Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-14-2012, 03:07 PM
LawnSite Member

Ferris Belt Drive Transmission Issue

I have read through a few dozen pages of threads on transmissions and can't seem to find anyone with the exact problem I'm having. First off I have an older Ferris 48" walk behind, just purchased two weeks ago. It seemed kind of slow even in 5th gear, but I thought maybe I'm just used to a hydro drive, and a belt drive is slower. Anyway, I was mowing my lawn last week and when I was nearly complete the left output shaft from the transmission would seem to lock up. When I tried to turn to the right it was very slow sometimes and sometimes it would do nothing. In a straight line it would want to pull to the left, if I was on a hill and the left wheel was lower than the right. When the right wheel was lower than the left it worked fine. On level ground it's about 50%. If the trans is bad is I would think it would be the same no matter the terrain. It has an older style transmission with fine splines, so an aftermarket trany has been difficult to find. I'm a Sten's dealer so my thinking is if it is the trans that needs replaced I may retro fit a newer 9 spline to it. Thanks for the help.

Adam