Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-13-2007, 08:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

lets see them then
Old 05-13-2007, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Mrusk, then I would advise you to start a new thread entitled "mrusk's project photos" I'm sure quite a few would be interested in seeing your work.

Adam, a college education defintely cannot hurt by any stretch of the means. Is it neccessary? That's a whole other thread there. There were some definite pluses to some of the classes that I took. I can't say Latin American Music and Culture class did much of anything but the business, investments, finances, and management classes did. You won't learn the "field specifics" in a college setting but the basics will definitely help. You have the rest of your life to play in the dirt. You have to learn to walk before you can run.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 05-13-2007, 10:18 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Go to College!
Obviously the education is incredibly important, but there is so much more to it than the degree you will earn. I think that there is so much gained by going to college, the discipline, the friends, the culture, etc.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I would definitely concur with Tony on that.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 05-13-2007, 10:47 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

so while i was driving along i was thinking, much like i usually do. I was wondering if you are going after your first FULL landscape install, how do you insure the client that you know what you're doing since you wouldn't have a portfolio set up?

adam
Old 05-14-2007, 08:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

If you don't have any experience you can rely on good subs who know.....nevermind......

Start with small jobs and take pictures. If you go to college you'll have an educational background that will be worth something.

You should start a separate thread for Adam's Questions.
Old 05-14-2007, 08:21 AM
LawnSite Member

i almost hate ask this question, but if you just bought your first dig. camera, what were you using for your portfolio?

i don't want to hijack thread or down, but i'm just curious.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:16 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Lets see the latest project ETW.
Old 05-14-2007, 10:31 AM
LawnSite Member

I am working on my college education. Landscape Horticulture at Ohio State University. I don't think I have a single customer in either the landscape or maintenance end that has not asked about my graduation date. Everyone pays very close attention to my progess in school and business. My largest job to date ($22,000) was ensured partly due to the fact that I am almost finished with a degree. I made about $14,000 on that job. Therefore, if school costs about $8000 dollars a year then I would have paid for approx 1.5years of my education. Not bad for just over 10 days of hard work.

My education will pay and has paid for itself time and time again. I am a senior with about 8 classes to go and the money / recognition is already starting to multiply.
Old 05-14-2007, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

ETW- I always check out this thread when something else is added and I honestly take your business ideas to heart. Iím not in the landscaping or the hardscaping field. My company is mainly pool service, maintenance, and we do pool replastering, some deck work, tile and coping. We stay very busy with what work we do and I find the pool construction business overly saturated with complete morons. In Texas, pool builders are not licensed , nor regulated. Thatís why you see so many fly-by-night companies that leave shotty workÖ..itís one reason we stay so busy. At the same time, it usually leaves a bad taste with the customer as well and most likely their last pool they buy. However, there are a few companies that use nothing but subcontractors, but their client is buying nothing but the pool name, ie wise pool.com (someone that I used to work for). But I do agree with you in keeping everything in house, sometimes, in my case, it canít always be done.