Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-09-2012, 07:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Yea pierce points..... homeowner peice of junk. I sell boxes of 100 for 1 dollar if ur interested
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-10-2012, 01:16 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

while I appreciate the thoughts on stranded verses solid, I have no corrosion on any grease wire nuts on landscape lighting installed in the field over the last 20 plus years. no melted ones either. sorry to say, it works. not sure what the amp rating of the ones I use from king, but given they can do several 12's and 10's up to 400v, my gut tells me they can handle a bit of heat and amps. a poorly made connection, however, can arc, and that is a different type of heat altogether.
Old 05-15-2012, 12:54 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

This is just something that I was taught and well respected as an electrician:

When connecting two solid copper wires together (such as 14/2 or 12/2 etc.) you always twist the two wires together with linesman pliers as the little spring inside the wire nut is not strong enough to provide this wire type a safe connection. Arcing will occur when a large load is on.

When twisting two stranded copper wires together you should always use the wire nut to twist them together. The little spring binds around all the little strands and holds them in place, thus making a tight connection. If you use the linesman pliers on this type of wire, you risk breaking some strands off and reducing the ampacity of the guage of wire.

Also, we all know that copper and aluminum are two apposing metals and will eventually corrode one another right? Have you ever looked at the material that little spring is made of inside those grease filled wire nuts? Mostly and if not all of them are aluminum. Eventually they will corrode...but thats why we perform maintenance !!

Just my opinion of course and sorry to keep this off topic thread going
Member of ILLI, , LO

Last edited by emby; 05-15-2012 at 12:59 AM.
Old 05-15-2012, 01:13 AM
LawnSite Member

Back to the original question... I'm not entirely sure a fault on the secondary side of your transformer would cause your gfci outlet to trip... I could be wrong though....
Old 05-15-2012, 08:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Oh ya the original question (haha),
A (GFCI) ground fault circuit interrupter monitors the ampacity between your 120v line (black) wire and your neutral (white) wire. Any leakage of ampacity will cause the GFCI to trip.
So, no a leak or a short on the secondary of your transformer will not cause it to trip. In my experiences what causes nuisance trips on a GFCI is moisture related issues such as not using a bubble cover (in use rated cover) or a faulty GFCI, or two GFCI's on the same circuit!
The transformer secondary 25 amp breakers are the protection for your landscape wires.
I would suggest you have a qualified electrician investigate as to why that GFCI keeps tripping.

Hope this helps.
Member of ILLI, , LO
Old 05-15-2012, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by emby View Post
Oh ya the original question (haha),
A (GFCI) ground fault circuit interrupter monitors the ampacity between your 120v line (black) wire and your neutral (white) wire. Any leakage of ampacity will cause the GFCI to trip.
So, no a leak or a short on the secondary of your transformer will not cause it to trip. In my experiences what causes nuisance trips on a GFCI is moisture related issues such as not using a bubble cover (in use rated cover) or a faulty GFCI, or two GFCI's on the same circuit!
The transformer secondary 25 amp breakers are the protection for your landscape wires.
I would suggest you have a qualified electrician investigate as to why that GFCI keeps tripping.

Hope this helps.
Also remember the 2011 NEC code requires outdoor GFCI receptacles to be WR Weather Resistant & TP Tamper Proof and Bubble cover for In use applications.
Old 05-15-2012, 08:40 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

I finally found some time to do some investigating. I went to the one light that had been out and looked their first. Apparently one of my guys had cut the wires to one light and every time it rained or the irrigation ran it was grounding and damaging the outlet.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/