Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-07-2012, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Member

For me it's always shorts and a t shirt. I can handle the debris hitting my legs while trimming but its embarrassing to wear shorts out with all the small marks it leaves on my shins, so I slip on a pair of bib overalls before I trim. They slide right over my shoes and are on and off in seconds.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-07-2012, 10:55 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Location: Down the road from where they used to make Saturn cars.
Dayglo yellow pocket t-shirt, shorts, and Croc thong sandals and a wide brimmed Tilley hat with dark safety sunglasses. I do hire out my trimming and my trimming guy wears shorts, t-shirt and tennis shoes and I can't get the goofball to wear a freaking hat but, I do provide safety sunglasses.
2 Echo SRM-210
1 Echo SRM-225
Tanaka TCG22EASSLP
Husqvarna 125 & 150 BT
6.5' x 12 ' Trailer
Stihl 025 18"
Husqvarna 460 24"
Old 05-07-2012, 11:53 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Summer gear:

Shorts - I trim smart & with low revs, so less painful flying debris. Although, the idea of some removable chaps (W E Chapps) certainly sounds intriguing.

Performance T-shirt under a cotton short sleeve button-up work shirt -> keeps me cool...but I LIVE for Summer's heat & humidity.

Vasque Breeze mid-top (with Goretex XCR) hiking boots. No pain in my feet at the end of the day OR the next morning = PRICELESS.

Full sun protection hat that covers my ears and neck...absorbs the sweat well.

Sun/safety glasses w/o a hat makes for a lot of glare & reflections...not to mention streams of sweat to blur your vision. But, to each their own.
Some folks are so contrary that if they fell into a river,
they'd insist on floating upstream.
~ Josh Billings
Old 05-08-2012, 12:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

When I started out I wore t-shirts and shorts. I sweated alot and had to hose myself down before I took a shower. I now wear a long sleave shirt and long pants with insulated underware. I come home and brush off my pants and then change clothes. I feel more comfortable in this setup.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:34 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Yea once it hits 70 degrees out come the shorts. Wear them from April till the beginning of Oct normally. I like tea shirts and the color doesn't matter if its chilly ill have a hooded sweat shirt that I can take on and off as needed. And I hate hats no thank you on that, just oakley's and headphones. And a new pair of work boots every year anything lower then 8 inch sides and I seem to twist my ankles all the time. As far as weed wacking goes I might have 190 plus lawns with 80 on my personal list but I trim fewer then 4 a week. That's what employees are for and the bigger mowers should do the bulk of the mowing since its more efficient and since that one is mine I spend most of my lawn days either mowing or blowing off.
Old 05-08-2012, 05:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuacro View Post
When I started out I wore t-shirts and shorts. I sweated alot and had to hose myself down before I took a shower. I now wear a long sleave shirt and long pants with insulated underware. I come home and brush off my pants and then change clothes. I feel more comfortable in this setup.
There's an old expression from the old timers here "Swamp A$$" must be difficult for you while wearing IU all day
Old 05-08-2012, 06:07 AM
Banned

The guy doesn't even shower? Just brushes off the grass and goes about his biz? That's disgusting.

Here in Cincy yesterday it was 85 with 100% humidity. By 10:30 I was drenched in sweat. Try wearing long underwear in that weather...see how that goes. Now try doing that in July and August. Um, no.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:08 AM
LawnSite Member

Shorts and T shirts all day long. It is fairly easy to run a trimmer without spraying stuff all over you. While there will always be a rock or two hitting you, be a man and take it, Lol.

I don't get poison oak/ivy, so whenever we run into that, my guys just point at it and laugh. They are amazed when I go over and tear it away with my hands. Once I get adjusted to the heat, the A/C stays off! That just kills me when you get out of a cold truck into 95 degree heat. It's like getting hit with a bat!
Old 05-08-2012, 08:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by superdog1 View Post
Shorts and T shirts all day long. It is fairly easy to run a trimmer without spraying stuff all over you. While there will always be a rock or two hitting you, be a man and take it, Lol.

I don't get poison oak/ivy, so whenever we run into that, my guys just point at it and laugh. They are amazed when I go over and tear it away with my hands. Once I get adjusted to the heat, the A/C stays off! That just kills me when you get out of a cold truck into 95 degree heat. It's like getting hit with a bat!
Im about to post my thoughts and I see this guys post and Im not gonna bother! I agree completely haha I dont get poison and I know how to weedwack that I hardly get any grass on my at all everything shoots away.
I wear shorts and a tshirt/tank top 9 -10 months a year including msotly when I do firewood in the winter as I rarely get sick. I bring a hooded sweathshirt sometimes for when Its freezing. I do wear a hat as I dont want skin cancer but besides that I stay as least clothed as doesnt scare customers away
Old 05-08-2012, 04:16 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennington Lawncare View Post
Dayglo yellow pocket t-shirt, shorts, and Croc thong sandals and a wide brimmed Tilley hat with dark safety sunglasses. I do hire out my trimming and my trimming guy wears shorts, t-shirt and tennis shoes and I can't get the goofball to wear a freaking hat but, I do provide safety sunglasses.
Croc sandals and a wide brimmed hat? Thats the offical attire of northern tourists at Disney.