Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-05-2012, 04:46 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Encore Walk Behind Throttle Binding

I have a Encore 36" hydro pro walk behind with a Kawasaki motor and wondered if anyone has run into the problem where the throttle system becomes hard to operate? I started noticing last fall that it was having trouble pushing the throttle down far enough that it would contact the electrical kill switch and it was not due to cable adjustment. It got a little worse this spring to the point when I was forcing the handle it bent the cable where it enters the cable housing up toward the console. I straightened it and pulled things apart, including the throttle/choke linkage plate on the engine, and lube all the moving parts. Everything moves freely when dissembled. I also tried adjusting the cable and the plate position on the engine that has the throttle linkage and choke linkage. No luck. Stopped at a local repair shop to see if they had a new cable assembly as a shot in the dark but all he had was the core in bulk. So I had them quick make a new one. The cable makes some bends and turns in it's routing which I tried to change but am not finding any better route than the original. I'm sure there is some minor resistance in the cable assembly but it seems that the problem is due to binding in the throttle/choke lever linkage plate on the engine. Another thing that is not helping matters is that when they made the new core they put the "z" in the end about 180 off from how it hooks to the linkage which is probably adding to the binding.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmower View Post
I have a Encore 36" hydro pro walk behind with a Kawasaki motor and wondered if anyone has run into the problem where the throttle system becomes hard to operate? I started noticing last fall that it was having trouble pushing the throttle down far enough that it would contact the electrical kill switch and it was not due to cable adjustment. It got a little worse this spring to the point when I was forcing the handle it bent the cable where it enters the cable housing up toward the console. I straightened it and pulled things apart, including the throttle/choke linkage plate on the engine, and lube all the moving parts. Everything moves freely when dissembled. I also tried adjusting the cable and the plate position on the engine that has the throttle linkage and choke linkage. No luck. Stopped at a local repair shop to see if they had a new cable assembly as a shot in the dark but all he had was the core in bulk. So I had them quick make a new one. The cable makes some bends and turns in it's routing which I tried to change but am not finding any better route than the original. I'm sure there is some minor resistance in the cable assembly but it seems that the problem is due to binding in the throttle/choke lever linkage plate on the engine. Another thing that is not helping matters is that when they made the new core they put the "z" in the end about 180 off from how it hooks to the linkage which is probably adding to the binding.

I just picked up two 48" Encore Hydros yesterday, and the first thing I noticed is that it is very hard to adjust engine speed at the linkage. I lubed everything up but it still has the problem. I'm going to look further into it tommorow and maybe I can find the problem. If I have to I will just order an assembly off of another brand of walk behind. I don't care for how the linkage is set, and I think part of the problem is just the small lever that is on them. Most of them I've seen are longer and a bit heavier built. I like the mowers alot other than the throttle lever actually. I don't think the lever is long enough to provide proper leverage, and it is very hard to fine tune it. I did the same thing and adjusted and lubricated the throttle plate on the engine as well but didn't help.
Old 05-24-2012, 12:25 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Funny you posted. Just today I went to a Kawasaki dealer and ordered the $25 throttle/choke control linkage bracket for on the engine. I'm also on the hunt for a new throttle cable assembly. Mine was bending finally at the point where the cable housing attaches to the bracket of the throttle handle. Let me know what you find.
Old 06-05-2012, 10:10 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Found out they no longer have the correct linkage plate available according to my Kawasaki dealer. So started playing more with the throttle cable. Found out it is all due to the cable. I changed the routing and straightened up what I could of the damaged handle assembly and it works perfect. I have a new cable on order. My walk behind is a hydro. I ran the cable forward of the throttle handle, under the gas tank platform, then went left up over the engine with a gradual bend to it's connection. I saw a rub mark on my upper engine cover that led me to believe it was originally plumbed like this before the PO changed it.

When I got it, it when down from the handle and was clamped to the right handle bar post, then they took it to the left, and then turned forward under the left of the gas tank platform, then had a sharper bend up and back down in front of the fuel tank to the engine.

Hope this helps.