Register free!

The Green Industry's Resource Center

Old 05-16-2012, 12:28 AM
LawnSite Member

Help me decide between these string trimmers

I'm a homeowner looking for a new string trimmer for my personal use. I have a normal run-of-the-mill tract house, but I still want a decent trimmer. I purchased an Echo GT-200R from HD about 4-5 years ago. I've never been completely satisfied with it because of its lack of power. Granted, I don't do any heavy trimmer, and the lack of power was really a mental issue versus an actual physical hindrance to getting the job done. So when the GT-200R ceased working recently, I wasn't too upset at the though of replacing it.

So I've been doing some looking in local stores as well as researching online, and I've narrowed it down to a few. I'm looking for suggestions to help me make my final decision. Budget is around $200, and I want to buy at a local store.

Here's my short list, along with notable pros or cons that I'm aware of.

Kawasaki KTFR27A. This is Kawasaki's residential trimmer. Has a good size commercial engine, but has a "3 bearing residential gearhead". Not sure how this type of gearhead compares to my other choices. Also has braided steel cable drive, which does not bother me. $199 from local dealer.

Tanaka TCG22EASSLP. Smaller 21cc motor. 7 year consumer warranty. Don't know much else about this trimmer, but I've heard that Tanaka makes good equipment. How does the power compare to my current Echo? $199 from local dealer.

Stihl FS55R. Big motor. Legendary Stihl name, but I've read that their reputation has gone down over the last few years. $220 from local dealer.

Echo SRM-215. Not too impressed with Echo based on my previous trimmer, and this looks to have a similar sized motor. Dealers say that this one is better, but they can't necessarily say that I'll be happier with the power. Also, this unit just seems a little over-built to me, meaning too much plastic and they tried to make it look too pretty. $199 from just about every equipment shop + HD in the area.

That's about it for choices. So what do you think?
Old 05-16-2012, 01:56 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

IMO, you really can't go wrong with Stihl, though there's always going to be someone who will pose a debate on that. I haven't run a Stihl that I didn't like, but I would advise anyone to steer clear of their lithium ion line-up. I can't speak for the rest of the options listed above as I haven't used any of them.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-16-2012, 02:05 AM
LawnSite Gold Member

I would say the Echo but I am biased because that's all I run and haven't been disappointed with them, and I believe you mean the SRM-225.
Old 05-16-2012, 02:23 AM
LawnSite Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawnMan19 View Post
I would say the Echo but I am biased because that's all I run and haven't been disappointed with them, and I believe you mean the SRM-225.

Yes, sorry, meant the SRM-225
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-16-2012, 04:07 AM
LawnSite Fanatic

I have not heard about the reputation failure you speak about.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:19 AM
LawnSite Member

My dealer let me demo a couple models today to make my choice. I don't know if your local dealers would do that or not but it couldn't hurt to ask.

I also heard the Husqvarna 128l was a great trimmer. It has a 28cc motor and is in your price range.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:50 AM
LawnSite Bronze Member

Husqvarna 223L Straight Shaft Trimmer
Old 05-16-2012, 10:49 AM
LawnSite Member

I just got a Husq 326ls. Awesome. Find a 223L. Both are under 10 lbs!

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=373772

2012 F150FX Scab
2011 Scag 52" Vride
(3) Craftsman 42" riders
(1) John Deer 318 not working
(1) older Agrifab tow leaf sucker-upper, works good
(1) 2011 Echo Long shaft hedge trimmer
(1) 07' Honda single stage snow blower
(1) 2010 18" Echo chainsaw
(1) 2012 Husqvarna 326LS trimmer
(1) 2011 Ariens Pro 32" snow thrower
Old 05-16-2012, 11:05 AM
LawnSite Senior Member

I have the kawasaki KTFR27A. I bought it about a month ago and use it for light commercial work (Only 11 accounts part time) and it's great. I went with it because it was one of the lightest trimmers but still had decent power. I do very little if any "brush" trimming, only basic trimming of grass around obstacles. I put a speedfeed head (375 model) on mine and it's awesome. I was on the fence between the FS55 and the Kawasaki. I ended up getting the Kawasaki for $190 because it was their display model (it had never been used, just open box).
Old 05-16-2012, 02:24 PM
LawnSite Member

Husky 223L for me, it was 10 lbs versus a comparable echo of 14 lbs. Its not a powerhouse though, if you need big power it may not be the one for you. I only trim around trees and landscaping so it is plenty for what do.