Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather
Closed Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Health care will later be an issue, as workers get older, they will have more health issues and miss work..
My sister used to work in an office and once per hour half the office would go downstairs to take a smoke break... it amounted to about an hour or so over the day... initially she would read a book while everyone was outside, later she would leave work an hour earlier each day.... her boss questioned her and she asked him why she couldn't work the same time as the smokers
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-18-2012, 10:11 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I didn't care what the customers said or thought either, it's that the nicotine interferes with the mind and soul and thus it clouds my better judgment, nicotine is a drug and smokers and chewers are under its influence, and we can't feel it but it doesn't help make clear minded decisions.

That was one of the main reasons why I quit just over two years ago.

Best thing I ever did.
Even better than quitting is don't start.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:57 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BestImpressions99 View Post
If he's the owner or supervisor and doesn't leave his truck then I would say it's ok. Would I let guys use dip on the job? No, but that's just me, I think it's unprofessional. Anyway, as long as he takes out the dip when dealing face to face with a customer... it's his mouth.
Can they chew gum talking to a customer?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yard Dog View Post
Unless yall are in the truck with the guys, they are going to chew, if they chew. Count on it. You can have whatever policy you want, it is not that hard to hide.

Also, who cares, even if the homeowner is home and peeping through the blinds chances of them being able to see if your guy has a chaw in is slim and chances that they care is just as slim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackvbra View Post
nobody gives a crap down here about dipping. its so common that it doesnt matter. id say 65 percent of my friends from high school dip. that being said, i couldnt go all day with out one, especially while mowing. being on that mower or tractor just makes you wanna throw a fatty in.
I dip more while i am working.
Old 08-10-2014, 08:58 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

I wanted to bring this thread back because I just got fired from a good customer because she seen me spit on her lawn. We got into a big argument. I bet her $100 to find where exactly I spit. Come on, lady, were in south ga! Hello!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-10-2014, 10:06 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
I wanted to bring this thread back because I just got fired from a good customer because she seen me spit on her lawn. We got into a big argument. I bet her $100 to find where exactly I spit. Come on, lady, were in south ga! Hello!
Posted via Mobile Device
I persoanlly have never smoked or chewed and I never will, but thats just me, we all have our things in life we need to make it through the day, mine is drinking pepsi haha, I need the caffeine I guess to get through the work days, but anyways I let my guys chew and smoke cigarettes at the job sites because really it's not that big of a deal to me, as long as the guys keep it clean which they do most of all the time. If a customer would have a problem I will tell them not to so it on there property if that was the case.
Old 08-10-2014, 10:07 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend cut easymoney View Post
Health care will later be an issue, as workers get older, they will have more health issues and miss work..
My sister used to work in an office and once per hour half the office would go downstairs to take a smoke break... it amounted to about an hour or so over the day... initially she would read a book while everyone was outside, later she would leave work an hour earlier each day.... her boss questioned her and she asked him why she couldn't work the same time as the smokers
Posted via Mobile Device
What was that boss's answer?
Old 08-10-2014, 11:30 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by herler View Post
I didn't care what the customers said or thought either, it's that the nicotine interferes with the mind and soul and thus it clouds my better judgment, nicotine is a drug and smokers and chewers are under its influence, and we can't feel it but it doesn't help make clear minded decisions.

That was one of the main reasons why I quit just over two years ago.

Best thing I ever did.
Even better than quitting is don't start.
I would love to see the study that concludes nicotine clouds the mind PMSL!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-11-2014, 01:09 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device
Instead of challenging her to find your nasty spit, you should have apologized.

Period.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:51 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xstatikplus View Post
I would love to see the study that concludes nicotine clouds the mind PMSL!
Posted via Mobile Device
Nicotine is a mind-altering drug.

Drug Facts
DRUG is any substance other than food that can affect the way your mind and body work.
Certain drugs called mind-altering drugs can change the way a person thinks, feels, and acts.

