Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 07-10-2012, 12:29 AM
LawnSite Member

As I stated earlier - the timemaster is no good without modification. After modification - it's all I use on the residential properties where I live. It's way better than a Toro recycler. I have a brand new commercial 21" toro recycler and it sucks big time compared to the timemaster after modifications.

The recycler bogs down in everything and I spend more time stopping to let it breathe than I do actually mowing the lawn.

Also bear in mind that we side discharge all of our lawns (recycler doesn't offer this option) and with the timemaster we fly through properties in half the time. It never bogs down, it discharges beautifully after the blade mod/discharge chute mod and we can have 2 people running 2 - 30" timemasters to replace 3 people running 3 - 21" mowers. Not to mention the fact that you can actually use it at nearly full speed with no bogging and it leaves a perfect clean cut.

From the factory the blades are horrifically designed. You should notice right away that the blade are angled downward from the center towards the blade tip; that is to say that if you ran your finger from the blade tip to the center bolt you would gradually be moving upwards - this in and of itself results in a downdraft instead of an updraft and sends clipping to the sides of the deck instead of up in a circulating motion through the deck. After no time at all the deck becomes clogged with grass and the airflow becomes null. First thing you need to do is straighten the blade so that the tip and the center of the blade form a straight line. The second thing you need to do is twist the blade so that the blades have more lift (I did this with a sledge hammer and a strong cement block by placing the blade on the edge of the block and giving it a few hard blows while I held it down with my foot).

The side discharge chute is horrible with a giant piece that obstructs the chute. Cut this out with a grinder or similar tool. I also shortened the chute as most residential chutes point downwards for safety and this is not what you want in a commercial unit as you want the clippings to disperse as much as possible to prevent clumping/piling of grass. Do this and obviously as with any mower make sure the blade is razor sharp and you're cooking with fire.

I have attached some pics I took today of the cut quality. No stragglers.
Attached Images

Old 07-10-2012, 08:25 AM
LawnSite Member

I currently run a Timemaster and my previous mower was also a super recycler and I must say that with the personal pace on the Timemaster, it is anything but cumbersome. I can see why you may form that opinion because of its appearance but it handles like a dream. Love this mower.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:17 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I cut 10 properties with mine the other day and it was 100 degrees. Lot sizes was 6-7,000 sq ft. Then when the regulae crew finished i went and cut Two more lawns with the wright stander. The timemaster cuts better to me but it felt good to be on that wright for the last lawns.
Old 07-10-2012, 03:28 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
I have a Toro SR4 (Super Recycler) and have been mostly very happy with it. Bagging high grass is the only real negative, but I rarely bag, so it's not a huge issue. It mulches beautifully and that's the biggest thing I use to compare when considering another mower.

The Hondas always seem to get good reviews, so I started looking into them. I'm not opposed to trying another brand if it benefits me in the long run.
The Honda deck looks like a nightmare to scrape underneath - my Toro is much "smoother", with less nooks and crannies for grass to build up on.

Also, I can't wrap my head around how that Honda control setup could be remotely as user-friendly as the Toro Personal Pace system. I can "one-hand" my mower back and forth under trees and such and do so at any speed I desire, all without moving a lever to change the forward speed. That and the overall "heavier/clunky" feel turned me off of the Honda when I looked at one.

Anyway, this has little to do with the topic, so I'll wrap up by saying that although I haven't USED a Timewhatever (Toro made a huge mistake naming it something so similar to another mower), I looked one over at my dealer, and wasn't as excited as I was before seeing it. Seems heavy and cumbersome. Also, the back wheels on my SR4 cost me $60 (for both) to replace (tread worn down, then split) after one season - I don't even want to THINK about what those big-a$$ed wheels on that Timethingy will cost to replace as they wear out from daily use.
The Honda's with the Nexite deck do not need to be scraped. It's very slick and has an almost Teflon like anti-stick property to it.

