Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-21-2012, 01:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The new blower is awesome, when I got to a job it fits perfectly in the front frame of my new mower, so no more carrying on m back

Today I had to mow 8 lawns to get everyone up to speed while I go to maryland for the next week, and then Ill be home for a week, mow everyone again then go to NC for a week.

I took some pics of cuts today, I never take pictures of the ones that anyone else wouldnt go near, but I take them because thats all I got haha. That why I usually just show 5 or so lawns every time

Ill upload some pics in a bit of the cuts today, I have to say the new mower leaves a KILLER stripe, the stripes look to be raked in the lawn, I got a lot of compliments today from people. Having a commercial mower leaf blower and weedwhacker really impresses people now instead of seeing me as that kid who mows, the see me as a more professional person. I know that I am not legit, but in 2 years when I am 18 and I am still mowing, I will definitely get licensed with the county state ect and maybe just a dba for then to see how running a real business is instead of my "business"

Sorry for the long reply I have updated my thread in a month tomorrow!

John Deere
Troybilt
Husqvarna
Echo
Old 07-22-2012, 11:35 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkane97 View Post
The new blower is awesome, when I got to a job it fits perfectly in the front frame of my new mower, so no more carrying on m back

Today I had to mow 8 lawns to get everyone up to speed while I go to maryland for the next week, and then Ill be home for a week, mow everyone again then go to NC for a week.

I took some pics of cuts today, I never take pictures of the ones that anyone else wouldnt go near, but I take them because thats all I got haha. That why I usually just show 5 or so lawns every time

Ill upload some pics in a bit of the cuts today, I have to say the new mower leaves a KILLER stripe, the stripes look to be raked in the lawn, I got a lot of compliments today from people. Having a commercial mower leaf blower and weedwhacker really impresses people now instead of seeing me as that kid who mows, the see me as a more professional person. I know that I am not legit, but in 2 years when I am 18 and I am still mowing, I will definitely get licensed with the county state ect and maybe just a dba for then to see how running a real business is instead of my "business"

Sorry for the long reply I have updated my thread in a month tomorrow!
Hey Man you gotta start somewhere. I try to get them all. Raggedy yards pay too. And $40 - $50 of a raggedy yard beats $0 anyday. And I started with pushmowers hustling and I made some decent money. I guess the people felt sorry for me. #lol. And when I got the big dawg stuff I had a few clients tell me that I make too much money. But all in all they stuck with me and referred me to others. And the good stuff makes lawn mowing a lot easier and makes you look like you know what you are doing. People like that.
www.Walkerslawn.com
kerry@walkerslawn.com
Like us on FaceBook @
Walkers Lawn and Landscape
See Our Ads on Craigs List @ Walkerslawn
Old 07-23-2012, 12:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

hey man im 14! im glad to see theirs others like me out their! ive only got 7 accounts, most of them are pretty big, but i take care of getting to them myself. i got a 4x8 trailer that i pull behind my tractor and it works great. i have all comercial equipment too. wud u be alright if i put a pick of my stuff on ur thread?
Old 07-24-2012, 09:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerryWalker View Post
Hey Man you gotta start somewhere. I try to get them all. Raggedy yards pay too. And $40 - $50 of a raggedy yard beats $0 anyday. And I started with pushmowers hustling and I made some decent money. I guess the people felt sorry for me. #lol. And when I got the big dawg stuff I had a few clients tell me that I make too much money. But all in all they stuck with me and referred me to others. And the good stuff makes lawn mowing a lot easier and makes you look like you know what you are doing. People like that.

I feel much better pulling up to a property and not having to "push" my mower all over the place instead I can leave perfect stripes and not have to work my butt off doing it

John Deere
Troybilt
Husqvarna
Echo
Old 07-26-2012, 11:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Down in Maryland at my uncles I got to finish mow his property. Mowing with air conditioning radio and comfy seat makes the job a whole lot mor enjoyable. Cutting 84" at a time helps too

Coming back to NY on saturday just enjoying my vacation

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-01-2012, 06:57 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I dropped my first account today. I got a call from the customer on sunday to cut it today so I said sure and she always asks about what time ill be there so I said from 1030 to 11:00 that was fine by her so we need our call leaving it set for wednesday at 10:30

Well today I walked over there 1/2 mile away from my house and find the lawn mowed. So I knocked on the door and said that I wasnt there earlier enough (10:45 is when I got there) so she had her neighbor mow it. I was pissed off she didnt tell me that after I walked all the way over there and then on top of that, she says and I quote " you didnt do a good job anyways last time there was still clover all over the place.

She wants me to take my trimmer and take off the flower from every peice of clover because she doesnt like it, I explained to her before that that would cost her to much and have a risk of scalps throughout her yard.

Anyways I dropped her she took it good I felt bad because its the middle of the season but I couldnt keep doing it.

I didnt like the job anyways always dodging tree stumps and rocks

Here is how her lawn looks when I got there, but I DO A BAD JOB what ever lol the back was even worse

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-02-2012, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Nothing like showing up and its already mowed or plowed.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah...I get p'd off when customers don't have the courtesy to call me and/or are unreasonable. I've seen enough of your work to know that you would never leave a lawn looking like that...should have told her that for twice your normal price you'd clean up the mess for her, lmao.

P.S. - Situations like this are why I don't do the "I'll call you when it needs it" mowing jobs. They always wait until it's well past due and then expect you to show up immediately. The best thing you can do is weed out customers like this.
Old 08-02-2012, 08:56 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darryl gesner View Post
Yeah...I get p'd off when customers don't have the courtesy to call me and/or are unreasonable. I've seen enough of your work to know that you would never leave a lawn looking like that...should have told her that for twice your normal price you'd clean up the mess for her, lmao.

P.S. - Situations like this are why I don't do the "I'll call you when it needs it" mowing jobs. They always wait until it's well past due and then expect you to show up immediately. The best thing you can do is weed out customers like this.
Thanks for the compliment

Just because she had someone else do it wasnt the only reason for my dropping her, I am selling the troy bilt, I cant justify having a $500 backup mower when I could sell it, take the 500 and put that money back to my business. (Or take the girlfriend out for dinner )

I realize the when ya need it business plan isnt optimal, but I do that for 3 accounts 2 now lol but I am pondering about moving my accounts to contracts. I am not sure of everything yet, im worried people may laugh you know contracts with a 15 year old lmao

I am hoping to get a better client base and weedout the bad ones and bad quoted ones in the future.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-02-2012, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

You don't necessarily need to have a written contract...just policies that you communicate to your customers somehow. You need to take control and run your business rather than letting your customers run it for you. If you tell them that you need to mow their lawn on Wednesday because that's when you're in their area, they'll usually accept that. I tell my customers it's either every week or every other week and during dry periods at MY discretion. You can't really have a lump-sum price for mowing when they're dictating the schedule because they usually wait too long....lawn maintenace is different than lawn reclamation!

I have in the past mowed back lawn, semi rough-cut areas on an on-call basis, but that's always done at an hourly rate...always, and they aren't given priority service...I get to it when I get to it. I have one like that now but it's done every 4 weeks when I'm in the area.

Last edited by Darryl G; 08-02-2012 at 09:27 PM. Reason: screwed up grammar, lol