Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 03-31-2008, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundScapesIncorporated View Post
In December of 2002 you mentioned having 6 employees, Its seems incredible to me that you have grown the way you have and not added additional employees in three to four years.

Also in December of 02 you mentioned that 6 weeks out was "too long" I assume you feel different know?

I understand that you have a niche and specialize in high end installs. But why not add another crew or two and double your sales? I certainly believe that you could be successful with it, you are obviously a very intelligent businessman, Im just curious as to what your reasons are for not getting larger. I understand that you dont have to be a large company to do 7 digits in sales, but whats up beyond that? Please share.
PS,
Thanks for sharing everything you have shared over the years.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:22 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Clifton View Post
Hard A, that is quite the equipment list you have there. One question though; where are the steel toes. Safety first! Right?
"Steel toes" is typically not necessary for driving around all day long running errands, and meeting with ever so lovely prospective clients

But I guess one can never be too safe!

"People Throw Rocks At Things That Shine"

My Equipment Brag List:

-1 CAT hat
-16 pairs of Hanes socks (the Heavy Duty model), many with holes.
-12 pairs of underwear, ranging from Joe Boxers to Jockey, many are in need of replacement. (no more photo requests please)
-hundreds of t-shirts. Some w/ grease stains, some torn & tattered.
-7 pairs of jeans, ranging from Levis to Polo to GAP. 1/2 of them have holes in 'em.
-1 belt
-1 pair of old worn out Nike shoes.
Old 03-31-2008, 10:41 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
"Steel toes" is typically not necessary for driving around all day long running errands, and meeting with ever so lovely prospective clients

But I guess one can never be too safe!
yes i think you need to add steel toe boots to your equipment list joke.
2-TORO Z MASTER'S 25/62 JOHN DEERE 757 -25/60
LESCO Z2 25/60 TORO Z MASTER 19/52 SCAG WB/48
82 CHEVY 4X4 - MEYER'S PLOW- BILLYGOAT LOADER
83 F600- 9INCH DIESEL BRUSH BANDIT CHIPPER
8X24 SHADO MASTER V NOSE ENCLOSED
trailers -6.5X14 - 6.5X16 - 18 FT EQUIPEMET
Old 04-01-2008, 07:54 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Groundscapes -

In '02 we probably had 6 on payroll, some of which were part time I'm sure. Back then we had one crew dedicated to mowing but it was that year in which we began to pull away from that aspect. Plus neither crew was anywhere near its full potential. From there on out we hired guys that are much more specialized in what they do and what they can bring to the table. The most recent foreman hire has a four year college degree and good field experience.

12-16 weeks would be considered too long at this point, yes that has changed.

Your last statement I will try and elaborate on without divulging some things that I do not wish to go public with. When you re-evaulate your business plan, which we did in '02, the key is to grow the company at a steady growth rate. Keep in mind we do no advertising, but we've grown at a very healthy, steady rate. I've run numerous projections, with the type of work we specialize in now, too show how much we should be able to do off of each crew. I know where I want to be with the second crew before we go to three and won't pull that trigger until we are there. The key is to be in demand among clients, lead the industry, not be top heavy with employees, and turn a decent profit. Running out and adding crews just to add crews, then take on smaller stuff to keep that crew busy isn't the route I want to go, and doing 100 different things ....forget it! I think at three crews full time with our niche, and that may take a little to get there, is all the more I wish to be. I can be plenty profitable with that and run a stress free healthy company. Sure I could run out and plaster adds all over creation, shoot based on industry averages we should be spending 5-7% of our sales on adverstising, last year we did .03% and that most fell under gift certificates. However, I don't want 40 appointments a week of tire kickers. If I have 3-4 appointments a week that's alot, but they are serious. I'm comfortable growing at this rate, our charts on net income, gross, and net are at the growth rate I'm comfortable with.
"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."

Last edited by etwman; 04-01-2008 at 08:02 AM.
Old 04-06-2008, 09:04 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

ETWman-

Do you think with todays economy the residential work will slow down, commercial work will proboly still be there, and people that want to try to sell there house in this market, will want a new patio, etc. but what do you think the economy do to your bisness?
Old 04-13-2008, 09:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Etwman....just wondering if you could give us all a update on your business and some current pictures. Thanks Jarod.
2008 Chevy Express 3500 Van
2000 Dodge Ram 2500 Reg. Cab
07 Deere 737 (60" 7 IRON)
07 Deere 757 (60" 7 IRON)
07 Deere 757 (60" 7 IRON)
06 Deere 757 (60" 7 IRON)
06 Deere 757 (60" 7 IRON)
14 Deere Z950R (72" 7 IRON)
14 Deere 1025R (60" Autoconnect)
11 Deere 326D Skid Loader
07 Deere G15 (Commercial 36")
01 Deere 455 (60")
11 Haulmark 8.5x22 Enclosed
11 PJ 20' Equipment Trailer
Old 04-14-2008, 07:34 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

We've been pretty busy tied up in two complex builds so I haven't had time to respond to much. Regarding Krefts comment I'd rather opt to not go down that road. The majority of the reason this economy is so volitale is because the press just blows it out of proportion. Sometimes the less is mentioned about it the better. I'll leave it at this, yes I think it will effect everyone in some way or another. We have positioned our selves differently with our clientele and probably aren't feeling the impact like other contractors that we know.

I attached a couple pics from the project we started last fall and completed this spring. It was pictured earlier in this thread. It is flooded with perennials that have yet to emerge. When the grass has come in and the plantings are all up I'll return for a completed shot. All in all, though small, it turned out pretty neat for a little back yard.

Once things level out a little I'll post a little more.
Attached Images

"Earth, Turf, & Wood, Inc. is a high-end residential landscape & hardscape company that offers superior employment experiences for employees, exceptional opportunities for our architects, a premium service to our customers and value to the community through service and stewardship. We attempt to honor God in all we do by encouraging teamwork, pursuing excellence passionately, serving those who lead, and demonstrating stewardship of resources."
Old 04-14-2008, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

That backyard turned out real nice
2008 Chevy Duramax
2007 Chevy 3500HD Dump
2003 Chevy 2500HD

6x16 Tandem Trailer
5x10 SS Trailer
5x8 Dump Trailer
Bobcat CT225 tractor-loader
Wright Stander 48" RH & 48" X
Quick 36”