Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 10-16-2012, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

24 weeks after seed

Seeded April 26, 2012. New grass nearly non-existent. Heavy crab, mostly brown due to light frost, but we had 2 inches of rain, last week.

Second lawn example, bad lawn redo. With green pickup and VW in drive. Tilled and reseed. I talked to homeowner. Started in late August, "Earthway push spreader seeded". Results fair. Sandy soil. Rain 2 inches, last week.

Retired--I do no seeding.
Attached Images

Old 10-17-2012, 02:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

The biggest problem I see is it looks like the soil is dry as a bone. We all know seed needs moisture for it to germinate. We tell our customers if they don't water they will likely see poor results. We tell them they don't have to drench the lawn. Just keep the surface moist.

And what the heck are you doing with sandy soil in michigan? I would have never dreamed the soil would be sandy up there?

At this point in time we are done our seeding jobs for the fall. Temps are falling regularly in to the 30's at night and upper 60's during the day. Even had a heavy freeze the other night. But guys are still doing a ton of aeration and seeding right now. I seen at least 8 trucks today with aerators and bags of seed on them. Just blows my mind these guys do it so late in the season. They have to know from here on out the lawns they do will likely see little to no germination.
2004 Gravely 34Z
1998 Lazer Z HP 48 (old faithful)
Old 10-17-2012, 07:55 PM
LawnSite Member

Lot of construction projects getting wrapped up around me in central Iowa and I am seeing quite a few new patches of straw and hydro on medians, yards, etc. A fescue blend seeded now might be alright with a little indian summer into November. But I imagine a lot of these jobs won't see decent grass until next spring. I repaired a bare patch in my yard yesterday and we are getting some moisture now....10 day temps and moisture look ok.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Soil and grass on the lower picture with the green pickup and green VW, is not really dry. We have had a few rains in the last three weeks.

Yes, we have sand here. My neighborhood is almost flat and very sandy. I am not a geology major, but I suspect my area was under Lake Michigan waters thousands of years ago. Now 30 miles from the lake. Glaciers covered the whole state 10,000 years ago.

Top photograph is the lawn seeded April 26--filled in with crabgrass during the hot spell. Somehow some company sprayed weed control this week--about October 18th. I suspect it has a professional lawn maintenance company, that mows trims, applies fert--and now herbicide--wonder if they are licensed? Wonder why they didn't just start over in the fall.

Last edited by RigglePLC; 10-19-2012 at 09:54 PM. Reason: ps
Old 10-24-2012, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Seed April 26, week 25

Crabgrass is fading fast--we have had a couple light frosts. In the second photo, I think I counted 11 clumps of new grass. No irrigation and hot spell. Sad. Sigh.

Third photo with the green pickup, is a bad yard a couple blocks away. Killed, worked up and reseeded starting in late August. Rain and a bit of irrigation. Result thin, but OK.
Attached Images

Old 11-14-2012, 08:30 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I stopped by the crabgrass infested new seeding this week. I met one of the employees at the adult foster care home, who was out for a smoke. Her name was Crystal. She thought the four shade trees looked poor. She asked if the good grass would come back. "No."
She thought it should be tilled up again and reseeded, in spring. She is probably a certified nurses aide. Someone else would probably decide what to do.

What would you do?
Old 11-15-2012, 08:16 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by RigglePLC View Post
I stopped by the crabgrass infested new seeding this week. I met one of the employees at the adult foster care home, who was out for a smoke. Her name was Crystal. She thought the four shade trees looked poor. She asked if the good grass would come back. "No."
She thought it should be tilled up again and reseeded, in spring. She is probably a certified nurses aide. Someone else would probably decide what to do.

What would you do?
I would do there, what I'm doing everywhere that isn't quite right this time of year... dormant seeding... Unless it had settled unevenly and needed to be releveled I don't see any reason to work up the soil...

The thing about having seed lying on the surface of the soil during the freeze/thaw cycles is that the seed plants itself, so as long as you get the seed lying on the dirt and under those weeds, it should take off just fine...

What do we have there??? 5# bag of seed and 15 minutes of time to broadcast it???
Old 05-03-2013, 10:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

One year after seed on April 26.

Hydro seeded April 26 2012. Warm dry year. Seldom watered. Filled in with crabgrass.
And now one year later.
I am wondering what they will do. Did anybody guarantee this?

Also, it is very early for crabgrass. I checked near the yellow fireplug in the background. I can see some crabgrass seedlings on the south side near the sidewalk in an area heavily infested with crabgrass last year; almost zero good grass. Tiny crab sprouts are visible.
There was a sudden warm spell--temp hit 87 on May 1, 2013.
Attached Images