Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 05-15-2012, 11:27 PM
smallstripesnc smallstripesnc is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Charlotte, NC
Posts: 674
One thing I noticed right away was how quickly the deck gets clogged up. My 36 inch scag gets some grass under the deck but not to the point of it falling out every time I disengage the blades like the timemaster.

Even when side discharging the deck gets completely clogged. Keep in mind mine kept clogging even while cutting weekly maintained lawns.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 05-15-2012, 11:33 PM
ls3c6 ls3c6 is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Midwest
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallstripesnc View Post
One thing I noticed right away was how quickly the deck gets clogged up. My 36 inch scag gets some grass under the deck but not to the point of it falling out every time I disengage the blades like the timemaster.

Even when side discharging the deck gets completely clogged. Keep in mind mine kept clogging even while cutting weekly maintained lawns.
I don't doubt the scag is better, but it's also 3.5x the price and i'm cutting 3/4 acre of land in about 25 minutes using less than half a tank of fuel... of course I hold the personal pace AGAINST the "traction bar" (thumbs and index fingers) at all times and rpm is increased so I literally fly around the yard, but for my needs I cannot justify a $3500 mower. Compared to a 21" super recycler it's taking less than half the time AND using less gas due to shorter run time vs engine displacement difference/efficiency.

I do clean the deck after 2-3 mows, but in spring that's pretty typical of any mulching mower I would think. Few scrapes with a plastic ice scraper and a hose, no big deal.

Some have mentioned cutting with the rear 1 notch higher than the front, that was disasterous for me... I had grass clumps and a wavy cut, not sure why that's been recommended.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 05-16-2012, 12:51 AM
Busybee Lawns's Avatar
Busybee Lawns Busybee Lawns is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Fayette &Green County
Posts: 82
the best way to cut tall out of control grass with the time saver is to put on the dishcharge shute and put on the bagger it will dishcharge and bag at the same time helping the flow of mowing without clogging. try it out it works.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 05-16-2012, 12:59 AM
Duekster Duekster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,971
I have yet to see a good review on this machine.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 05-16-2012, 02:05 AM
MJB's Avatar
MJB MJB is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Wa
Posts: 2,868
Mulching at 3.5 with those blades might be the problem. Very little lift, I would lower it 1/2 inch and mow it again in a different direction. When I mulch at 3.5 with my 60 inch mowers the first pass looks pretty bad like your pics, thats why we doublecut some lawns.
__________________
MJB

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 05-17-2012, 02:31 PM
TForan TForan is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MI
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ls3c6 View Post
Wow... I can't believe how hit or miss this mower is.

I have about 9hrs on mine, blades untouched but RPM set to 3600. I have a "near perfect" lawn that I cut at 3" front and rear and haven't experienced ANY of these problems, however I have been cutting every 3 days or so.

I will let it grow for a week and see what my results are, however it has been leaving a cut that looks commerical grade and much better than my 21" super recycler did, maybe the rpm does it I don't know...
Same experience here. Works great for me. I need a rear bagger, so I don't know what the alterative is. A commercial walk behind would not be any good in my yard. I cut thick wet grass with no problem.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 05-17-2012, 03:40 PM
Richard Martin's Avatar
Richard Martin Richard Martin is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 14,529
Quote:
Originally Posted by TForan View Post
Same experience here. Works great for me. I need a rear bagger, so I don't know what the alterative is. A commercial walk behind would not be any good in my yard. I cut thick wet grass with no problem.
That's the difference between a professional and a homeowner. It's good enough for a homeowner but it fails under the scrutiny of the seasoned professional's eye. It would probably fall apart if a crew used it.
__________________
Serving Greenville, Winterville and Ayden NC



Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 05-17-2012, 03:52 PM
TForan TForan is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MI
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Martin View Post
That's the difference between a professional and a homeowner. It's good enough for a homeowner but it fails under the scrutiny of the seasoned professional's eye. It would probably fall apart if a crew used it.

Lord, for the thousandth time, it's not made for commercial use. Here's my yard in early spring before it really starts looking good. How does it look to your "seasoned professional's eye".

Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 05-17-2012, 03:54 PM
hammmerhead's Avatar
hammmerhead hammmerhead is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: ozarks
Posts: 266
Dont know what kind of grass that is, but looks real similar to Zoysia. I have to run high lifts on my push mowers due to the high moisture content from the daily irrigation. It made the grass lay over and the deck couldnt draw enough enough vacuum to pull it up straight. I put high lift Sten's on my two 21's and it solved the problem completely.

Ahh, just noticed you were mulching. Im doubting it will ever mulch like you need it to. Just not enough HP or the ability of the deck to actually recycle the grass. If you are hell bent on mulching, you need a set of wavy blades.

Last edited by hammmerhead; 05-17-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 05-17-2012, 03:57 PM
TForan TForan is offline
LawnSite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MI
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammmerhead View Post
Dont know what kind of grass that is, but looks real similar to Zoysia. I have to run high lifts on my push mowers due to the high moisture content from the daily irrigation. It made the grass lay over and the deck couldnt draw enough enough vacuum to pull it up straight. I put high lift Sten's on my two 21's and it solved the problem completely.

It's fescue, rye and bluegrass. No problem with it laying over.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:56 AM.

Page generated in 0.07290 seconds with 8 queries