Register free!
Search

Click for Weather

Old 05-16-2012, 09:33 PM
LawnSite Member

And thus the reason I came here to ask for advice - duh...

By the way I was able to find a label online located here.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:58 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage55 View Post
And thus the reason I came here to ask for advice - duh...

By the way I was able to find a label online located here.
I wish you good luck on asking for advice here in the future. Youre gonna need it...
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-19-2012, 07:52 AM
LawnSite Member

LoL, only if you're involved.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:15 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

The best place to start is here on the web with the label to the product you are using. Not all 2-4D products are the same. Each is concentrated for different turfgrass situations so please don't get confused. Ag. 2-4D and homeowner 2-4D is way different and even so for us pro sprayers. The concentrations are sizable.

Get a label and if you don't understand............get back with us.!!
Old 05-19-2012, 10:01 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think Green View Post
Obviously the other response is from someone who is using wal-mart products.
What does you label state to use??
It depends on the concentration of the Active ingredient as to how much you mix per gallon. 2-4D comes in many concentrations for different costs.
If you don't have a label, then go online and search for your product you have and read the online specimen label.

If you must know.......my professional blend of amine phenoxyatic acid is used at a rate of 1-1.5 oz's per thousand square feet of turfgrass.
The next thing you need to know is if your formulation is a amine acid or a ester.

If you go mixing what the nuckle head above stated, you will kill more than the weed.
Think Green is correct and I have to add if you don't yet know how to read the label to find the correct mixture you sure don't know about drift.

Whatever you do, don't spray this stuff when there is any wind you'll kill anything else around your place not to mention your neighbors.

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 05-19-2012, 10:13 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sage55 View Post
Gaaaah

Comment 1: Thanks for the incredibly insightful post. I'll never understand why people can bother posting worthless crap but not helpful. To each their own.

Comment 2: I've contacted Southern States, the place I purchased it from, and they suggest 2oz per gallon.

For what it's worth, the bottle did not have a label on it other than the printed name. I'm assuming the stick on label fell off.

Thanks.
I think I posted a bit pre maturely, didn't see there was a second page

I see your from central KY? I feel for yu

Southern States
If they knew which way was up they'd be dangerous

All I'm going to say from here is

Pay attention to Think Green before you get into a heap of trouble and kill more then you want killed.

God created man, man plants grass, fertilized and watered the grass to watch it grow. Man cut grass and this confused God; in his infinite wisdom where did he go wrong? Why would man work, plant, water and once it grew cut it down just to see the process repeat.

Then God created Women
Old 05-19-2012, 10:33 AM
LawnSite Silver Member

sage,
The first thing that all consumers need to understand is to inspect the container before purchase unless it was purchased online.
I take off the cap and see if the foil protector is intact. The second thing is to see if the label is intact. If there is no label then someone at the store has removed it prior to purchase and this is dangerous to the consumer. To me it is no different than buying a unlabeled can of vegetables from the store. It is unlawful to sell a product without its appropriate label. We pro's have to carry the labels in our vehicles along with MSDS sheets for accidents. I feel that consumers are being misled into purchasing things that can be destructive without pertinent information.
Just the other day........at ACE Hardware, I noticed a product in their pesticide department. It is a product that CLEARLY states to be purchased by certified and licensed professionals only. Now, I won't get into the product because I purchased 5 bottles of this stuff..............40.00 each. for 9 ounces of product each. This stuff is for insects inside and outside.
My point is in retail sales, staff is often uneducated to direct consumers and the management is helpless in education also. The products are sent by corporate initiatives to lure the consumer. I have read on this site of big suppliers not providing adequate labeling for professional products also. I am saddened to know that the labels are becoming more and more unclear to read .............especially, when the manufacturer's are printing the information illegibly. How often has someone looked at the label and can't read the blurred or smeared print because it is printed on wild colored backgrounds.??
Consumer's are being lured by beautifully colored bottles and fancy glittery labels.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:19 PM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Think Green View Post
sage,
The first thing that all consumers need to understand is to inspect the container before purchase unless it was purchased online.
I take off the cap and see if the foil protector is intact. The second thing is to see if the label is intact. If there is no label then someone at the store has removed it prior to purchase and this is dangerous to the consumer. To me it is no different than buying a unlabeled can of vegetables from the store. It is unlawful to sell a product without its appropriate label....

Just the other day........at ACE Hardware, I noticed a product in their pesticide department. It is a product that CLEARLY states to be purchased by certified and licensed professionals only. Now, I won't get into the product because I purchased 5 bottles of this stuff..............40.00 each. for 9 ounces of product each. This stuff is for insects inside and outside.
My point is in retail sales, staff is often uneducated to direct consumers and the management is helpless in education also. The products are sent by corporate initiatives to lure the consumer. I have read on this site of big suppliers not providing adequate labeling for professional products also. I am saddened to know that the labels are becoming more and more unclear to read .............especially, when the manufacturer's are printing the information illegibly. How often has someone looked at the label and can't read the blurred or smeared print because it is printed on wild colored backgrounds.??
Consumer's are being lured by beautifully colored bottles and fancy glittery labels.
Some states enforce the the sales to licensed folks only language. Other states it's only restricted if the label actually says so.

One other thing with any 2,4-D. Some of you are masters at getting it to stay put in hot weather. Sage, I would avoid using it on "hot" days. That can be as low as 80˚F. And avoid any mornings with no winds when inversions may be around. Even amine can get up and go as volatiles and wreck havoc down the road. We got way too many grape vineyards around here that make using any 2,4-D exciting. Wiping out someone's veggie garden is one thing, taking out some acreage of wine grapes is a whole other deal.
Old 05-21-2012, 07:30 PM
LawnSite Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik View Post
Some states enforce the the sales to licensed folks only language. Other states it's only restricted if the label actually says so.

One other thing with any 2,4-D. Some of you are masters at getting it to stay put in hot weather. Sage, I would avoid using it on "hot" days. That can be as low as 80˚F. And avoid any mornings with no winds when inversions may be around. Even amine can get up and go as volatiles and wreck havoc down the road. We got way too many grape vineyards around here that make using any 2,4-D exciting. Wiping out someone's veggie garden is one thing, taking out some acreage of wine grapes is a whole other deal.
You make a good point, so much so that as soon as my grape vines started to bud this year the 2,4 D went in the closet.

Then God created Women