Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 07:37 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't smoke or dip, and I don't have a problem with it. I have one guy that smokes and he will only smoke outside of the truck. My only rule is, I better not ever find a butt on a lawn.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:26 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardguy28 View Post
my ONLY concern IS the client when I'm working.

how is it a waste of money. last time I checked smoke breaks where off the clock so it's not like the company is paying them to walk 300+ yards to go smoke.
Here's your answer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver_GA View Post
Because smokers typically take a whole lot more "breaks" than a normal non-smoker does. I see it all the time at the office I work in. The smokers leave to take a smoke break about once every couple hours. Even if it's unpaid, it's still a loss of productivity because they have to stop what they're doing to go smoke. Whether consciously or subconsciously, their mind is focused on that next smoke break and they aren't as productive.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:13 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Smoke if you want to but when I end up (in the near future) having employees and I ever find an employee smoking while working a lawn it will be their last lawn. Now I'm not saying in the truck waiting for the other employees to finish the lawn. I'm not saying outside of the truck waiting for other employees because he's finished either so don't go there on me.

As was said before: Isn't it great being your own boss. For me smoking is unprofessional when on a property. I won't discriminate against a smoker if he wants to work but it's professional vs unprofessional, nothing more. You don't see cement truck drivers with a cig hangin. Honestly you don't see many construction workers... while on the roof or hammering away.
48" TTHP
2 44" Toro WB's
Shindaiwa weed eaters
Stihl Backpack Blowers
Stihl and Husqvarna Chainsaws
Old 05-16-2012, 02:05 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I smoke off an on and used to dip. I don't see a problem dipping/chewing while working. Not gonna be running my z wit a cig tho. Usually just do it in between lawns. There is an ash tray for butts I use it. I will say some of my clients smoke most prpblay don't know I do. If they do whats the big deal as long as it dosent mess with the work I do they are happy.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:11 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

This goes in the same vane as concealed carry. I don't have a big sign that says this guys packing. I just am some know some don't either way its a nonissue. They pay me to maintain the landscape. I do they are happy end of story. Whats in my mouth or lungs or tucked in my belt has no bearing on anything else.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSmith View Post
Must not be Catholic!
you mean Baptist...Catholics are encouraged to drink
2 Sears electric weedeaters
1 green machine electric leaf blower
1 sears articulating hedge trimmer-electric
2 50ft power cords
3 Leaf rakes
1 shovel
1 pocket knife
cooler for beer
lawn chair to enjoy a beer while I wait for the cash to be handed to me
Old 05-16-2012, 04:35 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgyver_GA View Post
Because smokers typically take a whole lot more "breaks" than a normal non-smoker does. I see it all the time at the office I work in. The smokers leave to take a smoke break about once every couple hours. Even if it's unpaid, it's still a loss of productivity because they have to stop what they're doing to go smoke.
Years ago, I worked for a well-known company of 40,000 employees and used to take breaks every time my group's smokers took their multiple, daily smoke breaks. I received a warning for doing so, which thoroughly amused me as the smoke time was neither accounted for, nor made up. My role with the company was web development, and I had built the company's internal time-reporting web site, and on my last day, I added in time codes for smoke breaks that equated to vacation time. I wish I would have kept the frantic voice mails and emails I received when people started noticing...
Old 05-16-2012, 04:40 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonygreek View Post
Years ago, I worked for a well-known company of 40,000 employees and used to take breaks every time my group's smokers took their multiple, daily smoke breaks. I received a warning for doing so, which thoroughly amused me as the smoke time was neither accounted for, nor made up. My role with the company was web development, and I had built the company's internal time-reporting web site, and on my last day, I added in time codes for smoke breaks that equated to vacation time. I wish I would have kept the frantic voice mails and emails I received when people started noticing...
Nice

We have a guy on our team (works out another office) and last time he was here for training he would run outside to smoke every time our training facilitator gave us a restroom break. Not to mention he drinks Red Bull like it's water. He's a ticking time bomb...
Old 05-16-2012, 07:27 PM
LawnSite Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestImpressions99 View Post
Smoke if you want to but when I end up (in the near future) having employees and I ever find an employee smoking while working a lawn it will be their last lawn. Now I'm not saying in the truck waiting for the other employees to finish the lawn. I'm not saying outside of the truck waiting for other employees because he's finished either so don't go there on me.

As was said before: Isn't it great being your own boss. For me smoking is unprofessional when on a property. I won't discriminate against a smoker if he wants to work but it's professional vs unprofessional, nothing more. You don't see cement truck drivers with a cig hangin. Honestly you don't see many construction workers... while on the roof or hammering away.
actually I see quite a few. guys smoking while operating the cement truck, bulldozer, backhoe, etc. guys nailing a roof with a cig hanging from there mouth. auto mechanics puffing away while working on your vehicle.
Old 11-18-2012, 09:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

nobody gives a crap down here about dipping. its so common that it doesnt matter. id say 65 percent of my friends from high school dip. that being said, i couldnt go all day with out one, especially while mowing. being on that mower or tractor just makes you wanna throw a fatty in.
Closed Thread