 AM
LawnSite Member

I'll think I'll go out in the garage now and throw rocks at my truck and open landscape trailer. I try to keep my equipment looking good, but looks like you've really perfected it. Super Professional looking!!!
Old 12-21-2002, 03:01 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Awesome set up you have there etw, How about dodge? you liked? any major problems with it? I'm in the market for a new truck, because my las two fords have had problems, trainy an rear end, they both are f450 and a friend of mine just blew off his trainy on a 2000 f-350.

Believe I like my ford is just that maybe I'm missing on something better.
Old 12-21-2002, 08:53 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally posted by nlminc
etwman.
Very nice! I have a similar set up. My trailer is an 8x20. I just sold a 7x14 that I used for residential lawn routes. The 8x20 is just used for a commercial account carting 2 DCs.

??? Do you use that 28 footer to service residential properties? If so, is it a major PITA to get that in and out of neighborhoods?

Again...nice photos....liked the story about how you started out.

Chris
Yes it takes a little work moving it around but most of our sites are large scale commercial. This rig w/ our Toro 580-D cuts about 300 acres a week. The worst was getting in and out of gas stations. So we solved that problem with mobile transfer tanks in the bed of the truck. One is gas the other off road diesel. Two 60 gallon tanks with 12v pumps. Now we fill them up every other day and don't deal with the hastle of the gas stations. However, when we build the trailer we had 2 12"x12" fuel doors put on the right side so when you pull up to the gas station you just sneek the hose right inthe side and fill up without unloading. Works well but it takes some work. The fuel tanks were a better solution.

My guys have a little fun with this rig at times. About it being a little like a NASCAR trailer. Out on a site they'll come into the trailer (pits) and yell out, "I need three blades, I'm a little loose on the hills take 1 pound out of my right rear, and a splash and go. GREEN GREEN GREEN! we're here to make time .. not friends"

I told them we are in no way numbering these mowers with 3, 8, or 24 and we are definitely not wearing helmets. Keep the speed down, we are professionals.
Attached Images

Last edited by etwman; 12-21-2002 at 09:21 AM.
Old 12-21-2002, 12:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks etwman!! Awesome pics, how many crews do you run? just the two? one landscape one mow? what else do you have? any other trailers or truck? how about your shop (s) can we see????
Old 12-21-2002, 01:03 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Now that's what we're talkin' bout ... super tight looking ...details .... glad to see a real pro on board

Just don't move down here .... I don't need that kinda competition ;->

Happy Holidays n safe trip

" Think I'll Come Back Here ....... From
Time to Time ...... Every Now n' Then

Fantasy Lawns. Com
Old 12-22-2002, 01:22 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Scottie -

Yes we run just the two crews. On monday we combine the two and I get out of the office.
we have to haul the Toro 580-D up to one of the sites on the flatbed. Four of us knock out 130 acre site on Monday then we split up for the rest of the week. We only mow 3.5 days a week with that rig. I've always said that rig doesn't roll unless it nets 4 digits a day. We send the mowing guys over to landscaping on the 5th day.
the mowing guys pretty much stay with the mowing rig so they know the sites well. Peak season there is 6 of us total.

My shop, right now we are renting a small space but I do have a project underway to build soon. We have some neat plans to pull four rigs in a shop from one end and out the other. We also want a wash bay inside. Our goal is to have this done in the next 1-2 years.

With the enclosed trailer that eliminated alot of uneccessary rent. Really the only thing that goes inside is the tractor/harley rake, and some miscellaneous tools. The trailer gets locked up and sits where it is.

We are finalizing plans for the 03 rig as we speak. It looks to be a 03 GMC topkick durmax/allison with an alluminum body for our hardscape. What's happening with the landscaping aspect is we get into these large build project
(we only do $10,000+)and end up there too long. People with money don't have patience, so we may add another crew there. We'll have the hardscape guys preceed the plant installation crew. We were almost 6 weeks out with design/build last year. Too long!

There is some other equipment but you'll have to wait for the 03 shot. Probably next May.

etwman.
Old 12-22-2002, 09:13 AM
LawnSite Member

AztlanLC
Are you running the V-10 in those trucks or the 7.3 Power Stroke?

I know that I trashed the trans in my 2001 F250.

I am drooling for the 6L and the new trans combo that is now available. The price has only gone up about 500 on the engine and 500 on the trans. But from what I have heard it is the cats A@@.
Old 12-22-2002, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Actually neither engine.

In the Dodge we are running the Cummins with an Allison Automatic. All cummins engines are only 6 Cylinders but they pull great.

The chevy, believe it or not is a 6000 series gas, not even the big block or the diesel. The reasoning for doing this was everything in the trailer is gas and we wanted to keep them identical to avoid searching for two fuel stops. It is a five speed. I always prefer to tow with a five speed to have more control and it does pretty good. The Chevy will pull away from the dodge off the line, but the Dodge will pass it by around 60 on the highway because of the torque. GM has a really good rep with gas engines and it really does okay pulling 10,000 pounds. It does 65-70 down the highway no problem. I wouldn't want to go cross country with it with that much weight but on 20 mile jaunts its fine.

Hope this helps.
etwman.
Old 12-22-2002, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

etwman, nice equip, BAD IDEA!!!

Please email him this for private details....

Last edited by Administrator; 12-22-2002 at 09:14 PM.