Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 09-07-2013, 11:00 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

To those who gross over a million...

Are you still out in the field everyday? Like actually mowing, and maintenance?

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 09-07-2013, 12:20 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I don't gross over a million. In fact, I gross less than half of that. But I can tell you that I spend maybe thirty percent or less of my time in the field. I fill in occasionally on a zero if we're running behind on the weekly mowing schedule. I spend some time on install jobs - plants or hardscape - making sure it's going according to plan and occasionally I'll have a shovel in hand. If I spent more than a third of my time in the field, I'm losing money, designs don't get completed and I'll lose install job opportunities. My job is making sure we're a successful, profitable business. I can hire and teach someone else to run a mower or plant a shrub. I learned long ago that my strength is sales and organization and that it's in my best interest and my employees best interest that I'm not in the field.

So, my guess is, if you're an owner whose company is grossing over a million, you can't spend any time in the field. Your day would be consumed with making your operation run as smoothly as possible in every facet.
Old 09-07-2013, 01:14 PM
LawnSite Member

I run a commercial landscape maintenance & snow service company grossing over $1million in sales. I got out of the field around the $600,000 mark. In order to get out of the field at any point you have to hire the best people, give them very precise job descriptions, deliverables and hold them accountable. Then get out of their way and let them do their job. They may not always do things the way you would and they will make mistakes. You have to be willing to let go and that is hard to do for any business owner. Getting out of the field is attainable but it takes hard work, a great team and a lot of trust to get there. Good luck!
Old 09-07-2013, 03:03 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

We do not gross over a million but I can say we are at a point the biggest thing stopping from getting there is me being in the field. I know that and it's hard and slow transition but it's happening and we should be on our way there.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:14 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Haven't been on a mower since july 3rd and less then half the sales mentioned. Still spray my hoa's and do basic irrigation calls. Any digging I call a tech in. Finding honest hard working people is hard. Add one bad one to the crew and production goes way down.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:59 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

No owner grossing over a million should be commited to working in the field everyday. Occasionaly or as a form of exercise is ok, but the boss has to step back and oversee the whole operation. I post pictures of me workin with my guys fixing mainlines and mowing, should i be out there? I feel i should occasionaly, really helps keep quality and production at a good level. But i have office staff, supervisors and an operations manager to take care of a lot of things. I feel its more of a hobby to me when im out there with my guys. My employees really like the fact that i am willing to work side by side with them an we discuss work. I like to get feedback from employees as to what works and what doesnt work, it lets me make changes and possibly speed up production.
But an owner should still stay on top of the whole operation, its a lot of responsibility once you get that big. You cant afford to fail, there are a lot of people that you provide jobs for that are counting on you.
Old 09-11-2013, 07:23 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks for the responses. I guess mine may be different than some. We have three partners in the company. I need to reevaluate then because I am forced on a truck currently. Were on pace for 1.3 this year. Its ben just ridiculously tough to find crew leaders..

Always a lesson, never a failure.

www.meangreenlawncare.com
Old 09-11-2013, 07:48 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Working in the office sucks, but is necessary.

I am in the winter, every single snowfall or potential snowfall.

Summer, not so much.

I like my guns like Obama likes his voters: Undocumented

Criminals obey gun laws like politicians follow their oaths of office
Old 09-11-2013, 08:14 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

See, the problem you have is far bigger than my puny head can envelop.
Old 09-11-2013, 12:14 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNSLighting View Post
Thanks for the responses. I guess mine may be different than some. We have three partners in the company. I need to reevaluate then because I am forced on a truck currently. Were on pace for 1.3 this year. Its ben just ridiculously tough to find crew leaders..
How much of the company do you own? And do your partners go out in the field also?
Posted via Mobile Device