Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-13-2012, 07:24 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassmasterswilson View Post
So you are only making 340 gross in a 10 hr work day? If you are making out on the good this is a good example of difference in overhead!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-13-2012, 07:33 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMlawncare View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
No on average its an 8.5hr day. Most solo crews bring in $300-$350/day. Two man crew will generate around $600-650/day. Three man crew will generate between $900-1050/day. This is all dependent on day and route.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-13-2012, 07:39 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantscapeSolutions View Post
I find that most people who get $60 an hour are doing mostly the 5K lawns where one guy can do a $35 yard in 35 minutes or even less sometimes. The problem is your going to have more travel time which can lower you daily average which is the number that counts.

I would be willing to bet that anyone who says their daily average is $60 per man hour is not doing all the required math. We all work in markets with competition where you usually can't just throw out crazy numbers.

The reality is that the bigger properties where you make less per man hour for mowing are going to usually be the ones that make you the most money overall. This is because you are working more and traveling less. These are the types of properties that almost always require way more trimming, spraying, and mulching. The $35 a cut jobs may need a dozen bags of mulch a year while your other larger yards need 300 bags of mulch. The bigger properties are also the ones that usually generate the most winter work and keep cash in your pockets year round.
I agree to some extent but disagree to another... if you have a lot of smaller lawns in a tighter route, you're going to make more money than if you were to have a big lawn then a 10 minute drive then a big lawn and another drive. A tighter route is more important than the size of the lawn.

2014 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4
2013 Chevy Silverado 3500 4x4 Dump
2005 Chevy Silverado 1500
2013 7x16 Big Tex
2010 6x10 Big Tex
Buyers 2YD Poly Spreader
52" Scag Cheetah
48" Exmark Turf Tracer
48" Exmark Viking
18HP Little Wonder Vac
Toro Snowblowers
Stihl Handhelds

www.prestonlawnscapes.com

My work - http://lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=351577&page=13
Old 05-13-2012, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangemower View Post
That's nothing for a business. My average is over $60hr. I worked 3.5hrs yesterday cutting 3 properties and grossed almost $100hr.
See this is the difference. He only worked for 3.5hrs. He only moved the truck three times. Try moving the truck 3-4 times per hour on a three man crew for 9hours a day. Crap, in three hours you don't even need to find a bathroom. This is why many small part time operaters don't even know what a true daily average is.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-14-2012, 09:38 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pressedun View Post
I agree to some extent but disagree to another... if you have a lot of smaller lawns in a tighter route, you're going to make more money than if you were to have a big lawn then a 10 minute drive then a big lawn and another drive. A tighter route is more important than the size of the lawn.
I have a lot of the bigger properties but a handful of the smaller ones as well. The smaller ones can make you some quick money in the summer but those bigger ones pay the mortgage year round. Even my smaller properties are mostly $300K homes that generate ten times the work that your average starter homes generate.

Services-AutoCAD Landscape Design & Install, Maintenance, Landscape Lighting, HD Holiday Lighting, Masonry (Stone, Block, Brick, and Stucco), & Arborist Work

Accreditations & Memberships- BBB, TNLA, TPCL 611373, & Class 1 Nurserymen.

Market Niche- High end residential.

-http://plantscapesolutions.net/