Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-09-2012, 10:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wanted to go with black steel edging, but for economical reasons the customer insisted upon junky plasticy edging, and I do mow that yard. Im hoping everything wont turn out too bad! The rain has been really messing with my work and I hurt my back the other day picking up some lumber so for the pit job I had to hire a friend for $15 an hour with me as "foreman"

John Deere
Troybilt
Husqvarna
Echo
Old 05-10-2012, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I got to mow my neighbors lawn today, double cutting makes such a difference!

I forgot to upload the finished pics of that crazy "patio/fireplace" install so there are some pics down there of that aswell

So I was mowing the yard where I did that job with the gravel recently and I had an older man, very odd looking tattered pants ripped shirt, he came over to me while I was mowing and literally tapped me on the shoulder. Somehow I did see him coming and couldnt hear him with earmuffs and the mower running. He said that he was not happy with the fence. When I excavated the dirt and sand from the pit to customer told me that she owned 10' from the side of the fence and she always dumps sticks and leaves there. Well he said that the dirt next to the fence wasnt acceptable and on his property, I kindly and as professional as possible told him that I was doing what I was told to do and that his best bet would be to talk to the homeowner. Well that didnt satisfy him, he kept on ranting and ranting about how todays kids dont give a $#!@ about doing a good job and all, which hurt a bit lol. Eventually he said that he would talk to the buildings department and file a claim. So I knocked on the door and talked to the customer and told her what happened apparently he does this all the time. I asked if she had her surveys of the property when she bought it and we went outside and determined that the point where the debris was closest to his yard was still 7 feet away from the property line. I forgot to mention this mans "yard" is an acre of overgrown sumac trees. The customer told me not to worry and its not my fault because she told me to dump there. I dont have any other means of removing debris and if I wasnt able to dump on site I wouldnt have excavated the area.

What would you do in this type of situation? Did I handle it correctly, this is the first time I have ever dealt with this type of thing

PS: Pics of the pit were before leveling just after everything was raked out
Attached Images

John Deere
Troybilt
Husqvarna
Echo
Old 05-10-2012, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Nice work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kkane97 View Post
I got to mow my neighbors lawn today, double cutting makes such a difference!

I forgot to upload the finished pics of that crazy "patio/fireplace" install so there are some pics down there of that aswell

So I was mowing the yard where I did that job with the gravel recently and I had an older man, very odd looking tattered pants ripped shirt, he came over to me while I was mowing and literally tapped me on the shoulder. Somehow I did see him coming and couldnt hear him with earmuffs and the mower running. He said that he was not happy with the fence. When I excavated the dirt and sand from the pit to customer told me that she owned 10' from the side of the fence and she always dumps sticks and leaves there. Well he said that the dirt next to the fence wasnt acceptable and on his property, I kindly and as professional as possible told him that I was doing what I was told to do and that his best bet would be to talk to the homeowner. Well that didnt satisfy him, he kept on ranting and ranting about how todays kids dont give a $#!@ about doing a good job and all, which hurt a bit lol. Eventually he said that he would talk to the buildings department and file a claim. So I knocked on the door and talked to the customer and told her what happened apparently he does this all the time. I asked if she had her surveys of the property when she bought it and we went outside and determined that the point where the debris was closest to his yard was still 7 feet away from the property line. I forgot to mention this mans "yard" is an acre of overgrown sumac trees. The customer told me not to worry and its not my fault because she told me to dump there. I dont have any other means of removing debris and if I wasnt able to dump on site I wouldnt have excavated the area.

What would you do in this type of situation? Did I handle it correctly, this is the first time I have ever dealt with this type of thing

PS: Pics of the pit were before leveling just after everything was raked out
Old 05-11-2012, 08:24 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CntrlSealing&PropertyCare View Post
Nice work.
Thanks for the input!

John Deere
Troybilt
Husqvarna
Echo
Old 05-11-2012, 08:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Nothing special today both lawns with crappy grass like everyone near me haha, I mowed a regular weekly account and a new one I picked up at school one day lol, before i broke a part on my mower, I got to show my dad up a bit too haha. The blades wouldnt dis-engage so I was like "dad give me a hand out here?" and he had no idea, he was set on bringing it to the local mower shop. Well I didnt want to spend the money on that so I figured out that one of the cams that lock the blade engage linkage in place broke and locked the blades. So I felt pretty good haha. The second pic was a first cut of a couple that just moved in and dont own a mower (dont you just love people like that!) But on my other lawns I am on my 5 cuts already so this one was long I double cut first at 4 to shorten it up and then at regular 2.5 to mulch everything up, so there we quite a few clippings left.
Attached Images

John Deere
Troybilt
Husqvarna
Echo
Old 05-13-2012, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I got one cut done today before I head up to my moms house for some BBQ This lawn has soooooooo much thatch the back yard (second pic) is very very thin. Double cuts like I have started doing
Attached Images

John Deere
Troybilt
Husqvarna
Echo
Old 05-14-2012, 07:02 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have wanted to get a few little lawns in my town for a while now, we have a main street with old houses used as store fronts, each store has a small lawn. I want to pitch the owners a quote to maintain the properties weekly, but I'm worried about them not wanting my services because I am not insured or licensed. Does anyone have any advice?

John Deere
Troybilt
Husqvarna
Echo
Old 05-15-2012, 07:02 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The "Redneck Patio" didn't turn out bad at all, lol. I think you handled the neighbor fine...sounds like a bit of an uncomfortable situation. You didn't do anything wrong, you just got stuck in the middle. Do you mind sharing how much the fire pit area came to at your rates? How much stone did it take? How many hours?
Old 05-15-2012, 10:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My quote was $20/ hour (I raised it ) and 35 flat per yard. It took my 10 hours with excavating prepping and hauling in the gravel. so all together 3 yards @ 35 yard = 105

105+(20*10)= 305 + materials so all in all it came out for the customer close to 400 with gravel edging and landscaping fabrics, my profit was 305 for the job.

Thanks, I was satisfied with the outcome the fireplace will be installed in the upcoming weeks aswell

John Deere
Troybilt
Husqvarna
Echo
Old 05-15-2012, 10:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like a good deal for both of you. I don't suppose stone benches are in the budget, but they'd look good in there, lol.