Register free!
Search
 
     

The Green Industry's Resource Center


Click for Weather
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 05-15-2012, 08:42 PM
Get Some...'s Avatar
Get Some... Get Some... is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Kansas
Posts: 651
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
I would of ran the mower in the opposite direction and left my own stripes with the regular bill.
Posted via Mobile Device


__________________


Self employed for over 35 years..
  #22  
Old 05-15-2012, 08:52 PM
Landscape Poet's Avatar
Landscape Poet Landscape Poet is offline
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Oviedo/Orlando
Posts: 3,453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot Services View Post
I would of ran the mower in the opposite direction and left my own stripes with the regular bill.
Posted via Mobile Device
Good suggestion but then you charge more because you are giving them them checkerboard stripes
__________________
"the art of survival is a story that never ends"

Providing Lawn Services, Landscape Installations and Solutions and Sod Services in the Oviedo Florida Market

If you aspire to a six-figure income, don't get advice from someone making $18,000 a year!
  #23  
Old 05-16-2012, 12:50 AM
OakNut's Avatar
OakNut OakNut is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Posts: 2,324
Heh. Get this one.
I picked up a client last season. He's a biweekly, but it's OK because his lawn really doesn't grow much.
At the beginning of this season, I took a drive by and noted that it wasn't quite ready for the first cut. A few days later he called...

CLIENT:
"Hey, thanks for cutting the lawn - it didn't really need it yet, but that's OK - I put your check out, but I see it's still here."

ME:
I didn't cut it.

CLIENT:
I thought that was odd that you'd cut it without calling, or leaving a bill after you cut... well, who the fnck cut it then?!!

ME:
You got me. I didn't think you'd want it cut yet, so I was going to call next week.

CLIENT:
Sonofabeotch... who the "bleep" cut my grass?!!! You know you're my man and I wouldn't hire someone else... what the... I'm gonna get to the bottom of this, but I want you to cut it in two weeks.





About two weeks later client calls
...



CLIENT:
Those motherfnckers cut it AGAIN! I don't know who did it - no bill, or anything. I think they are supposed to be cutting the empty house next door!

ME:
You need to put up a sign that says "DO NOT CUT THE GRASS!"

CLIENT:
I apologize... I don't want you to be shorted - just come over next week and cut it even if it doesn't need it.

ME:
No problem, see you then!



The following week
...


(OakNut drives up to client's house - AGAIN)



WTF???!!!

The whole lawn is DESTROYED! Fence broken, trees sheared off, tire tracks gouged into the lawn, car parts everywhere, half a windshield lying there... holy CRAP!

Apparently a drunk plowed through, flipping the car onto it's roof in the middle of his front lawn a day or two before I stopped by. I couldn't cut due to the debris and the fact that insurance would need to stop by to take pics and such.

I called him and said "If you don't want me to mow your lawn any more, just SAY so!" LOL!

Sheesh. At this rate it will be July before I get him cut!
  #24  
Old 05-16-2012, 01:13 AM
Duekster Duekster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakNut View Post
Heh. Get this one.
I picked up a client last season. He's a biweekly, but it's OK because his lawn really doesn't grow much.
At the beginning of this season, I took a drive by and noted that it wasn't quite ready for the first cut. A few days later he called...

CLIENT:
"Hey, thanks for cutting the lawn - it didn't really need it yet, but that's OK - I put your check out, but I see it's still here."

ME:
I didn't cut it.

CLIENT:
I thought that was odd that you'd cut it without calling, or leaving a bill after you cut... well, who the fnck cut it then?!!

ME:
You got me. I didn't think you'd want it cut yet, so I was going to call next week.

CLIENT:
Sonofabeotch... who the "bleep" cut my grass?!!! You know you're my man and I wouldn't hire someone else... what the... I'm gonna get to the bottom of this, but I want you to cut it in two weeks.





About two weeks later client calls
...



CLIENT:
Those motherfnckers cut it AGAIN! I don't know who did it - no bill, or anything. I think they are supposed to be cutting the empty house next door!

ME:
You need to put up a sign that says "DO NOT CUT THE GRASS!"

CLIENT:
I apologize... I don't want you to be shorted - just come over next week and cut it even if it doesn't need it.

ME:
No problem, see you then!



