Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2014, 10:56 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

When I was a kid, The reason most guys went into "Landscaping" was because it was the only place they could get away with smoking pot.

Fairfield county CT landscaper scene was chock full of long hair mullet/pony tail, scraggy beard losers with wife beaters and shorts.
It was the simplest and by far easiest market to compete in, how hard it is to do better work, faster than these guys?
I didn't even have to dress up to look better, I just wore T-shirts and Jeans.

You really don't see Pot smoking hippies in that business in Fairfield County anymore.
But at one time this is what the "lawn boy" looked like.

Chewing tobacco? Seriously?

Isn't there some dairy farm you guys should be working at?

Spitting on peoples property? Geez.
Are these all the same guys that are always complaining about people taking their work, and low ballers?
I don't think you're losing jobs to low ballers, you are simply losing jobs to people who aren't complete cretins.

People who do this have a foul, nasty, disgusting habit.
Do you go on people properties and pick your butt?

There is no where you should or could go where this throughly unacceptable behavior is welcome.

Competing with pot smokers was like taking candy from a baby, I didn't even advertise, I didn't need to… people saw me working and ran across the street, or stopped their cars passing my jobs.
This is the same kind of ease it is to take work away from tobacco spitters.
do that once on anyones property and you're gone, because there are ten other guys who do just as good or better work who won't do that.

People WALK on their lawn, they LAY IN their lawn, that's why they PAY to have it maintained in the first place.

If they didn't care what you did in/to their lawn, you wouldn't BE getting paid in the first place.

I find it interesting how people think if they go into business for themselves that they don't have a boss.
That's dumb,
you just traded 1 boss for 75 bosses.
There person handing you the money is the BOSS.

'Well I can do whatever I want in my own business' true, do you call sitting at home, insisting you're right, waiting for the phone to ring, a business?
Old 08-11-2014, 11:19 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
Instead of challenging her to find your nasty spit, you should have apologized.

Period.
It's like having the temperament of an ego-fueled, you're just lucky to have me, rock star. Except, in this case, the rock star is replaceable by an infinite number of candidates.
Old 08-11-2014, 11:23 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackvbra View Post
I wanted to bring this thread back because I just got fired from a good customer because she seen me spit on her lawn. We got into a big argument. I bet her $100 to find where exactly I spit. Come on, lady, were in south ga! Hello!
Posted via Mobile Device
It's sad that the notion of The Southern Gentleman has been usurped by "Come on, Lady. I'm spittin' chew on your lawn because The South! Hello!".

Well done.
Old 08-12-2014, 06:31 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
Instead of challenging her to find your nasty spit, you should have apologized.

Period.
Apologize for spitting in the grass?

Lol. Come on man.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-12-2014, 06:35 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPendagast View Post
When I was a kid, The reason most guys went into "Landscaping" was because it was the only place they could get away with smoking pot.

Fairfield county CT landscaper scene was chock full of long hair mullet/pony tail, scraggy beard losers with wife beaters and shorts.
It was the simplest and by far easiest market to compete in, how hard it is to do better work, faster than these guys?
I didn't even have to dress up to look better, I just wore T-shirts and Jeans.

You really don't see Pot smoking hippies in that business in Fairfield County anymore.
But at one time this is what the "lawn boy" looked like.

Chewing tobacco? Seriously?

Isn't there some dairy farm you guys should be working at?

Spitting on peoples property? Geez.
Are these all the same guys that are always complaining about people taking their work, and low ballers?
I don't think you're losing jobs to low ballers, you are simply losing jobs to people who aren't complete cretins.

People who do this have a foul, nasty, disgusting habit.
Do you go on people properties and pick your butt?

There is no where you should or could go where this throughly unacceptable behavior is welcome.

Competing with pot smokers was like taking candy from a baby, I didn't even advertise, I didn't need to… people saw me working and ran across the street, or stopped their cars passing my jobs.
This is the same kind of ease it is to take work away from tobacco spitters.
do that once on anyones property and you're gone, because there are ten other guys who do just as good or better work who won't do that.

