Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-12-2012, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Ive got a business question for ya's, I have 15 weekly accounts that I maintain. I got a call for a better paying account that would take 20 mins more time due to the bigger yard. I dont want to take on any more accounts, but I would like to take on this bigger better job without getting myself to busy. Would it make sense to drop on of my customers who is a pain to get over to (ie. load up mower and equipment into the back of my dads truck drop it off mow and reload, and the next week I have to work around my dads schedule to get it done again ect.) and replace them with the better paying account?

I am very happy with where my little business has taken me and who knows in the future I may take it full time and expand if things go right, but would this practice of dropping accounts and replacing them with much better ones be smart in a business perspective. I am very happy with my income and my time working per week with summer and being a teenager .

What would you guys do here?
Is this a bad business practice for what I have gotten too so far?

John Deere
Troybilt
Husqvarna
Echo
Old 06-12-2012, 06:41 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah...if you have an account that you can do independently that pays better I think it makes sense...sounds like it fits your operation better. Just make sure to give them some notice so you don't leave them stuck without someone. Be sure to tell them that it's nothing personal and that you've enjoyed working for them (even if you haven't, lol).
Old 06-12-2012, 06:48 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I am set to mow them tomorrow, I am planning on having this be the last mow I will let them know and possibly mow again if they havent found someone by then. I didnt want to do anything unless someone else thought it wouldnt be a bad idea:-D
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-12-2012, 06:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Not too much different lately just mow mow mow I tried to criss cross on the second cut yesterday they liked it here are the pics. Its been raining like crazy today as well so I got to cleaning out my shed so I figured i'd take a couple pics of that too.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-12-2012, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Keep in mind that there's a chance the new account won't work out though...one in the hand is worth 2 in the bush as they say...you have a sure thing now and replacing it with a new customer is a risk. Have you talked it over with your Dad?

I'm always trying to replace customers that are a pain with higher paying ones that aren't...more money, easier to deal with, closer or whatever...it's called cherry picking. I don't tend to drop customers mid season unless there's a really good reason though. Customers often get offended. Maybe have Dad talk to the customer with you and explain that it just isn't working out for the two of you with him having to drive you there and then come back to pick you up...or have Dad stick around and help and toss him a few bucks, hehe. Just some things to think about........
Old 06-12-2012, 07:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The new account is a definite yes I do his neighbors and his low ballers ($30 2people ) couldnt do a very nice job so I got it for 40 I was very suprised I quoted high because I didnt want to take on any more work but he agreed. I talked it over with my dad and he said he would be fine with me dropping them. He doesnt like driving me around at all :-/
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-13-2012, 10:03 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

As I have said before I am looking for a bigger / more powerful mower than my troy bilt. The troy was perfect for the beginning of the season but then I got 11 more accounts and mowing 3 hours a day is really tiring considering that the mower doesnt help on steering at all, you have to lug it through turns. So after watching craigslist and missing out on that really nice encore, I came across this one Its an hour away from me 2005 model Snapper mower. My neighbor has the same mower basically and I have used it before and really like it. What do you guys think? On the phone the man didnt know of the engine size or model # but maybe this weekend I could find out .
I imagine it is a 15 hp engine I know it is kawi, and looks much bigger than say this one below

Pic order:
1. Snapper mower with 12.5 engine for comparison
2. One I am looking at
3. One I am looking at

John Deere
Troybilt
Husqvarna
Echo
Old 06-13-2012, 10:43 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know much about those machines but it looks like it's got some hours on it...I'd guess 1,500 or so. I'd be concerned that it could need a motor replacement soon and if so it probably wouldn't be worth doing. Is that gas tank secured by zip ties? Whatever you decide to do I would hold onto your current mower as a backup.
Old 06-13-2012, 10:47 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

That thing looks kinda rough. Definitely has some hours on it and like darryl said the motor may be on its way out. My honest opinion is to keep walking on that one. I'm not sure what your budget may be but I know there can be some really good deals and that nicer mowers will always come alOng and if you did someone who is desperate to sell you can practically steal it from them. It's your choic but I would say hold ff and keep looking.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-13-2012, 11:10 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

it has 394 hours on it actually lol, if the general consensus is that hold off Ill trust ya's after all im new you guys arent haha. Darryl I saw the gas tank as well and it isnt held on by zip ties when he was selling it at his shop he put the for sale sign on the zip ties but never removed them. My original plan was to always keep mine because there isnt anything wrong with it, so when something breaks down Ill have a back up. Eventually I will find a great deal, and then I will sell my 21" mowers that are just sitting as back ups. I dont take on an account that requires push mowing, or that I cant fit my 33" through.

Thanks for the input Ill keep you guys posted on anything else that happens lol

John Deere
Troybilt
Husqvarna
Echo