Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-11-2012, 09:38 AM
LawnSite Member

Exmark Metro ECS 36 inch or Toro 36 T-Bar 30674

I'm trying to decide which of the two to buy new. I want a mower that cuts smooth the first time without having to go over it a second time, that has no grass clumpings, can cut smoothly and move on slopes easily, and has quality spindles. I will be cutting on a slope in some areas but most of the cutting area is flat. Toro has the Turbo Force and does that make a difference in grass clippings? There are 2 Exmark dealers and 1 toro dealer near me. Any advice on these two will be very helpful to me in making sound decision. Forums like this is a tremendous help when making decisions on buying goods and service.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

T-bar beats ECS controls by a mile! good luck!
Old 05-11-2012, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Member

I used to have the Toro you are talking about. Beautiful cut!! Good luck with your choice.
Old 05-11-2012, 02:22 PM
LawnSite Member

I have the Metro ECS

Hi Darryl,

Can't speak for the toros, but I'm sure they are a nice machine too. I bought a new Xmark 36" Metro last season with the ECS handles. Beautiful machine for a belt drive, the ECS handles take a little getting used to at first, but by the 3rd week of using them I don't think I would go back to a conventional set up again by choice. Once I got used to the ECS setup I really felt comfortable with it & liked it. The cut of the deck is outstanding, never have had a complaint with grass clumping, or deck clogging..........EVER.

I had a job last year that involved mowing an aera behind an easment fence once per month along with the weekly adjacent properties. Grass would get tall & thick due to it being a low area of the properties. Never once had a complaint or problem with the Metro handling it well, usually 2nd gear first pass & 3rd or 4th 2nd pass. Yes with the month long higher grass it took 2 passes to get it down & looking passable for the particular area.

I don't use this mower as my primary, it is for my fenced area yards & such, usually put about 8 - 9 hrs per week on it. I would have gone for a hydro if it were to be a primary mower, but the belt drive system on this Exmark is one of the better ones I've worked with. Really smooth & easy to control with the ECS system. I am guilty of muscling the little Metro around just a little bit tough, don't really have to, it's just light enough & easy enough for me to get by with it so I do it.

Mark J.