Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 06-10-2012, 05:03 PM
LawnSite Member

Looking at the pictures it looks like there is crabgrass in the lawn. Crabgrass can be mistaken for fescue sometimes. If it is crabgrass the only things I have found that will cut it good is: Drive 75, Round Up, a shovel or fire. Everything else is futile.

Not knocking your turf keeping skills----just a thought.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:16 PM
LawnSite Member

commercial / residential

The Timemaster has found itself in a polarizing position here in the past year. Like many others I have been researching reviews, opinions, post regarding the TM and not surprised that opinions vary, but I am amazed that the divide is so vast. From the home owner that thinks it is the greatest thing since sliced bread defending it, to the experienced professional who seem insulted at the idea of owning/using one. If you get beyond that there are QC issues just like any other piece of equipment ever made you should be able agree on a few things.
The Toro Timemaster is a residential/homeowner mower. While it is not a mower to be used as a "1st off the truck" tool to tackle 25 lawns a week/ 5 days a week, it absolutely has an application for commercial mowing. Working with my father-in-law as part of a 2 man crew, we do roughly 60 lawns a week varying from postage stamps to 3 acre yards. He owns an Exmark Lazerz 60" zero turn, 2 toro proline 48" walk behinds, 1 Toro 40" proline, and a Toro 21" for those gated properties. Right now that 21" comes off the truck maybe 5 times a week. I personally own a Timemaster and if he ever put one in rotation, that 21" would never, ever come off the truck. EVER.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:56 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stansoph View Post
Looking at the pictures it looks like there is crabgrass in the lawn. Crabgrass can be mistaken for fescue sometimes. If it is crabgrass the only things I have found that will cut it good is: Drive 75, Round Up, a shovel or fire. Everything else is futile.

How can crabgrass be mistaken for fescue? They look nothing alike. If someone can't tell the difference, they better find another profession or buy a book and study like mad. At times when I get bored mowing, trimming or what ever I'm doing at the moment I see a weed, disease, or grass I run them through my head til I see them in my dreams.

Not knocking your turf keeping skills----just a thought.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-12-2012, 09:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have yet to get my hands on one and see how it handles, becuz no one in my area seems interested enough to stock one... not even one...

Recently, folks that I've mentioned it to, suggest that it may very well be too bulky to be used comfortably and sensibly... especially a 90 lbs. weakling...

What are the thots of those who've actually owned one in regards to that???
Old 06-12-2012, 09:49 AM
LawnSite Member

it's easier to operate than any 21" i've ever handled
Old 06-13-2012, 08:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Timemaster Handling

Going from a 21" rear drive super recycler, i would agree that it handles better. The personal pace is awesome. I can "back and forth" this mower under bushes with ease- with my super recycler i was pulling against the spinning rear wheels which was tricky. Because it was a light weight 21" I could man handle it under bushes and through turns - with the Timemaster I just go where I want with no struggle at all. The only manhandling is when I fold it up and put it in the back of the Tahoe.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:15 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Sounds like the handling is going to be just fine... thanx...
Old 06-13-2012, 12:18 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kynobi View Post
I can "back and forth" this mower under bushes with ease- with with my super recycler i was pulling against the spinning rear wheels which was tricky.
Was it not possible to disengage the drive system when you wanted to pull the mower backwards?
Old 06-13-2012, 06:15 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTC View Post
Was it not possible to disengage the drive system when you wanted to pull the mower backwards?
For sure. I could put it in neutral and have at it but not that big a deal for a couple of passes.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:01 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kynobi View Post
For sure. I could put it in neutral and have at it but not that big a deal for a couple of passes.
What kind of Super Recycler are you talking about?
I bought mine 2 years ago - there's no "neutral".

If you try to back up without letting it "roll" a few inches first, I find that the wheels will lock up, but that is something you get used to pretty quickly. There's no way to disengage anything, so I'm confused by your post.

ETA: Do you mean a commercial model?