etw, thank ya! i was just curious

NICE "MO" SHEEN
Old 12-26-2002, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Member

nice rig!!!!
Old 12-26-2002, 11:33 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

thanks Tony -

It takes alot of wax, soap, and rags to keep it like this. And black is no easy chore, but it looks good when its clean. It helps too that the guys do a quick wipe down when they pull on site. When its sitting there along a major roadway it gets alot of attention, and needs to be clean.

etwman.
Old 01-02-2003, 11:41 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey ETW

How was the trip.

Just wanted to say again you have a really nice looking setup.

I could not help but noticing that in one of the pictures. In the background the amount of barns and silos. How close are you to the minites and amish.

Here in KY we are getting alot of minites from the PA area. Urban sprawl is forcing them to move out.

Again really a nice setup...

MARK DOUGLAS
Old 01-02-2003, 12:43 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Greengrow -

Thanks for the compliments again.

We are only about 20 min. from Amish country. We are between them and the mainline into Philadelphia. From what you may know we decided to go with black equipment with no ties to the heritage in this area and it does get some looks, even by them.

etwman.
Old 01-02-2003, 04:44 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thumbs up

ETWMAN nice looking stuff . You said you learned what did not work in this biz was wondering if you could e mail me some of those things ,always interesed in those sort of things . Also was wondering how much your getting for advertising space on your trailer like the Stihl and Hustler spots ?
Old 01-02-2003, 05:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Lawn Tek -

Well, first thing. Stihl and Hustler logos for advertising. That's a touchy one, let's say we are being treated very well. I should probably leave it at that without opening a can of worms on a site like this. Stihl and Hustler are two very good companies to work with and build very good equipment that we run everyday.

What works and doesn't work. Where to start.....here's a couple

What doesn't........

1. More guys than you need on a site. Everytime I pass a company with two mowers on a trailer and four guys in a truck it just means they are losing money.

2. More equipment than needed. Same thing but opposite. One guy... four mowers. Doesn't add up. Too much overhead. Lots of guys entering into this business love equipment. The more equipment we have the bigger we look. Not a good idea.

3. Charging too little to penetrate the market, then trying to raise your rates with your current customers once you realize your not making money. Customer won't understand and you'll be sitting there with a huge dilemna.

Things to try and do:

1. Be honest with your customers. Exceed their expectations. Charge what you need to. Remeber this quote that I have on my desk "The bitterness of poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten"

2. Pay all your bills! We pay everything within 5 days of receiving an invoice. Trust me people will know and respect this. When you need something locally your credit will be gold.

3. Image is alot. In order to be professional you have to look professional. This doesn't necessarily mean spend $100,000 on equipment it could mean a can of wax for the truck and a pair of Dockers at Sears.

Hope some of this helps.

etwman.
Old 01-02-2003, 05:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

etw , well I agree with everthing , I'm doing it right then . I was in another busineess for many years built it up from nothing , sold it for a good payday . Funny we used the same saying at all the time when we were out selling .
other quotes worth noting
" a good man will make you 100 dollars a day "
"a bad man will cost you 1000 dollars a a day "
" if you want preminum oates they cost more "
" oates already passed through the horse are cheap "
" arguing with a good parts man is like a wrestling a pig in the mud " " after a while you'll find out the pig likes it "

and my favorite of all time
" the difference between genius and stupidity is genuis has its
limits ! "
Old 01-03-2003, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Member

etwman, I have to disagree with you on your #1 doesn't. Two mowers and four guys. Example- 15 acre site, Cemetary w/ 3000 stones to weedeat around. Yea the two mowers would be a good number for the job, but then ask them to weedeat around all of those stones after they have took 5 hours of taking there time to mow around all of those stones without hitting any. Then there are areas where you have to cut with a push mower, and after that all of the stones have to be blown down before the job is done. I'm open for new ideas, maybe I'm running my crew wrong on this site? In the hot months I feel like digging my own grave and crawling in it myself LOL. Just kidding but if you are not careful you can easily under estimate a cemetary.
Old 01-03-2003, 05:27 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

MWS Lawn -

True. I honestly didn't consider cemetaries. I commend you on taking on that project and hope your doing okay with it . From day 1 I have always said I will never mow cemetaries. Mainly for two reasons. 1. They have limited budgets. 2. We just are not set up with the equipment to do so.

Best of luck with them, hope you can turn a decent dollar mowing them.

etwman.