Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-11-2012, 01:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Steps Against House Help

Alright, I'm designing a set of steps that come down from the house door to grade where we will be installing a paver patio. The picture I attached below is a perfect example of what we will be doing, except ours will be 2 steps more (5 total) because the door is 30" off the ground. We are going to use Belgard Weston Wall for the seat walls on either side of the steps, and Belgard Celtik wall for the steps. So here is the problem I am dealing with:

Celtik actually has riser and step pieces that they make for building steps. You lay a 4" solid concrete block on the base, then a riser on top of that and a tread on top of that, backfill with base, compact, repeat.

This would be great if I was building steps into a grade and not against a structure, but I don't think it is a good idea to be compacting 36"+ of base against the side of the house. My idea for a solution is to build a wall against the house, either using the Weston Wall or just standard cmu block. That way there is something between the compaction and the house to take the pressure. Is that how you guys would do it? I'm open to suggestions, I really need to get this estimate finished and I can't obviously until I know what materials I need for these steps. Thanks for the help!
Attached Images

"Without purpose ... goals, ambitions, and dreams aren't worth the paper they're written on. Without direction, a business plan, no matter how carefully written, is simply a bunch of words ruining a perfectly good blank sheet of paper."
Old 05-11-2012, 04:50 PM
LawnSite Member

Landscaping steps

Re-enforced footings. Then place geo synthetic grid in twice. Bottom 6" and then maybe 3-4th course.

I have never been a fan of "gaping" between the home and the steps. But if thats what budget dictates, then thats not a horrible solution. That just gives another place to fail and most homes in and around that "overdig" tend to settle for years.

I would push for the footings. Do it right the first time, costs half as much as finding the cheap way.

Minneapolis Landscaping Design | View Our Latest Landscaping Design Projects
Old 05-11-2012, 09:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GroundOneMN View Post
Re-enforced footings. Then place geo synthetic grid in twice. Bottom 6" and then maybe 3-4th course.

I have never been a fan of "gaping" between the home and the steps. But if thats what budget dictates, then thats not a horrible solution. That just gives another place to fail and most homes in and around that "overdig" tend to settle for years.

I would push for the footings. Do it right the first time, costs half as much as finding the cheap way.
Reinforced footings under what? The whole set of steps? The house was built in the early 90's, so I'm not considering settling much of a factor. So can you explain the footings part in greater detail?

Also, what do you mean by "gaping"?

Thanks for the response

"Without purpose ... goals, ambitions, and dreams aren't worth the paper they're written on. Without direction, a business plan, no matter how carefully written, is simply a bunch of words ruining a perfectly good blank sheet of paper."
Old 05-11-2012, 09:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Need more info. Is the 30" siding or foundation wall?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-12-2012, 08:39 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DVS Hardscaper View Post
Need more info. Is the 30" siding or foundation wall?
Posted via Mobile Device
Both. Basement wall is probably about 2/3 and the rest is vinyl siding. Ill try to put a pic up in a bit.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-12-2012, 04:04 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Here's a couple pics of the site where the steps will go:
Attached Images

Old 05-12-2012, 05:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We use something we call "pillowing." I explain it in my picture thread on here. Here is the link to the page. http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=339989&page=37

Anyone can run equipment, very few can operate.

Check out what I do.
http://www.youtube.com/user/BobcatNinja2124

The company I work for.
http://www.interstatelandscapenh.com/

Follow me on Facebook.
http://www.facebook.com/TheDirtNinja
Old 05-12-2012, 08:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Interesting TomG. In your pics, it almost looks like there is some kind of block near the foundation wall?

So where the steps would be up against the siding in my project, should I be removing the siding and putting up a moisture barrier? Do you have any side drawings of this pillowing method you use? I think I understand, but I think I would understand better with some kind of drawing.

DVS, still interested to hear your opinion now that I posted the new pictures.

Old 05-12-2012, 09:31 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveslawncare View Post
Here's a couple pics of the site where the steps will go:
For that short amount of siding I doubt we would do anything special.

And this is coming from 16 yrs of dedicated hardscape experience.

The concern is moisture.

1st of all, the roof most likely has an overhang. Chances of water finding its way that close to the house are slim. Now if it's a blowing rain, the kind where it comes through open windows - then yeAh the top step will get wet. But your top landing should NEVER be level, it should fall away from the dwelling.

Next - vinyl siding has vent holes on the bottom of each section. This allows the siding to breathe.

You're talkin 10-inches. In this case I wouldn't think twice about leaving the siding as is. Now in terms of the owner replacing the siding 13 yrs from now - different story.

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-12-2012, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graveslawncare View Post

DVS, still interested to hear your opinion now that I posted the new pictures.
Sorry for the delay. Race weekend! Busy busy!
Posted via Mobile Device