Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 06-20-2012, 01:15 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Today it is still hot, about 94 expected. However...a cold front and short rain are expected tonight. Actually the new grass is mostly brown, but the crabgrass and weeds are looking fairly green. Ragweed is along sidewalk. If it were my lawn I would want to add a good shot of fertilizer--with plenty of slow release nitrogen to take advantage of rain.
Old 06-20-2012, 03:50 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

It certainly wouldn't hurt, as long as it doesn't burn up during the summer... it appears that it may be too late for this lawn to do anything... come Fall the decision needs to be made whether a simple over seeding will be adequate with the mess this is expected to be... thanks for keeping us updated...
Old 06-24-2012, 02:07 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Still hot and dry. The three new trees (red maple I suspect) look wilted. It would not take much to kill these trees completely. Most of new grass is brown. Sad. Five dollars worth of water could fix most of this. Potential light rain today. Perhaps the customer or person in charge of the adult foster care unit is too busy to water this week. It has been mowed, as the weeds are now short. Weeds and crabgrass look fairly green. It is possible the customer thinks the green crabgrass is his lawn and does not understand that the real planted grass is under heavy stress. Their excuse would probably be--its all weeds anyhow--why should I water? Rainfall total at the nearest automated weather station is about 1.14 " in last 30 days.
http://www.agweather.geo.msu.edu/mawn/dod.asp
Old 06-26-2012, 03:19 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

New grass at 62 days

Here is the new lawn. Hydraulic seeded April 26. Seldom irrigated with hose. However weather has been hot and dry. Most of new grass is either wilted or brown. Seldom waters this grass. Perhaps the customer thinks that the crabgrass is green so it must be his new grass. Weeds are short--so it must have been mowed. Notice the brown grass across the street on the upper left. It is clear the four newly planted trees are also in danger of dying--rather wilted--if you look close. I think they are red maples. Sad because more hot dry weather is predicted. Why plant trees or grass if you don't plan at least a small bit of after care?
Attached Images

Old 06-26-2012, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

New grass at 62 days

Here is the new lawn. Hydraulic seeded April 26. Seldom irrigated with hose. However weather has been hot and dry. Most of new grass is either wilted or brown. Seldom waters this grass. Perhaps the customer thinks that the crabgrass is green so it must be his new grass. Notice the brown grass across the street on the upper left. It is clear the four newly planted trees are also in danger of dying--rather wilted--if you look close. I think they are red maples. Sad because more hot dry weather is predicted. Why plant trees or grass if you don't plan at least a small bit of after care.
Old 07-04-2012, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

New seed at day 70

So sad. Hot dry conditions continue in Grand Rapids. New home, not owner occupied. Seldom watered, since it was hydraulic seeded April 26. Newly seeded grass is very brown. Even the crabgrass looks sick. Four 10 foot maple trees planted at the same time--look like they are toast. 96 degrees here and its only 1 pm.

A family around the corner dug up and planted a new lawn by hand. It was for their new construction house on new soil (very sandy). They have been fairly good about watering it. Fair results. Green and growing, but still thin. Seed sown about mid-May.
Attached Images

Old 07-04-2012, 05:44 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
So sad. Hot dry conditions continue in Grand Rapids. New home, not owner occupied. Seldom watered, since it was hydraulic seeded April 26. Newly seeded grass is very brown. Even the crabgrass looks sick. Four 10 foot maple trees planted at the same time--look like they are toast. 96 degrees here and its only 1 pm.

A family around the corner dug up and planted a new lawn by hand. It was for their new construction house on new soil (very sandy). They have been fairly good about watering it. Fair results. Green and growing, but still thin. Seed sown about mid-May.
I saw the second pic and though much better, then I read the narrative and saw the house was different
Old 07-04-2012, 06:09 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
Here is the new lawn. Hydraulic seeded
I have to ask whats Hydraulic seeded ??

You sure it isnt called Hydro Seeded Thats what mine is called a FINN hydro seeder
Old 07-10-2012, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Seeded April 26

Here is the new lawn now at about 9 weeks. I called in hydraulic seeded because I thought "Hydroseed" was a trademarked name. See first week's post for a pic of the equipment used. Not owner occupied. Unfortunately, it was seldom watered. Rain was lucky at first, but now it has been hot and dry for at least 3 weeks. Hose box is visible on the right. The ring of green crabgrass around the four young red maple trees(3 visible) indicates they were watered at some point, but only a tiny fraction of the water needed. I think the trees are toast.

A simliar new house owned by the same company 2 blocks away is slightly better. Partly because I suggested to someone there, that they should water it.

A third new house a couple blocks away on a corner was hand seeded by a family. Some speak no English. Very sandy soil. 12,000 sqft. They have been watering like crazy. Thin, weedy, but fairly good results.
Old 07-10-2012, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

new seed

forgot the photos.First one has seldom been watered.

The second pic shot into the early moring sun, has been watered but irregularly. A rotary sprinkler and hose is visible near the house.

The third one, with the sawhorse blocking the sidewalk is the owner occupied home where they are watering fairly regularly.
Attached Images