Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-04-2012, 06:50 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

just IRON for one treatment

Does anyone just use plain iron for one of there treatments? I know it gives no extra growth but im just wondering. april or may when the grass is first greening up. would it be a good idea to just use iron and nothing else for i app.?
Old 05-04-2012, 09:15 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Some lawns will respond well with it. I suggest using chelated iron that has a little N in it like Lescos product. The iron green up only lasts a week or so and you have to apply it at a higher gallon per thousand than you do say weed control or standard fert or at least you should.

Its good stuff for the right applications.
Old 05-05-2012, 09:20 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I put down some Milorganite, which actually has cheaper source of iron along with the benefits of Slow release N and P... but to charge for an app of Iron is kind of shady business ethics...
Old 05-05-2012, 09:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
I put down some Milorganite, which actually has cheaper source of iron along with the benefits of Slow release N and P... but to charge for an app of Iron is kind of shady business ethics...
Just add a 1/4 lb of 21-0-0 with the Iron and the green up will jump. I wouldn't expect it to last but it would or should Jump start the lawn. I can't agree with with a stright Iron application and I am a strong believer in minor elements.

"TG doesn't give a rats ass about being "Responsible" as long as sales/production quotas are met. That's it in a nutshell. A recipe for disaster IMO." Ted Putnam 2/28/14

You can lead a Donkey to water but you can't make the Jackass Drink

"As Americans you have the right to be stupid." John Kerry

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid.” John Wayne.
Old 05-06-2012, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

georgialawn,
Agreed with Ric.............but in my case, to jump start my lawns I apply 27/0/0 and iron.
The problem with my lawns right now is.........winter damage, warm temps early, cool temps followed, and not no rain. The bermuda's and zoysia's look faded and semi dormant with color trying to poke through. Once the irrigation starts, I hit the ground running with the fertilizer above with ironite. Be sure to blow off the prills from the concreted areas.
If there is no foliage for the one time iron application to show a difference it is money not well spent. But in your case if the lawn has excellent top growth, then the iron will show color boosts. The effects are short lived as well.
Old 05-06-2012, 02:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallaxe View Post
Why is that? Iron albeit a micro nutrient is still necessary and if the client is aware of whats being applied and why then I don't see what the problem is.

Chelated iron and ferrous sulfate have been used for decades to improve color on turf and obviously correct any chlorosis.

Nothing shady about that.
Old 05-08-2012, 07:41 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

For cool season grasses early apps w Fe won't work until ground temps come up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-08-2012, 09:54 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadzilla View Post
Why is that? Iron albeit a micro nutrient is still necessary and if the client is aware of whats being applied and why then I don't see what the problem is.

Chelated iron and ferrous sulfate have been used for decades to improve color on turf and obviously correct any chlorosis.

Nothing shady about that.
Charging for the app of fe ONLY... the key word is ONLY...