Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-08-2012, 09:39 AM
LawnSite Member

Exmark Lazer Z with sensitive steering

I have a 2004 Exmark Lazer Z with 52" deck, 23 HP Kohler, and the steering is super sensitive and jerking. Backing up is almost impossible. The steering dampers don't appear to be shot...no fluid leaking from them. I have noticed that when I fold my joysticks out to get off it, the right side will still want to creep forward a touch until I bump the lever back.

This mower does have 1650 hrs on it and was used commercial it's entire life I do believe (I just bought it last fall). I was told that one of the wheel motors had been replaced, but the guy couldn't remember which one. I think it was kind of used hard in its time. I do very light commercial with it, at most, 4-5 hours per week and when that time come my own personal lawn.

I'm open to suggestions because at this point, I won't be keeping it any longer than necessary if that's what I have to deal with...I've had my eye on some midmount Grasshoppers instead, or even a JD 757 Ztrak.

Thanks
Old 05-08-2012, 10:23 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Relplace the dampers, mine werent leaking either but it fixed the same problem as you are having
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-08-2012, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by famouslee View Post
I have a 2004 Exmark Lazer Z with 52" deck, 23 HP Kohler, and the steering is super sensitive and jerking. Backing up is almost impossible. The steering dampers don't appear to be shot...no fluid leaking from them. I have noticed that when I fold my joysticks out to get off it, the right side will still want to creep forward a touch until I bump the lever back.

This mower does have 1650 hrs on it and was used commercial it's entire life I do believe (I just bought it last fall). I was told that one of the wheel motors had been replaced, but the guy couldn't remember which one. I think it was kind of used hard in its time. I do very light commercial with it, at most, 4-5 hours per week and when that time come my own personal lawn.

I'm open to suggestions because at this point, I won't be keeping it any longer than necessary if that's what I have to deal with...I've had my eye on some midmount Grasshoppers instead, or even a JD 757 Ztrak.

Thanks
They don't appear to be working either ! Replace em.

......AMF!
Old 05-08-2012, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

FamousLee....go ahead and replace the dampners....and get on with thanking all the folks for giving you this advice.......
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-07-2012, 12:46 PM
LawnSite Member

I never gave an update on this...the dampers might have helped a slight bit, but it is still awful. I kinda wonder if a wheel motor isn't going bad. It seems like my left side is more dominant.

I've noticed that the right side seems to struggle some times. I'll try to back up and the right tire will just spin. Both tires have the same tread depth. There are times I go to turn right and that inside tire will drag, it won't hold the mower. Only does these things on the right side.
Old 06-07-2012, 12:55 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffemt1271 View Post
Relplace the dampers, mine werent leaking either but it fixed the same problem as you are having
Posted via Mobile Device
Dampers is the problem.
Old 06-07-2012, 01:01 PM
LawnSite Member

I did replace them and they didn't change anything
Old 07-03-2012, 10:29 AM
LawnSite Member

I can vouch on this it's not a dampener problem though they probably were worn. I have/had this problem with a toro right now. adjusting the pump and arm neutrals would only cause extremes to occur forward or reverse on mine.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Could be a wheelmotot failing...they can jerk when worn internally...
Make sure the front forks are moving freely...if they are locking up they can stall the mower when turning...and cause the rear tire to spin and tear up the grass...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-03-2012, 12:56 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by piston slapper View Post
Could be a wheelmotot failing...they can jerk when worn internally...
Make sure the front forks are moving freely...if they are locking up they can stall the mower when turning...and cause the rear tire to spin and tear up the grass...
Posted via Mobile Device
I know with mines that's the only thing left to work on, i'm hoping it's just a internal port not sealing correctly and no physical damage to it