The following week
...


(OakNut drives up to client's house - AGAIN)



WTF???!!!

The whole lawn is DESTROYED! Fence broken, trees sheared off, tire tracks gouged into the lawn, car parts everywhere, half a windshield lying there... holy CRAP!

Apparently a drunk plowed through, flipping the car onto it's roof in the middle of his front lawn a day or two before I stopped by. I couldn't cut due to the debris and the fact that insurance would need to stop by to take pics and such.

I called him and said "If you don't want me to mow your lawn any more, just SAY so!" LOL!

Sheesh. At this rate it will be July before I get him cut!
Loved this, made my day.

I really do not get the whole contract thing myself. What am I going to do, fight someone in court over 20 bucks if they do not want to pay?

I do my job and they pay. I get stiffed on first timers not my regular clients. I bill right away the first few times. I get to know the folks then start monthly billing.
  #25  
Old 05-16-2012, 01:51 AM
ashgrove landscaping's Avatar
ashgrove landscaping ashgrove landscaping is offline
LawnSite Silver Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: upstate, ny
Posts: 2,662
Yup time to take charge . I'm sick of the "oh i'm on social security and fixed income BS along with the "yeah i got out there with my push mower this week" BS Ya know what sorry Yer getting a bill for me showing up! Try that $h1t with the cable, phone or electric companies. Respect me or go fu% yourself ! You asked for the service, no pay up!
  #26  
Old 05-16-2012, 02:33 AM
Duekster Duekster is offline
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: DFW, TX
Posts: 7,971
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashgrove landscaping View Post
Yup time to take charge . I'm sick of the "oh i'm on social security and fixed income BS along with the "yeah i got out there with my push mower this week" BS Ya know what sorry Yer getting a bill for me showing up! Try that $h1t with the cable, phone or electric companies. Respect me or go fu% yourself ! You asked for the service, no pay up!
Maybe that is why they did not call?
  #27  
Old 05-16-2012, 03:49 AM
Richard Martin's Avatar
Richard Martin Richard Martin is online now
LawnSite Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Greenville, NC
Posts: 14,489
Never mind. I changed the post.
__________________
Serving Greenville, Winterville and Ayden NC




Last edited by Richard Martin; 05-16-2012 at 03:52 AM. Reason: I changed this post.
  #28  
Old 05-16-2012, 05:51 AM
Snapper Jack Snapper Jack is offline
LawnSite Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: weaverville, NC
Posts: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashgrove landscaping View Post
Yup time to take charge . I'm sick of the "oh i'm on social security and fixed income BS along with the "yeah i got out there with my push mower this week" BS Ya know what sorry Yer getting a bill for me showing up! Try that $h1t with the cable, phone or electric companies. Respect me or go fu% yourself ! You asked for the service, no pay up!
You feel better now and when was the last time you budgeted your income for paying bills off a messly SS check?
  #29  
Old 05-16-2012, 06:56 AM
herler herler is online now
LawnSite Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,355
This is what happens when you get certain folks stick a lawn mower in the trunk of their car and go driving around "looking," seems like they always end up targeting our accounts, some folks see nothing wrong with it but when it happens for the third time in the same day maybe you will see stars too, somehow the customer(s) see nothing wrong with it, they almost never call to let us know, the half of them lie about what happened (I am guessing this means they do know they did wrong by letting someone else mow it), I have lost accounts to these hacks because they tell the customer their regular Lco must not be doing a good job look at how tall the grass is (never mind I'm coming by in three hours), the customer later figures out their mistake but is too embarrassed to call me back, I have had folks let someone else cut it over a day (as in it's too long by Tuesday and I'm coming Wednesday but that's not soon enough but if I come Monday that's too soon or can I cut it lower or can I do it for $5 less), and honestly I'm going to cut this short but the list just goes on, and on.

Last edited by herler; 05-16-2012 at 07:03 AM.
  #30  
Old 05-16-2012, 07:06 AM
SSmith SSmith is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Cincinnati, Ohio
Posts: 447
This is why you have a contract. Even though the contract might not be worth much more than the paper it's written on, it will certainly deter people from doing this 99% of the time.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2012, LawnSite.comô - Moose River Media
All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:15 PM.

Page generated in 0.07882 seconds with 7 queries