Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-09-2012, 08:39 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Anyone get stopped at the huge MD DOT ckeckpoint today?

I read online that in Prince George's County today Maryland DOT had a huge check point set up on the beltway and they were sending all the commercial vehicles to Fed Ex field and doing full checks on all of the vehicles. It said they checked 420 vehicles today.

Anyone get stopped?
Old 05-09-2012, 09:22 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

A friend of mine told me a while back that DOT in my area was hitting up a lot of LCO's... any trailer with a ZTR got checked for DOT #'s and what not.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:25 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Hey I just got off the phone with O'malley and let him know you squeaked by the DOT check point .He assured me that he will be looking for you guy's on the road tomorrow.Man it dosen't surprise me a bit what a crock.I bet the DOT made a TON of money today and everyone pulled over I bet got a ticket.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:26 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClassicLawnCareInc View Post
I read online that in Prince George's County today Maryland DOT had a huge check point set up on the beltway and they were sending all the commercial vehicles to Fed Ex field and doing full checks on all of the vehicles. It said they checked 420 vehicles today.

Anyone get stopped?
Yeah, I'm just not thinking that you'll see a whole lot of lawn guys out on the beltway. Was DHS involved in this in any way?

Old 05-09-2012, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

what a crock of crap that is.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

The report said they have out over 200 tickets
Old 05-09-2012, 09:45 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
Was DHS involved in this in any way?

That made my stomach turn.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:26 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I'm under 10,001lb fully loaded with everything I'd take on a given day. It all weighs under 10K combined and the CGVW is at 10k even. I do not have to comply with any specific regulations other then MD. state inspection. The DOT can stop me but it's not going to get them the money they're really after. They're after the guys driving 3/4 and 1 ton crew cab trucks with dual axle trailers loaded with 3-4 ztr's, water container, gas cans lined up, trimmers and all the other stuff 3-4 guys will need to do "X" amount of work. I see these types everyday around me. I bought both truck and trailer with the DOT regulations in mind so I don't have to comply with the crap they pin you down with when the CGVW is over 10,001lb. I make sure the truck and trailer are safe. Light's all work, everything is strapped or tied down. I'm even considering replacing the trailer axle with one equipped with brakes just for the extra stopping ability.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:11 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
I'm under 10,001lb fully loaded with everything I'd take on a given day. It all weighs under 10K combined and the CGVW is at 10k even. I do not have to comply with any specific regulations other then MD. state inspection. The DOT can stop me but it's not going to get them the money they're really after. They're after the guys driving 3/4 and 1 ton crew cab trucks with dual axle trailers loaded with 3-4 ztr's, water container, gas cans lined up, trimmers and all the other stuff 3-4 guys will need to do "X" amount of work. I see these types everyday around me. I bought both truck and trailer with the DOT regulations in mind so I don't have to comply with the crap they pin you down with when the CGVW is over 10,001lb. I make sure the truck and trailer are safe. Light's all work, everything is strapped or tied down. I'm even considering replacing the trailer axle with one equipped with brakes just for the extra stopping ability.

Why are the regulations crap?

What's the big deal about being in the 10,001-26,000 range?
There's really not that much more to comply with compared to what your running. You're probably gonna get pulled into those type of checkpoints anyways.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-10-2012, 02:09 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
I'm even considering replacing the trailer axle with one equipped with brakes just for the extra stopping ability.
They make those trailers without brakes for good reason, it costs close to what the trailer is worth and it only adds maybe 10 percent more brake to your rig.
80 percent of our stopping power is in the truck's front two tires, when we step on the brakes ALL our weight shifts to the front and no matter
how many brakes get put in back, it is still the weight bearing down on the front that makes two wheels carry almost the entire responsibility.
Ultimately it's about making sure we have enough space in front to stop.

Last edited by herler; 05-10-2012 at 02:13 AM.