Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-09-2012, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Member

Toro transmission rebuild?

After years of reliable service the input shaft bearings on our gear drive walk behind has failed. The transmission is a peerless 7338 700-70A Has any one rebuilt one and it worth my effort to try? I see parts are available. I am also wondering if any one rebuilds the transmissions?This might be the one failure we have never dealt with be for. Thanks for any insight!
Old 05-09-2012, 03:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

They're easy. I've done a few of them. I recommend replacing the shift keys while you're in there. You'll need a tube of Bentonite grease to put back into it. The one tricky part for most people is getting the case apart. If you look on the back of the tranny you'll see a raised boss with an a hex head screw in it. Remove the screw and then there will be a spring and a little steel ball. That is the shift detent. You must remove them to get the shifter shaft to pass through the case so you can open the case.

Just pay extremely close attention to the order that everything comes apart. There are numerous washer and shims inside and they must be put back in the exact order that they came apart. I recommend getting the Techumseh Peerless transmission service manual.

Old 05-09-2012, 05:23 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

to rebuild mine its was more $ than a new one.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:53 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

I have done both, generally speaking when it comes down to those needle bearings in the input shaft, it's just not worth it.

Way I see things, if I can fix it by just removing the top cover, it's worth a shot.
But if I have to remove the entire transmission, I just as soon replace it.
Old 05-10-2012, 06:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Just yesterday I replaced two transmisions on a 36" and 48" Scag belt drive, I bought the transmissions from Russo for $ 188 ea.
I got the instructions from this website, do a search on peerless tecumseh transmissions, the instructions were right on, first one took about 3 hrs. and the second one hour and 15 minutes.