Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-06-2012, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatboynormmie View Post
I wear long pants always.I also wear a t shirt and a sweatshirt over top of that in hot weather.I know it sounds crazy and it is hot when you first start working but as the t shirt gets soaking wet under the sweatshirt it actually starts to cool you off and regulate your temp.I also start heat training before it gets real hot out by running the heat on high with the windows up and getting the truck super hot inside while driving around.When you get out of the truck to work it's usually cooler outside and actually feels good compared to the truck.This get's me acclimated quickly to heat just make sure you stay hydrated.
that's a little extreme. i have a/c full blast in the truck at all times during the summer here. it cools you off between jobs.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonsLawnCare1 View Post
that's a little extreme. i have a/c full blast in the truck at all times during the summer here. it cools you off between jobs.
yeah i agree.
echo srm 266 trimmer
echo srm 2400 trimmer
redmax ebz 6500 blower
echo bp 250 blower
john deere stick edger
2 crapsman push mowers
20 inch key start lawnboy self propelled
weedeater gas hedgetrimmer

5 years in business
Old 05-06-2012, 10:37 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Dang. I have to go turn up the AC after just reading that crazy sweatshirt stuff!

Old 05-06-2012, 10:50 PM
LawnSite Member

anyone hear of those t-shirts you can get a tan through? i was thinking about when i noticed my farmers tan coming back.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
Dang. I have to go turn up the AC after just reading that crazy sweatshirt stuff!

Yeah growing up my grandfather always wore a white thermal shirt under a sweatshirt during the summer while working and I always thought he was nuts.He always swore by it and it took me till my thirty's to give it a try and it really works.It's hot at first till that shirt is soaked then it's actually cool no joke.

I start the heat training while it's still mild out once it's in the 90-100's I will actually run the A/C between jobs.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:58 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm not really concerned with what's better for everyone or even myself.

I wear what I do because I like to. it has nothing to do with what's safe or better for my health.

long pants 365 days a year. no matter how hot. short sleeve t's. work boots. thats it. no hats, ever, I don't even own one. no sun screen.

the humidity in my neck of the woods is high so if it's 95 degrees out I'm most likely done for the day and inside soaking up the a/c. on those days I start as early as I can and get done what I can before 1pm and call it a day. sometimes I don't even bother starting the day.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:14 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I wear shorts and a sleeve-less T or tanktop in the summer. I hate the trimming debris getting all over my legs and down my shoes (not to mention the sting from flying debris), so I had my wife turn an old pair of blue jean legs into gators like they use for cross country skiing. She sewed a piece of elastic into the top of each legging so that they stay up (they fit just over the kneecap). They go down to my shoes just like they were the pant legs on a normal pair of jeans. They go on and off fairly quickly, though I have to kick off the shoes to put them on. They make staying clean and comfortable while trimming a cinch, yet still allow air to get in and around my legs between the top of them and the bottom of my shorts. When wearing my regular jean shorts, the pant legs go down to my knee, so the gators look like they are actually the pantlegs on a regular pair of jeans from any distance at all.

I am having here make a new set that will still have elastic at the top, but they will be split from one end to the other, and be held on by pieces of velcro sewn on in several places to keep them closed in back, and one right at the elastic to allow me to pull it snug around the top of my knee. It'll take me all of about 5 seconds to put them on now, and less to take them back off so I can be cooler while mowing.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Have worn loose fitting pants for the last 3 years. Started wear cargo shorts, and when trimming, put my sons old leftover baseball catcher shin-guards on. Wear Under Armor loose fitting short sleeve shirts, with a wide brimmed hat made by Tilly. Awesome hat!
Old 05-07-2012, 01:46 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel29m View Post
? what are you talking about? im just curious on whats better for everyone. and seen plenty cutting with pants.
In many hot, dry & arid countries, they wear clothing that fully covers the body. It is loose and usually tan or greyish in color which helps to promote micro air movement. Also it keeps exposure to the Sun and wind to a minimum and slows down dehydration. (doesn't stop it, of course)

Now in more humid climates, like jungles, that isn't always the case. Keep in mind, there is much greater abundance of vegetation and during daytime they tend to stay under shelter more often.

On a less extreme experience... when I was in NC I would burn in Spring and Fall, summers never bothered since it was so hazy. In NY, true it's cloudy a lot more, when it's clear it is very clear and I will burn no matter how tanned I might be.
Old 05-07-2012, 02:02 AM
LawnSite Member

When it's hot I wear shorts. Back when I was on a farm, I wore shorts. In a gravel quarry, short. Heavy construction equipment, still in shorts. Landscaping - hardscapes, softscapes - yep, still in shorts.

I don't wear a hat. I do wear sunscreen. Pretty consistent about it since my late-20's after I had cancer surgery.

Now if I had to trim in rough conditions, like briars, brush, tall grass, etc... either pants or sometimes rain gear (pants or overall type). It's hot so I just drink more, but it does take the 'sting' out and keeps clothes clean - because as we all know that is the most important matter.