Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Closed Thread

Old 05-17-2012, 01:13 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapper Jack View Post
Cutting grass isn't a specialized field and any Tom,Dick and Harry from the ghettos could fill your shoes.Good luck in collecting that 20.00
Hvac is not a specialized field either. My stepfather runs a Hvac business. Hardly any schooling required, mostly on the job training as with other trades. Now someone practicing law, doctor, accountant. Now that is a specialized field not just a common trade.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:28 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMlawncare View Post
Hvac is not a specialized field either. My stepfather runs a Hvac business. Hardly any schooling required, mostly on the job training as with other trades. Now someone practicing law, doctor, accountant. Now that is a specialized field not just a common trade.
That is real ignorance speaking there. HVAC is pretty hard. Ever heard of ASHRAE? How would you like to control the air flow and pressurization of a Hospital, common areas, patient rooms and operating rooms?

How about maintaining pressurization of a 60 story building. You want to know the logic and controls needed much less the math to under stand it all.

Get a grip. I cut grass and do irrigation because it is easy. No life threatening situations and emergency calls in the middle of the night.

You really have no clue. Sorry you have such a low opinion of your father in law.
Old 05-17-2012, 01:41 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Actually I taught myself everything there is to know about automotive A/C's and I have and can rebuild entire systems, risk and hospitals aside all a/c systems consist of the same components and once you learn one it isn't really that difficult, lawn and irrigation system maintenance also has its tricks and dangers such as running into the heat pump with the Ztr which combines the two industries instantly.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:31 AM
LawnSite Member

Im wondering to myself if the OP is a 17 year old and the lawn is that of his girlfriends parents. I cant believe anyone would let a single occurrence at a clients house like this make them feel entitled to being a jackass to someone that has hired them to do a service. In a business like this, customer service if probably the biggest part where you can really make an impression (lets get real here, were talking about lawn maintenance. There's not too many different ways to get the job done...). In today's economy/job market with the threat of job loss, lowering wages and financial uncertainty lawn car is hardly at the top of Americans "stuff to really worry about"n list.

How could you even think rationally that doing this would be in any way/shape/form beneficial to you? You do this for a living and it never occurred that perhaps a mistake was made and a mistake that could not be faulted to the home owner? The ONLY thing you could have gotten out of this was the feeling in your head that you were "telling them what time it was and you aint the guy that take crap from anyone" which in real life is not a good thing at all as it shows your mettle.

If I were that customer and was left a note like the one you said you left, you can bet your trailer you get an a#$ ripping from me over the phone at the very least, then id fire you, probably report you to the BBB and of course let everyone in my neighborhood/that I talk to know what lack of class and business skill you possessed.

You can also be assured that this will cost you much more than that $20 drive fee.

I can also see that there are quite a few people commenting that wouldn't earn my business as they too feel that making themselves feel bigger superceeds practicing proper business behavior.
ECHO PB-300e
Old beast! I cant wait to
get my new decals in the mail!!!
Old 05-17-2012, 07:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nutsedge View Post
Im wondering to myself if the OP is a 17 year old and the lawn is that of his girlfriends parents. I cant believe anyone would let a single occurrence at a clients house like this make them feel entitled to being a jackass to someone that has hired them to do a service. In a business like this, customer service if probably the biggest part where you can really make an impression (lets get real here, were talking about lawn maintenance. There's not too many different ways to get the job done...). In today's economy/job market with the threat of job loss, lowering wages and financial uncertainty lawn car is hardly at the top of Americans "stuff to really worry about"n list.

How could you even think rationally that doing this would be in any way/shape/form beneficial to you? You do this for a living and it never occurred that perhaps a mistake was made and a mistake that could not be faulted to the home owner? The ONLY thing you could have gotten out of this was the feeling in your head that you were "telling them what time it was and you aint the guy that take crap from anyone" which in real life is not a good thing at all as it shows your mettle.

If I were that customer and was left a note like the one you said you left, you can bet your trailer you get an a#$ ripping from me over the phone at the very least, then id fire you, probably report you to the BBB and of course let everyone in my neighborhood/that I talk to know what lack of class and business skill you possessed.

You can also be assured that this will cost you much more than that $20 drive fee.

I can also see that there are quite a few people commenting that wouldn't earn my business as they too feel that making themselves feel bigger superceeds practicing proper business behavior.
Almost every business utilizes an extra fee where something tangible isn't produced. It's a form of protection and perfectly acceptable. Cancellation, surcharge, consultation, etc.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:17 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

Quote:

Self employed for over 35 years..
Old 05-17-2012, 01:08 PM
LawnSite Senior Member

There is nothing wrong with having a charge for Anything really. I have one of my first non-mowing customers where I'm solely charging her for yard work. I told her my charge to do pickup and planting etc was $XX/hr. She wanted to burn a pile of the wood that I had piled up during the cleanup and told her in a jovial way that I'll make it worth her while and bring out my chainsaw and blower (leaves and trees we're taking down) and charge her the price for motorized cleanup work ($10 more/hr) to make it to where I'm not being paid that much money to just stand around. She aggreed.

Folks understand that you can't do everything for free. In this instance with that type of note I would expect not only non-payment of the sur-charge but being fired for how you approached. Not saying you will, but I would expect that looking in from the outside.
48" TTHP
2 44" Toro WB's
Shindaiwa weed eaters
Stihl Backpack Blowers
Stihl and Husqvarna Chainsaws
Old 05-17-2012, 02:20 PM
LawnSite Fanatic

Quote:

Oh no! Not the dreaded BBB threat and an azz ripping. If a customer raises their voice to me they are already looking at my backside. Especially when its something they did.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Patriot Services; 05-17-2012 at 02:25 PM.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:12 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:

I do believe in giving the customer the benefit of the doubt and being the bigger person...
i see a big difference in giving the customer the benefit of the doubt and bending over and taking anything that is thrown at me--Rude is not the way, however neither is the 'yes boss whatever you say sir'-its all a matter of tact and demeanor...
business skill is not equal to letting the customer waste your time and money as well as treating you poorly-
but yes, often it takes a bigger person to try and salvage a situation like this and certainly charging them without knowing what went on is not going to win friends and influence people
Old 05-17-2012, 07:16 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOturkey View Post
Aww man, don't you know professional people are feeling the recession too?
its a rough life!...I'd hate to be able to charge $250/hr
Closed Thread