Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-13-2012, 06:41 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMlawncare View Post
Industry average is right around $42/hr. Some companies including mine can make over $60/hr while on a site but there is no way we can keep that average throughout the day. We average around $34/hr through out the day. This includes drive time, loading/unloading, restroom visits, etc.
Nonsense. You're not charging enough or not working fast enough. I get 60/hr all day and twice on Sunday's.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:00 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

There is a differance between billable time and the amount of time from when you leave until you get home....
Service equipment time....

A true hourly rate includes all this.

Self employed for over 35 years..
Old 05-13-2012, 08:17 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMlawncare View Post
Industry average is right around $42/hr. Some companies including mine can make over $60/hr while on a site but there is no way we can keep that average throughout the day. We average around $34/hr through out the day. This includes drive time, loading/unloading, restroom visits, etc.
So you are only making 340 gross in a 10 hr work day? If you are making out on the good this is a good example of difference in overhead!
Old 05-13-2012, 09:37 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
So you are only making 340 gross in a 10 hr work day? If you are making out on the good this is a good example of difference in overhead!
That's nothing for a business. My average is over $60hr. I worked 3.5hrs yesterday cutting 3 properties and grossed almost $100hr.
Old 05-13-2012, 09:57 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If you can make $45/hour with a Metro 48 I'd say you're doing pretty well...they're not the most productive machine out there. I try to get at least $60/hr on site which puts me at about $50/hr with travel and breaks. I have some bigger lawns that are a little under that and some small ones that are way over that. I look at things by the day though, not the hour though really...I try to bring in AT LEAST $300/day when working solo. Usually it's in the $400 to $500 range for mowing.
Old 05-13-2012, 10:32 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmith View Post
Nonsense. You're not charging enough or not working fast enough. I get 60/hr all day and twice on Sunday's.
I find that most people who get $60 an hour are doing mostly the 5K lawns where one guy can do a $35 yard in 35 minutes or even less sometimes. The problem is your going to have more travel time which can lower you daily average which is the number that counts.

I would be willing to bet that anyone who says their daily average is $60 per man hour is not doing all the required math. We all work in markets with competition where you usually can't just throw out crazy numbers.

The reality is that the bigger properties where you make less per man hour for mowing are going to usually be the ones that make you the most money overall. This is because you are working more and traveling less. These are the types of properties that almost always require way more trimming, spraying, and mulching. The $35 a cut jobs may need a dozen bags of mulch a year while your other larger yards need 300 bags of mulch. The bigger properties are also the ones that usually generate the most winter work and keep cash in your pockets year round.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 05-13-2012, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The other thing that needs to be mentioned is that the more guys you have on a crew the less your going to average per man hour. This is because the most efficient crew size is solo. That's only one guy getting paid for travel time and less redundancy at the job site.

With multiple man crews you make more money because of the volume you can generate. Solo your end up hitting your head on the ceiling because you can only do so many man hours per day. I think some guys who think other guys are making too little per man hour on average aren't looking at the bigger picture and realizing why the sales per man hour range can be so diverse.

It's easy to have that one man show mentality and not realize how things actually work in the business world.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/
Old 05-13-2012, 10:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
The other thing that needs to be mentioned is that the more guys you have on a crew the less your going to average per man hour. This is because the most efficient crew size is solo. That's only one guy getting paid for travel time and less redundancy at the job site.

With multiple man crews you make more money because of the volume you can generate. Solo your end up hitting your head on the ceiling because you can only do so many man hours per day. I think some guys who think other guys are making too little per man hour on average aren't looking at the bigger picture and realizing why the sales per man hour range can be so diverse.

It's easy to have that one man show mentality and not realize how things actually work in the business world.
Excellent post, excellent
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-13-2012, 12:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjessen View Post
dmolaver, you may be selling yourself short. On the other hand, if you were cutting that lawn with a 60" mower you could get it done in a good bit less time. Also, keep in mind that you are just getting started and will get faster with experience. Keep track of your mowing times each time you service the property to see if they improve. One last thing, is this lawn mowed weekly? If not, that is part of the problem.

jmo, but the job you mentioned is probably worth $60.
this property is a weekly cut. i know that i am still getting used to cutting this property itself but i can't see myself getting much faster.. it's really the trimming on this property that takes up a good amount of time
Old 05-13-2012, 12:29 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

I agree, crew size impacts manhour cost. Yes windshild time can eat your lunch and more. However, you can recapture your overhead as a lower percentage of the man hours.