Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 09-13-2012, 11:50 PM
LawnSite Silver Member

I bought a Husky 455 this past spring and it has served me well I subscribe to the buy once buy quality theme, I like both Husky and Stihl for all my handheld stuff. I wasn't really sure how much use it would get, but when I need it it's there, there's no "Damn I wish I had a chainsaw". As for Wheelbarrows, we use Gorilla carts the extra heavy duty ones much easier to deal with and we can hook it behind one of the mowers if we have to. I saw a husky 455 at northern tool today for around $400.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:36 PM
LawnSite Member

I've been running a little Stihl MS180 for a little over a year now. Serves me very well, great limbiing saw and when need be it'll still go through the 22 in main trunk with its 16 in bar (yeah I know stupid, I shouldn't do that too it). I plan on buying a Farm Boss next time I do a tree before I strain it again falling some hard wood.

If you have the cash for it, I'd recommend buying both the 290 (with a 20in bar) and a 180 (with a 14in or 16in, I recommend the 16 'cause you don't have to bend as far when you are limbing). IF you are only buying one, definitely go with the 290, bar length is up to you and your future plans. If you plan on buying a smaller saw one day, go with the 20in, if you don't, stick with a 16 or 18in.

Either way, maintain your damn saw. Run it dry if you don't plan on using it for more than a week, sharpen your own chains (you can buy an electric sharpener at Harbor Freight (shudder) for like 40 bucks, run 89 or 92 octane, use the stihl hp premium oil mix, don't beat the **** out of the saw, and it'll last you a good long while.

The point I am trying to make is the same that others have made here, buy a good tool, don't be lazy or ignorant, treat it well, take care of it, and you'll both save money and time in the long run.
Old 09-15-2012, 07:56 AM
LawnSite Member

I found a good stihl tree climbing saw for the cheap on craigslist. That thing rocks and made a lot of money off of it.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:44 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

260 pro is now 261.

More power than a 29 and lighter.

Just bought one and put a 20" bar and chain.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:01 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

You know, only you know your strength, but for starting out I wouldn't go much over a $300-$400 saw.

I still find the 021 / 210 to be one of the most versatile, good, all around saws, for one it doesn't have enough power to jump in my face (yes, literally) when something doesn't go the way it should. Stihl's picco chain has something going for it as well, one of the only chains in the world I can stick head first into a log at full throttle and it doesn't kick back in the least, not that I'd recommend doing that and you still have to be careful but picco chains are some of the safest in the world, granted they cost a bit more, too.

That was my first saw, an 021 Stihl.
I still have it, still use it, even after dropping it in a creek they apparently last forever.
They're so good I bought a 210 later, also still have that.

I later acquired a refurbished Husqvarna 455 Rancher for $300 and that's a really nice saw as well, lots more power and a 20" chain but without the picco technology you really have to be careful with this bad boy.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:53 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I had a 460 and it was just too heavy. I used it 8 years and sold it for enough to buy the 261.

MS200 is my main saw. Best trimming saw I ever had and it will take down a good sized tree.

Neither of these are entry level saws but I use them regularly.
Old 09-15-2012, 11:01 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

moving up from an electric one, anything on sale at sears or hd for 2-300 ought to feel like a mean machine but if you want a real commercial all arounder the MS261 is great. If your always doimg light stuff take a look at top handle arbor saws
Old 09-15-2012, 09:16 PM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Husky and Stihl is my rec was well. Currently have a 455 Husky and it's worked extremely well over the last three years. I've put it through some serious work and it performs flawlessly.
- Custom striping roller
- Pingel fuel filter
- Custom FIMCO boomless spray rig

1989 John Deer 1070 Compact Tractor - 40hp/4WD
- 70 series loader
- 506 rotary mower
- box scraper
- 84" plow w/full hydo
- ballast box
- aux lights

1993 John Deere Gator 6x4
- HD Field Trax tires
- brush/fender guards
- hydraulic dump bed w/storage and bed cover
- 2" receiver hitch
- HD front suspension
Old 09-16-2012, 12:19 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

stihl makes great saws and the smaller ones aren't that expensive I have a farm boss ms 290 with 16 inch bar that has served me for 9 years. But for this I wouldn't be able to resist bringing out the ms 441 with its 25 inch bar can you say 5 min job. Did a fleet purchase a few years back and the savings was so good I ended up getting that 800 dollar saw for free.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:47 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

for saws i only run stihl....i have an 020t, 200t, 201t and ms440 with a 28" bar, the 3 top handles have 14" bars and flat out rip, the oldest is over 30 years old and it still runs great to this day, i don't use it much, but i have it as a back up. the 200t is about 10 yrs old and it will out cut the 201t which is 11 months old. i use the top handles for doing overgrowth jobs, and cutting limbs which is what they are made for. also when cutting up an uprooted tree and a top handle is probably the safest, fastest way to do so, and i do a decent amount of that, enough to justify spending 600 on a such a small saw, and for bigger stuff, the 72cc 440 with the 28" bar rips through bigger wood no issues, i will admit for limbing trees the 440 is heavy, but it wasn't designed for that its made for cutting bigger wood, not small limbs. but with that said, cutting big wood all day long, i have very little if any fatigue running that saw, great power to weight ratio, even running the 660 for hours at a time i have no complaints, except i have to fill it up every 15-20 mins, but that's what you get when you hold a 92cc saw wide open.