Register free!
Search

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Click for Weather

Old 05-13-2012, 07:42 PM
LawnSite Member

I need some help figuring out this tachometer

I bought the ez tach plus tachometer from napa to test my rpms on my 35hp Briggs Vanguard Engine. When I bought my Scag the deck was uneven I had to adjust that, the choke would not work, had to fix that, the engine has really felt underpowered so I figured that might be off too. I have heard people talk about how much power the engine has and how far grass was being thrown out(some say 6 to 12 feet) I have not experienced any of that and the ground speed seems slow.

Anyway the tachometer has several settings, some for two stoke engines and some for 4 stroke engines. I had my dad helping me because he knows a lot about engines etc. He tends to think that the tach setting should be on 2:1 which means a two stroke engine and one cylinder. Well i strongly disagree because the engine is a four stroke with two cylinders. According to the Briggs website the rpm speed is supposed to be running at 3600. I tried the 4:2 setting and the rpms were registering at 1800....can they really be that off from the factory? I adjusted it to a little over 2000 rpms and can tell a huge difference in mower performance.

I am really confused, I know this mower is a beast and I want the max performance! My dad tried it on what he thought it should be (the 2:1) setting and it registered over 3800 rpms and told me it needed to be brought down. So we are split on how it should be. Can someone help?
Old 05-13-2012, 08:52 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

He's correct on the setting but not quite for the reason. It should be 2 sparks per 1 revolution since it is a 2 cylinder engine.

I'd just get one of these and leave it mounted. You'll also be able to keep up with hours on the engine for maintenance purposes.

tinytach

Last edited by hdtvluvr; 05-13-2012 at 08:57 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:48 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdtvluvr View Post
He's correct on the setting but not quite for the reason. It should be 2 sparks per 1 revolution since it is a 2 cylinder engine.

I'd just get one of these and leave it mounted. You'll also be able to keep up with hours on the engine for maintenance purposes.

tinytach
This is correct. No need to spend more money. He already has the right tool just thought his dad was wrong. Typical of our younger generation.
Try to listen to what your dad says next time.

As for the RPM. You had it at 1800 and raised it 200 rpm. The engine should be around 3600 rpm. When your dad tried it and it came up at 3800, you were already at the right RPM to start.