Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-14-2012, 05:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Commercial Accounts

What's everyone's game plan when trying to land commercial accounts? Do you bid it out as low as you can go, or do you keep things moderately high because they are a business? What month do you approach the company, and how? Just looking for everyone's feedback on this topic!

Thanks,

Matt
Old 05-14-2012, 06:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I wait for them to come to me. Then I try to bid it completely blind. I don't like to know the other companies bid because it makes me try to be competitive with there price. I like to break down my own bid and know exactly what I have to charge.
I just signed a commercial customer today. He told me the prices of a few bigger companies weren't much higher then mine. One even told him he could work on the price if someone bids lower. The customer told me " Why would he work on the price?... because he was bidding to high in the first place and taking advantage of us..."

Commercials in my area know that a cheaper price means a cheaper quality.
Old 05-14-2012, 08:08 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

I just bid them as if they were any other property. I determine what work they want done, the level of difficulty and amount of estimated time per service, and submit a bid. If I get it, good. If not...well there are always others.
Greensboro NC
Old 05-14-2012, 08:14 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenf View Post
I wait for them to come to me. Then I try to bid it completely blind. I don't like to know the other companies bid because it makes me try to be competitive with there price. I like to break down my own bid and know exactly what I have to charge.
I just signed a commercial customer today. He told me the prices of a few bigger companies weren't much higher then mine. One even told him he could work on the price if someone bids lower. The customer told me " Why would he work on the price?... because he was bidding to high in the first place and taking advantage of us..."

Commercials in my area know that a cheaper price means a cheaper quality.
If you do not mind me asking, how much do you/others bid for Clean Up, tree Trimming, Etc at an hourly rate. People around this part of Idaho seem to stick to around $45 an hour, so I underbid them at $27 per hour. At that price Im still able to do a great job, and be comfortable with my wages.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:09 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattslawns View Post
If you do not mind me asking, how much do you/others bid for Clean Up, tree Trimming, Etc at an hourly rate. People around this part of Idaho seem to stick to around $45 an hour, so I underbid them at $27 per hour. At that price Im still able to do a great job, and be comfortable with my wages.
hey matt,
I am assuming solo?

you simply cannot make money at $27 an hour,
as a legit business, in this country doing landscape work
any landscape work,
any state
sorry,
cannot be done

unless you are willing to work for less than minimum wage,
Old 05-14-2012, 09:12 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

there's your sign.
Old 05-14-2012, 09:36 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TJLANDS View Post
hey matt,
I am assuming solo?

you simply cannot make money at $27 an hour,
as a legit business, in this country doing landscape work
any landscape work,
any state
sorry,
cannot be done

unless you are willing to work for less than minimum wage,
The reason that I ask is that I have actually had a few of my clients complain about $27 per hour. Saying that "they only pay their general contractor $20 per hour". Do not get me wrong, I would love to charge $40+ per hour and make more profit, but it seems that the market is too cheap, and Im definitely not loosing money at $27. And the majority of my work is solo, but i hire help when needed. i am only 19 and have been somewhat in the business for five years now. Im just exploring new virtues
Old 05-14-2012, 10:04 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

What is your operating expense per hour?
Stay focused and leave distractions for those who will fail in their ventures
Old 05-14-2012, 11:29 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattslawns View Post
The reason that I ask is that I have actually had a few of my clients complain about $27 per hour. Saying that "they only pay their general contractor $20 per hour". Do not get me wrong, I would love to charge $40+ per hour and make more profit, but it seems that the market is too cheap, and Im definitely not loosing money at $27. And the majority of my work is solo, but i hire help when needed. i am only 19 and have been somewhat in the business for five years now. Im just exploring new virtues
They are just playing you
Old 05-15-2012, 03:36 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puddle of Oil View Post
What is your operating expense per hour?
Operating expense if I am working solo just depends on the job. if it's a clean up job its right around $10-$15. If I have to use machines or stuff like that, then obviously its going to be higher. But yes, it seems as though they are playing me. Here in Boise, even the rich community is pinching their pennies.

Tags
bids , commercial account , quotes