Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-06-2012, 05:57 PM
LawnSite Member

zama rebuild issues

hello, i'm brian.

i'm working on a homelite trimmer for the 83 y.o. guy next door . he wanted it fixed ( i have worked lawn and garden stuff in the past) the trimmer was leaking oil.

what i found: the fuel filter came off the fuel line, and saw a ton of dirt in the tank. trimmer runs crappy. has oil dripping off the muffler. found dirt in carb, and no screen above the needle. oil mixure was to rich for the machine. found the carb numbers, it's a zama h60b 39a .

what i did: i was able to get a rebuild kit put together at local place in town, i replaced the gaskets, and diaphragms as well. a new needle didn't come with the kit.

were i'm at now :i have cleaned it out 3-4 times. every time bt the last time i have gotten out dirt. it will run pretty good on half choke, but it won't idle. stalls out on full choke due to bogging out. it does start pretty easy. the tank was building pressure, but i have that fixed.. any thoughts ? time for new carb ? or did i miss something ????

thanks brian
Old 05-06-2012, 06:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

try playing around with the high and low screws on the carb. adjust the low screw to get your idle set right, then hold the throttle wide open and adjust the high setting screw. I know you said you cleaned the carb 3-4 times....did you use compressed air.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:13 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by THIESSENS TLC View Post
try playing around with the high and low screws on the carb. adjust the low screw to get your idle set right, then hold the throttle wide open and adjust the high setting screw. I know you said you cleaned the carb 3-4 times....did you use compressed air.
the low idle screw, adjust the throttle linkage/ pivit. as you screw it in or out the piviot drops in or out, it's a trianage type design. it sits out side the carb. as for the high idle screwi have a white cap, that goes about a 1/3 turn. it is next to a red cap that doesn't turn. use i did use some air about 10 psi. i told the old guy to buy a echo or a stihl. i have worked on those.. lol

thanks brian
Old 05-07-2012, 12:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Try to check to see if this carb has a welsh plug......if so, you need to pry off the cap and clean out this small inlet. If no welsh plug, then this is the reason that my suppliers have crates of these types of trimmers sitting to go to the scrap yards. You either buy a new carb and replace it. If one isn't available, then the customer needs to purchase a new trimmer. Sometimes, the more you clean, the more crud comes out of the unit.
These types of units........realistically are considered the purchase and throw away equipment.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
i found a pic of the carb on line this may help http://www.buffalosmallengine.com/in...oduct_id=33668
Old 05-07-2012, 09:58 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think Green View Post
Try to check to see if this carb has a welsh plug......if so, you need to pry off the cap and clean out this small inlet. If no welsh plug, then this is the reason that my suppliers have crates of these types of trimmers sitting to go to the scrap yards. You either buy a new carb and replace it. If one isn't available, then the customer needs to purchase a new trimmer. Sometimes, the more you clean, the more crud comes out of the unit.
These types of units........realistically are considered the purchase and throw away equipment.

yes it does have a welch plug. i could get the old one out. the kit does come with a new one, just not sure how i would get the new one back in???

thanks
Old 05-07-2012, 10:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Don't take the welch plug out, because that's the problem....how do you get the new one back in? The carbs on my blower and trimmer both have the plugs and I've never touched them. I've just replaced everything else and they work fine with a lil tuning. It is a homelite after all!! Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-07-2012, 12:23 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Don't take the welch plug out, because that's the problem....how do you get the new one back in? The carbs on my blower and trimmer both have the plugs and I've never touched them. I've just replaced everything else and they work fine with a lil tuning. It is a homelite after all!! Lol
Posted via Mobile Device
that's the bind i'm in now. the rebuild kit was 19$, fuel line 3$ a plug was 5$ a new carb would be 30-40$ plus my time. now i see why we never worked on them at the sthil dealer... any tips to get the welch plug back in ?

thanks every one
Old 05-07-2012, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

That im sorry i cant help you with. i was told not to touch them because they are a pita to get back in, so i never have. And ive never had a problem with just replacing needles, gaskets, diaphragms, etc.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:22 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
That im sorry i cant help you with. i was told not to touch them because they are a pita to get back in, so i never have. And ive never had a problem with just replacing needles, gaskets, diaphragms, etc.
i agree, doing a rebuild i've never had a problem in the past.. but this one has the most trash in it i've seen yet.