Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-15-2012, 11:27 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

One thing I noticed right away was how quickly the deck gets clogged up. My 36 inch scag gets some grass under the deck but not to the point of it falling out every time I disengage the blades like the timemaster.

Even when side discharging the deck gets completely clogged. Keep in mind mine kept clogging even while cutting weekly maintained lawns.
Old 05-15-2012, 11:33 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallstripesnc View Post
One thing I noticed right away was how quickly the deck gets clogged up. My 36 inch scag gets some grass under the deck but not to the point of it falling out every time I disengage the blades like the timemaster.

Even when side discharging the deck gets completely clogged. Keep in mind mine kept clogging even while cutting weekly maintained lawns.
I don't doubt the scag is better, but it's also 3.5x the price and i'm cutting 3/4 acre of land in about 25 minutes using less than half a tank of fuel... of course I hold the personal pace AGAINST the "traction bar" (thumbs and index fingers) at all times and rpm is increased so I literally fly around the yard, but for my needs I cannot justify a $3500 mower. Compared to a 21" super recycler it's taking less than half the time AND using less gas due to shorter run time vs engine displacement difference/efficiency.

I do clean the deck after 2-3 mows, but in spring that's pretty typical of any mulching mower I would think. Few scrapes with a plastic ice scraper and a hose, no big deal.

Some have mentioned cutting with the rear 1 notch higher than the front, that was disasterous for me... I had grass clumps and a wavy cut, not sure why that's been recommended.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:51 AM
LawnSite Member

the best way to cut tall out of control grass with the time saver is to put on the dishcharge shute and put on the bagger it will dishcharge and bag at the same time helping the flow of mowing without clogging. try it out it works.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:59 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have yet to see a good review on this machine.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:05 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Mulching at 3.5 with those blades might be the problem. Very little lift, I would lower it 1/2 inch and mow it again in a different direction. When I mulch at 3.5 with my 60 inch mowers the first pass looks pretty bad like your pics, thats why we doublecut some lawns.

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Old 05-17-2012, 02:31 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls3c6 View Post
Wow... I can't believe how hit or miss this mower is.

I have about 9hrs on mine, blades untouched but RPM set to 3600. I have a "near perfect" lawn that I cut at 3" front and rear and haven't experienced ANY of these problems, however I have been cutting every 3 days or so.

I will let it grow for a week and see what my results are, however it has been leaving a cut that looks commerical grade and much better than my 21" super recycler did, maybe the rpm does it I don't know...
Same experience here. Works great for me. I need a rear bagger, so I don't know what the alterative is. A commercial walk behind would not be any good in my yard. I cut thick wet grass with no problem.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:40 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TForan View Post
Same experience here. Works great for me. I need a rear bagger, so I don't know what the alterative is. A commercial walk behind would not be any good in my yard. I cut thick wet grass with no problem.
That's the difference between a professional and a homeowner. It's good enough for a homeowner but it fails under the scrutiny of the seasoned professional's eye. It would probably fall apart if a crew used it.

Old 05-17-2012, 03:52 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
That's the difference between a professional and a homeowner. It's good enough for a homeowner but it fails under the scrutiny of the seasoned professional's eye. It would probably fall apart if a crew used it.

Lord, for the thousandth time, it's not made for commercial use. Here's my yard in early spring before it really starts looking good. How does it look to your "seasoned professional's eye".

Old 05-17-2012, 03:54 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Dont know what kind of grass that is, but looks real similar to Zoysia. I have to run high lifts on my push mowers due to the high moisture content from the daily irrigation. It made the grass lay over and the deck couldnt draw enough enough vacuum to pull it up straight. I put high lift Sten's on my two 21's and it solved the problem completely.

Ahh, just noticed you were mulching. Im doubting it will ever mulch like you need it to. Just not enough HP or the ability of the deck to actually recycle the grass. If you are hell bent on mulching, you need a set of wavy blades.

Last edited by hammmerhead; 05-17-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:57 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammmerhead View Post
Dont know what kind of grass that is, but looks real similar to Zoysia. I have to run high lifts on my push mowers due to the high moisture content from the daily irrigation. It made the grass lay over and the deck couldnt draw enough enough vacuum to pull it up straight. I put high lift Sten's on my two 21's and it solved the problem completely.

It's fescue, rye and bluegrass. No problem with it laying over.