Now the controls, I really have no defense for that except that when you have throttle/mower speed, blade brake and propulsion engagement on one handle bar, it would be impossible IMO to make it any easier to use.
ECHO PB-300e
Old beast! I cant wait to
get my new decals in the mail!!!
Old 07-10-2012, 03:46 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by stansoph View Post
I bought a Timeaster and liked it so much I went and bought 3 more. My accounts are cut low and mulched; so my experience is from this level and method, (1"-1.5") the machines work great at that height. Quality of cut is very good on highly manicured turf. We use them mainly for second pass cut after we have used a reel for the initial pass picking up and mulching the grass remaining and the stray stragglers. Time savings is huge; increasing efficiency and allowing us to focus efforts elsewhere on the property. The accounts range anywhere from 1-6 acres; we use 2 Reel Master Sidewinders for the larger areas.

These units will last us through the year and into next year and then we will asses the cost/benefit of the commercial model; if it makes better sense than the residential. The parts are easy to replace if broken or worn out. Fold up handle is a great thing too. Keystart is nice; but also very easy to pull start.

There are things that we don't like; but I will address those in an inspection and modification thread. I did add lift to the blades though.

When I bought the first unit the Dealer told me that if I didn't like it he would take it back. Nice. We used it one day and decided to get 3 more. He gave me a great deal getting the key start models for less than the pull start model. I think over the years I have put his kids through Medical School. lol.

In my opinion it is a good alternative to the 21" walk mower as long as it doesn't get beat up. I think people think that since a machine says Commercial on it that means it's okay to abuse it. IMHO. Also, I profit share with my employees so the less broken equipment helps everybody in the long run.

As for the Commercial model and the professional LCO--whatever manufacturer (Honda, Toro, etc.) can get this style/type machine out and on the market first; will make a killing. It will be a license to print money.

p.s. don't give me any flak for punctuation, spelling, etc., I have only had one cup of coffee.
I'm trying to figure out why you are making a second pass of a reel mower with a rotary. If you are leaving stragglers the reel is not set up properly. If you are leaving clumps your not set up properly and/or taking off too much at a time.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:21 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
I'm trying to figure out why you are making a second pass of a reel mower with a rotary. If you are leaving stragglers the reel is not set up properly. If you are leaving clumps your not set up properly and/or taking off too much at a time.
I wondered about that too, but thought it had to do with mowing in the rainy seattle weather.

2013 Exmark Pioneer S 60" Ultracut (Review with pics) http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=410996

2010 Badboy Outlaw 6100 31 KAWI

2008 Exmark Lazer Z AS 60" U/C 28 Kawi

2000 Exmark Lazer Z 60" L/C Kawi 4100 + hrs strong
Old 07-10-2012, 06:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Rainy Seattle weather; adapt or starve.lol cutting wet with a reel you get some clumping and a stray here and there. Timemaster mulches the clumps and cleans up. We don't use grass baskets on the reels; too wet and too much grass, hence the clumps.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-10-2012, 06:51 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutsedge View Post
The Honda's with the Nexite deck do not need to be scraped. It's very slick and has an almost Teflon like anti-stick property to it.

Now the controls, I really have no defense for that except that when you have throttle/mower speed, blade brake and propulsion engagement on one handle bar, it would be impossible IMO to make it any easier to use.
Are you referring to the Toro Personal Pace system here, or are you describing the Honda setup?
Old 07-10-2012, 08:16 PM
LawnSite Member

To get more lift on my blades I added about 1/4" more bend on the outboard trailing edge fin. Vice and a big Crescent wrench for the bending. I tried a 1/2" of bend I got blowout so I went back to a 1/4". I was worried about twisting the blade fearing a height of cut discrepency betwenn the same blade as well as the other blade.

Last edited by stansoph; 07-10-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:10 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stansoph View Post
To get more lift on my blades I added about 1/4" more bend on the outboard trailing edge fin. Vice and a big Crescent wrench for the bending. I tried a 1/2" of bend I got blowout so I went back to a 1/4". I was worried about twisting the blade fearing a height of cut discrepency betwenn the same blade as well as the other blade.
When you say "blowout" what do you mean exactly??