Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 08-21-2007, 04:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

The 6.0 is under the hood. I know there have been some issues with that engine but its had all the updates and is still under warranty.

You don't have to tell me its a rare find. Finding any small dump truck in good shape with 50,000 miles is like looking for a needle in a haystack. I've been casually looking for 6 months. Finding a 550, diesel 4WD, in mint shape for less than $30k is like discovering gold. There were 5 buyers lined up behind me on this one.

6 guys in the cab! Stone in the dump. That things not just a house, its a house with a porch.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 08-21-2007, 05:20 PM
LawnSite Member

correct me if i am wrong but deos it also have a reverse camera?
I saw this on ebay and was thinking whoever ended up with this truck is one very lucky man. kinda cool that someone on here ended up with it!

i don't know about everyone else but cant wait to see set up like the rest of your trucks!
Old 08-22-2007, 09:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Truck looks nice Jarod! Can't wait to see it all lettered up. I'll be waiting to see the new M2 as well!!
2011 8x16 Pace Summit trailer
2010 Exmark TTHP 17/48
04 Exmark Viking 32"
96 Exmark Metro 36"
Echo, Redmax, and Shindaiwa handhelds. Husky chain saws.
2010 F-350 4x4 6.4 PSD w/ 8' Western plow.
1997 F-250 4x4 7.3 PSD
2004 Bobcat 61" 25hp ZTR for sale. 1100 hours, Under 10 hours on a TOTAL DECK REBUILD! PM for details
Old 08-22-2007, 05:26 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Paint black wheels over simulators?

Wonder what you could sell that dump body to someone/shop with a cab and chasis and pay to have an aluminum body made to save weight and increase payload? I know a guy that does that sort of work if you're interested
Old 08-22-2007, 07:57 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Now Todd, c'mon you know me better than that. The truck arrived back here today at 3 p.m., got plates, registration, simulators are on, and it'll be off to the paint shop sometime here in the next day or so.

I've been back and forth on that alluminum body. The kicker is I really don't want to dump alot into this truck because its not our primary. It's got fold down sides and a roll tarp so that's worth something there. I'm not sure the cost justifies the means in this situation. This truck will get used once or twice a week. I'm going to scale it tomorrow and see where it comes in at and go from there. Paint job and lettering was about all I was thinking of putting into it....and of course some tools.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 08-22-2007, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am bored...nothing to do so thought I would post a pic or two....etwman, you are my idiol.....as I am sure many others consider you their idiol as well. Maybe in 4 years or so I will be where you are.....

this is my lead set up....Everything to get the job done....adding new toys weekly now that all my nuts are stashed....my new HL100 is on the second tier of the rack....about the only thing getting use this week with this drought and record breaking temps daily.....But on this trailer is the 61in TT, 36 WB, FS110, Edger, HL100 HT, BR 6, and a BR 340 and a spare FS 80 in the truck bed, and misc tools....Spreader, 21in, and sand for the pipe from the AC units running now I am sure 60 days straight and making the pass way to the back lawn all mushy....the sand really helps....I will be adding more as the season finish up, can start to spend money now that I have my winter and being of the season payroll covered....Going to get a box and side gate to this trailer. Add another Push blower and I think I will be completely set up for next years crew. Just have to add another truck.....
Attached Images

Old 08-22-2007, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know but I would guess $3k being the value of that dump body. A new aluminum dump body coming in around $6k?

What does aluminum cut to? 1/2 the weight on this kind of application? Not sure.

btw....Do you have issue with people space with the FL70's? I'm thinking of going ext cab.

Glad all is well, have a good one!
Old 08-22-2007, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks Todd for the alluminum input, open up another can of worms, great. Yeah, I'd lose 1/2 the weight. Rule of thumb is double the cost, 1/2 the weight. I'll scale it first and see how bad it is, then contimplate. Then of course it would be do we use regular alluminum or the "bling bling" alluminum that you used. See now you've just complicated everything.

Room wise. We're doing a project right now about 45 minutes away. All the supplies are up there. I have a four man crew on it, so instead of running both FL-70's up there for a day a small crew cab dump would be nice on occassion (thus the 550). Not sure I would want a longer truck than the FL-70's that I have now, you would probably agree with that. You could sacrifice the box for an extended cab, but I'm not sure that is the right answer. Like I said it's not our primary, but it'll be there when we need it. We'll see how this 550 fits.

Last edited by etwman; 08-22-2007 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-22-2007, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Go with an composite. half the weight and not double the price.
Old 08-22-2007, 10:05 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Good call McKee........particular make?

The aluminum is nice. My doors he put polished stainless 'skins' held on with rivets.

Yeah I have driven longer and its not fun. I already do 2 point turns in a cul-de-sac now. I was thinking if I go ext cab I would put larger underbody boxes.....say 8' or even 10' long.

While we're talk'n about fabricating stuff, I've got another idea for our present trucks. Know the space forward of the underbody boxes but behind the big box? I've been wanting to have a fuel tank built there w/ pump for off road diesel. If you had a 20 gal capacity it would be perfect for filling/topping off equip. No need in the (4) 5 gal cans I carry around now or the need for putting a tank in the back of my Chevy. Chevy won't be on site 90% of the time and if its got the tank and I need fuel.....well that doesn't do me much good.

Second thought is to redo the tanks on the truck for the engine. Get a large aluminum for one side full of fuel for the truck. On the other side, fill it with off road diesel and put a pump on it. Hmmmmmm.........enjoy thinking Jarod! haha