Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-06-2012, 06:32 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You guys will get it when you're covered in Melanomas.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-06-2012, 06:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I wear pants for as long as I can stand it. Usually around 74 degrees - haha!

Early spring means more trimming and "first cuts, so I wear pants. After things are under control, I switch to lightweight, cargo shorts. Grass on the legs is minimal if you watch how you trim. The only drawback is flinging poison ivy on your legs if you aren't careful.

I do keep a pair of "athletic pants" in the truck in case I need to do some nasty trimming. I can just pull them on over my shorts for the duration of the job and take them off when I'm finished.

Long sleeve shirts? No, I don't think so.

Hat? Always.
I'm follicularly challenged, so going without a hat isn't even an option. When it's very sunny, or raining, I'll wear a boonie style hat for the extra protection.
Old 05-06-2012, 08:07 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I used to use shorts but when trimming I can't take getting hit in the legs all day. I wear a T shirt and no hat otherwise.

Honda HRC216HXA Commercial 21" Mower
Stihl FS90r
Stihl KM110 with String Trimmer, Articulating Hedge Trimmer, and Pick Tine Cultivator
Stihl BR600 Backpack Blower
Stihl SH56 Shredder Vac
Stihl MS250 Chain Saw
Old 05-06-2012, 08:25 PM
LawnSite Member

Long pants for me,when the yellow jackets hit ya you"ll appreciate the protection. Big straw hat for me , the surgeon has already cut two melanomas out of my back, he took me out of work for three weeks. When you get one cut out of your head they go deep. Sun screen every day.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:42 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

i wear pants even when it's 100 degrees plus outside. it doesn't make you any hotter. just wear thin khaki pants. if i wear shorts my shins will be dirty as everything by the end of the day. you sweat no matter what. dirt/dust sticks to sweat. i wear short sleeves but a long sleeve T would work just fine. just make sure it's thin and not really thick. i wear a big rim hat with a flap on the back that covers my neck and ears. keeps me from getting sunburn. i only wear sunscreen on my forearms/hands. dirt/dust also sticks to sunscreen. it's easy to wash your arms/hands off at lunch time or whatever.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Our uniform consists of our brown screen printed short sleeve tees and khaki BDUs. BDUs do not get as hot as jeans and do not chafe your legs. Plus they only run 20.00 a pair from LA police gear. I will not wear shorts because between kneeling down, trimming, and rocks its no fun. I wear steel toe work boots (I wish I had opted for some type of shoes withe laces because I am always tripping over my boots when edging backwards) and my guys usually wear some type of lace up military or hiking boots. We have found this to work best in our 100+ degree summers working 10+ hr days.
I am going to start wearing a Shemagh when it gets really dusty. If it works in Afghanistan it will work in a mower sand storm!!!
Mike
People pay you to hold their hand. If you don't like doing it, then you are in the wrong business.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I will always be in shorts and short sleeves, that being said if you protect your eyes and ears like you should, pu should also be protecting your skin
Old 05-06-2012, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I wear a synthetic fabric polo, and shorts if the daytime high is 80 degrees or above. I also carry several towels with me to periodically wipe off the sweat and grime.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:21 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wear long pants always.I also wear a t shirt and a sweatshirt over top of that in hot weather.I know it sounds crazy and it is hot when you first start working but as the t shirt gets soaking wet under the sweatshirt it actually starts to cool you off and regulate your temp.I also start heat training before it gets real hot out by running the heat on high with the windows up and getting the truck super hot inside while driving around.When you get out of the truck to work it's usually cooler outside and actually feels good compared to the truck.This get's me acclimated quickly to heat just make sure you stay hydrated.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:23 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

i had to start this thread, i wear a long sleeve shirt, a thin t shirt underneath to catch the sweat, i big straw hat, has people laughing sometimes, loose and thin pair of khakies, was mostly boots but the heat had my feet hot as a wolf P&^%y so back to tennis shoes. i would love to wear shorts but because of all of the above comments i will stick to what i been doing.
echo srm 266 trimmer
echo srm 2400 trimmer
redmax ebz 6500 blower
echo bp 250 blower
john deere stick edger
2 crapsman push mowers
20 inch key start lawnboy self propelled
weedeater gas hedgetrimmer

5 years in business