Drugs that speed a person up are called STIMULANTS.
Drugs that slow a person down are called DEPRESSANTS.
Drugs that change the ways a person sees, feels, and hears are called HALLUCINOGENS.

Mind-altering drugs that are abused by some young people are:
NICOTINE, a highly addictive (habit-forming) substance found in cigarettes.
Nicotine is a STIMULANT which increases the heart rate, causes the blood vessels to narrow, and makes the heart work harder.
Chewing tobacco also contains nicotine. It makes teeth loosen and causes gum disease, white patches in the mouth, and tooth decay.

Smoking tobacco, chewing tobacco, and snuff not only give you bad breath, smelly hands, and stained teeth, but can also cause cancer, heart disease, and death. In fact, cigarette smoking is the most preventable cause of death in the United States. The number of people who die each day from the effects of smoking is the same as if two full jumbo jets were to crash every day.

Even breathing in someone else's smoke can be dangerous to your health.
This is called PASSIVE smoke.
Passive smoke pollutes the air.

http://www.mansfieldma.com/html/drug_facts.html

Nicotine is a potent parasympathomimetic alkaloid found in the nightshade family of plants (Solanaceae) and a stimulant drug. It is a nicotinic acetylcholine receptor agonist. It is made in the roots of and accumulates in the leaves of these plants. It constitutes approximately 0.6–3.0% of the dry weight of tobacco and is present in the range of 2–7 Ķg/kg of various edible plants. It functions as an antiherbivore chemical; consequently, nicotine was widely used as an insecticide in the past and nicotine analogs such as imidacloprid are currently widely used.

In lesser doses (an average cigarette yields about 1 mg of absorbed nicotine), the substance acts as a stimulant in mammals, while high amounts (50–100 mg) can be harmful. This stimulant effect is likely to be a major contributing factor to the dependence-forming properties of tobacco smoking. The nicotine content of popular American-brand cigarettes has slowly increased over the years, and one study found that there was an average increase of 1.78% per year between the years of 1998 and 2005.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicotine

Smoking Cigarettes Affects Brain Like Heroin
Heroin, Morphine, Nicotine Affect 'Feel-Good' Brain Chemicals in Similar Way
By Jeanie Lerche Davis
WebMD Health News
WebMD News Archive
Oct. 27, 2004 -- Just like heroin and morphine, smoking cigarettes triggers the release of addictive "feel-good" brain chemicals, new research shows.

The finding helps researchers understand why smokers have such a tough time quitting despite all the health dangers. They presented their report at the annual meeting of the Society for Neuroscience, held this week in San Diego.

It's the first human study to show that smoking cigarettes stimulates the brain's production of chemicals called opioids. The opioids are known to play a role in soothing pain, increasing positive emotions, and creating a sense of reward. Both morphine and heroin trigger this same chemical flow.

The new study also confirms previous findings -- from animal studies -- that smoking cigarettes affects the flow of another feel-good brain chemical called dopamine. Researchers are now investigating the interaction between the two chemicals in the brains of smokers and nonsmokers.

"It appears that smokers have an altered opioid flow all the time, when compared with non-smokers, and that smoking a cigarette further alters that flow by 20 to 30 percent in regions of the brain important to emotions and craving," says lead researcher David J. Scott, a graduate student in neuroscience at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor, in a news release.

http://www.webmd.com/smoking-cessati...in-like-heroin

I have more...
Tons more, tons and tons and tons and tons more.
Even scripture talking about the harmful effects of tobacco.
Just ask, I can fill page after page with information like the above.

Last edited by herler; 08-11-2014 at 02:01 AM.
Old 08-11-2014, 08:55 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

The only decision I see in that that is altered from smoking is to not quit due to the addictive qualities of nicotine.show me a study where a subject makes a decision differently because they just had a smoke. Not to knock your choices but the way you put it was you couldn't think clearly because you smoked. I know I'll get some negative feed back on this statement but.... Religion will alter more decisions then smoking by far
Posted via Mobile Device
Closed Thread