People WALK on their lawn, they LAY IN their lawn, that's why they PAY to have it maintained in the first place.

If they didn't care what you did in/to their lawn, you wouldn't BE getting paid in the first place.

I find it interesting how people think if they go into business for themselves that they don't have a boss.
That's dumb,
you just traded 1 boss for 75 bosses.
There person handing you the money is the BOSS.

'Well I can do whatever I want in my own business' true, do you call sitting at home, insisting you're right, waiting for the phone to ring, a business?
I've never seen anyone laying in their lawn.

It amazes me how uptight people are now days.

The lawn is dirt, bugs, dog ****, bird ****, etc....

What's wrong with spitting on it?!?!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-12-2014, 06:39 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnsharkMB View Post
I've never seen anyone laying in their lawn.

It amazes me how uptight people are now days.

The lawn is dirt, bugs, dog ****, bird ****, etc....

What's wrong with spitting on it?!?!
Posted via Mobile Device
It's disrespectful. I dip and I keep a spit cup with me. I would never dream of spitting in somebody's yard. If it's a common area, maybe. Never on somebody's yard though.

“I’ve noticed that everyone who is for abortion has already been born.” – Ronald Reagan

"Treat employees like they make a difference and they will." - Jim Goodnight

Old 08-13-2014, 08:32 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I chat with all my customers and spit right in front of them.

F-150
14' landscape trailer
52'' Wright Stander
21'' Personal Pace
Stihl handhelds
Old 08-13-2014, 10:32 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

Look. Fact is, if I'm mowing, I'm dipping. Period. I ain't gonna have someone telling me I can't spit. I sure ain't going to swallow it. This is the first time I have ever gotten called out about dipping by a customer. My customers don't care. Even the high end ones on the golf course. A lot of my customers dip themselves. Everybody does it in this neck of the woods. Of course I always be careful to spit on the grass and not the driveway. Besides, I don't even spit that much, I hold it for 3 or 4 minutes before I spit, the way I've always done. It's not unprofessional in the least bit, to me. But
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-13-2014, 10:57 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreativeLawncareSolutions View Post
I chat with all my customers and spit right in front of them.
It aint like were "Brain Sergions"
Old 08-14-2014, 01:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Must be a southern thing....I honestly don't know anyone who uses chewing tobacco only smokers. IMO spitting in general is a nasty habit and there are places where you just do not spit. Let's face it there is a thread "I was taking a quick wiz when" or something like that, so you could do worse then spit. I personally don't wiz on clients property nor do I spit on them. Unprofessional tho to spit? Let me ask all of you this.... Even if every landscaper on earth acted prim and proper. Dressed clean and always polite. Do you guys really think some CEO of a larger business whom you do work for will really think you are on their level? Even if you pull in more annual take home income then them they will still look down on you as "just a landscaper" I say do what you do. If your clients do not show negative feelings towards it, so be it. When did everyone become such puss bags to say oh that's unprofessional? Or that is? You guys need to get a grip on reality if you feel that most people give a flying phuck what their lanscaper does on their yard. I've been doing this for 20 years and aside from the initial face to face ( them asking for a quote) I haven't even seen about 70% of my clients and I'd even go as far to say that about the same percentage don't even set foot on their yard. They just drive in their garage, auto shut door then stay inside until they are driving off again. Would I spit all over someone's yard? No would I piss in a yard? No. Do I think these activities are inappropriate? Yes. Unprofessional? Yes. But at the end of the day kids, I am "just a landscaper" in most peoples eyes. Just do quality work get your money and quit being a puss about it! If no one says boo about what you do, have at it. If someone makes a stink about you spitting because you chew or because you're smoking on their yard. Apologize and don't do it again out of respect. End of the day, that is the professional way to handle it no?

On a side note for smoking in the truck.... Here in Toronto the rules have become so strict you can't even smoke in a commercial vehicle while working! So just say you ran a solo OP in your own truck, by yourself and working you can get a ticket for smoking in your truck! Phucked up no? You guys keep that in your mind while you fight for your "right" to spit on someone else's yard
Posted via Mobile Device
Closed Thread