Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-21-2012, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Not familiar with the TroyBilt but any commercial 36 would most likely be a huge upgrade. I bought a used JD 36 for $500!! Deals are out there and it fires up first pull anytime I need. Just remeber to buy a mower for your current lawns, not what you plan to get. That can be a big ol waste of money. You do some really nice work at only 15, you got a long ways to go in the landscaping world. Keep it up.

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 05-21-2012, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks LawnFakers (has that worried about body before :P) My troybilt I got just this season, but I am outgrowing it fast. I bought it to make my 4 lawns from last year go quicker but then this year with the bigger mower and better equipment I got many referrals and I advertised a bit and rapidly grew to 15! My mower starts every time first pull as well, I am very religious in maintenance haha . I am looking to get a mower with a bit more power and one that I wont have to manually turn instead, because that gets pretty tiring.

John Deere
Troybilt
Husqvarna
Echo
Old 05-21-2012, 07:51 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Your right about that. My 36 usually doesnt even come off the trailer for many lawns so I could care less about pull starting it! I am lucky enough that the 52 and 54 can usually hit all the areas but the 36 is great for getting into gated back yards. And im CHEAP AS DIRT. but hey, penny saved is a penny earned.

PlowSite-SnowFakers
Old 05-21-2012, 07:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Lol i see what you mean I am my hopes are to wait until I can justify a bigger and more powerful mower, then keep the troy as a back up, I cant get anything bigger than 40" because i mow residential and all yards that I mow with gates are 40"+

John Deere
Troybilt
Husqvarna
Echo
Old 05-25-2012, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Talking

YAHOO! I just got a call from that new account I picked up 2 weeks ago, she has been trying to get me more business because she likes my work. She has a friend who owns a store on our towns mainstreet and she would like me to maintain the property, mow mulch ect. I have wanted to get a account on main street since I started because its a great way to show off what I really can do!

Mowing tomorrow after everything finally dries up, (4 1/2 days of straight rain!) ill have some more pics then!

John Deere
Troybilt
Husqvarna
Echo
Old 05-25-2012, 09:24 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Grats. You know I thought the same thing...until I got an account on Main Street. I was an office building complex with heavy foot and bicycle traffic on the sidewalk. There was turf between the sidewalk and the building and between the sidewalk and the road that needed to be mowed. It was a pain in the tail having to constantly look for people and stop working while they pass. I got startled a few times when I'd turn around and suddenly there's someone there. I don't mean to discourage you, but there can be drawbacks to working on the Main Street.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I thought of that, but this store is actually an old chruch they converted to a store and there is quite a bit of grass on the property, ill take a pic tomorrow when I quote it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-28-2012, 10:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

All went well the other day no pics sorry but next time i head up there I am planning on interesting the client in mulching the beds she has, right now they are only dirt with weeds and flowers here and there, I also lined up a flower bed install at another property I will be starting that job probably tomorrow, no pics at all of the past weeks work my phone is dead and im to tired to get up to grab it

John Deere
Troybilt
Husqvarna
Echo
Old 05-29-2012, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

My new business cards came today! I got 250 for $10.50 at gotprint.com! Vistaprint wanted double for the options i got. They are glossy 16 lb paper ect, the last one's that i had were made with vistaprint's designs online. What do you guys think?
Attached Images

John Deere
Troybilt
Husqvarna
Echo
Old 05-29-2012, 08:34 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

The look pretty good. Not sure about the double your grass back thing, lol. It's not the most professional thing to have on your card, but it is kind of funny/catchy and since you're a kid I guess it's ok.

I use to advertise satisfaction guaranteed, but there are some people who just can't be satisfied. I ended up eating a half day of labor on lawn repair job because a guy complained that the slope of the lawn off the deck was too steep now after I filled in a bunch of ruts further out in the lawn that the tree guys made.....the thing is that I didn't touch the area near the deck at all...it was clear that it was all established turf there.

Anyway, good deal on the cards. I paid $66 with tax for a box of 500 business cards at my local printer and they're single color. I think there's a design fee in there though.