Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-13-2012, 07:41 PM
LawnSite Member

New lawn progress and questions.

Itís been about 3-4 weeks since the seed and straw mats went down and we got a fairly decent amount of germination going, but I'm not sure what to do. The lady at the place we got the straw and compost said that sheís always been told to remove the mats after the grass gets going. Another guy that works there said he's been told to leave them. My dad says I should pull them up at least the top lair of the green netting (itís got one on each side with the straw in-between. I'm wondering the pros think and maybe it depends on how its going so far. I've noticed the areas where there is less of a concentration of straw I have more grass and the areas where there seems to be clumps of straw less grass. My main concern is when I planted an area on the side of the house a couple years back and removed the mat(it was a wood curl mat) the grass died after about a week, but that summer was horrendously hotter then normal, I had planted pretty late, and the grass wasn't even 2 inches tall. There are a few spots now if I step down I can feel the grass under it. Also I guess my final question is the watering situation. So far Iíve made sure its gotten rain or water every day. At its current progress what do you recommend for watering; continue daily water or weekly watering.

Thanks all.
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2012, 10:55 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Definately lift up the green nylon netting at the surface, before it tears up the grass, when it is removed... we had that in a lawnmower one time, becuz who ever laid it never took responsibility to clean it up...
can you even remove the straw mat w/out disturbing the grasslings???
Old 05-14-2012, 02:29 PM
LawnSite Member

I should be able to but I'll test a couple areas to be sure. So I take it I should remove both the top and bottom layer of netting and just put the staw back and water it in a bit, or has the sraw served its pourpose. I could always bag it up and compost it, or spread it out when it comes time for the first mow and just mulch it in. I'm hopeing to mow in the next couple weeks.

Thanks
Old 05-15-2012, 10:24 AM
LawnSite Member

Apologies for the self-bump but I thought of another question, should I wait to mow when the grass is taller than my neighborís yard. And should I buy a reel mower? Looks like I can get one for about 140$ Iíve seen a few places that they are better for the lawn with how they cut, and hey I can use the exercise.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:28 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

A reel mower isn't really necessary for taller cool season grasses. A normal rotary mower will do just fine.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:06 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Has the netting come up w/out disturbing your grass???
Old 05-16-2012, 09:55 AM
LawnSite Member

The couple areas I tried the grass pulled straight out without grabing and there was no grass leaves left in the mat, unfortunatly the mats woven to the point it all has to come out and I wont be able to just lift off the netting in stages. I'll probobly pull the front and sides tonight and the back tomarrow if I run out of time. I have a 5gal batch of compost tea brewing to put down shortly after.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:35 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

If it wasn't for the nylon netting it could just be left to decay down... a good shot of CT is a useful start...
Old 05-17-2012, 09:41 AM
LawnSite Member

Yea this will be my second batch, my first one went down right when I started seeing the grass peeking through the straw. I'm planning on weekly or bi-weekly application. Need to do some further research but the 6 week results from that harvard vid was quite impressive.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:26 AM
LawnSite Member

What is CT?